PDA

View Full Version : Really Random: Alternate option for expensive stockings?

akc
04-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi all -

Sorry to be so random, but I seem to go to the BB Lounge for all sorts of advice, so I thought I'd give it a shot. And, I do mean panty hoes, not Xmas stockings. I need a pair that's really ultra sheer, and I usually get Donna Karan The Nudes. They are so darn expensive though - $18 at my department store, and I'm sick of them getting a run the first day making it money down the drain. I could probably find them online for less, but I don't have time - need them for my DD's Baptism on Sunday.

Anyone have a recommendation as to stockings that are as sheer as the D. Karan ones, but are not as expensive? Thx!

Alexa

ddmarsh
04-14-2004, 09:19 AM
I can't recommend specific brands since I wear tights more than hose but did want to mention that you can pick up lots of brands at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Also, a tip for helping to prevent runs is to thoroughly wet the hose then freeze until they are solid. Just defrost and wear as usual :).

HTH -

alkagift
04-14-2004, 09:49 AM
I'll second TJMaxx and Marshalls for Calvin Klein, DKNY, and Evan Picone hose. When you have time for shipping, you can also look up www.onehanesplace.com for the silk reflections "absolutely ultra sheer" line--a pack of three for $12.50. That's where I got mine when I worked and wore hose 3-4 times a week. Buying in bulk helps! They are not quite as sheer as the DK's but very close and feel good.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

caleymama
04-14-2004, 10:15 AM
I haven't worn the Donna Karan ones, but for when I use stockings I like No Nonsense Almost Bare. I like my stockings to be sheer and not shiny and these fit the bill. They also have a color (lighter than nude ... can't remember the exact name) that works well for my pale, pale legs.

Marisa6826
04-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Not that I wear them often at all anymore, but I used to be a HUGE fan of the Calvin Kleins till I found the Hane's Barely There ones.

I think I got them at Target.

They're cheap enough that if you can only get one or two wearings out of them it's no big deal. Unlike the $10-15/pr ones from my previous life ;)

-m

brubeck
04-14-2004, 02:20 PM
I also shop for nylons at Ross and Marshalls. It's a bit of a dig but you can find lots of nice quality ones for $2 a pair or less! I like the Jockey ones best myself.

If you are near an outlet mall, you can also get the discounted 3-packs of Hanes nylons at the Hanes outlet. They have ALL Hanes styles and colors.

If you get a run (and you notice it right away) you can stop it from spreading by putting a dab of nail polish on there (and letting it dry). Obviously clear polish works best! If you are in a work/office situation you can substitute liquid paper or (if you are really desperate) rub a Uhu Glue Stick around it.

lizajane
04-14-2004, 04:29 PM
no nonsense panty hose are made by the same people as calvein klein. (or was it dkny? one of the fancy brands, i don't remember now.) they are made on the same machines with the same supplies. i used to advertise for them. give them a try. you'd be surprised.

HoneymoonBaby
04-14-2004, 06:08 PM
This is sort of embarrassing for me to post, since I'm something of a fashion plate/clothing snob, but L'eggs Sheer Energy and Silken Mist pantyhose are a total winter staple of mine. They're cheap, they look fine, and they last. I've bought tons of more expensive stockings, and they all run more quickly than L'eggs (with one exception, Victoria's Secret).

If you can't get past the idea of wearing pantyhose purchased at the grocery store (trust me, I understand), then the only pantyhose worth the money are Victoria's Secret, IMO. Their control-tops are on sale 4/$29.50 right now, so that makes them $7.38 each. Not bad . . . if I weren't seven months pregnant, I'd buy some myself!

jubilee
04-14-2004, 07:03 PM
I wear (or I should say USED to wear when I worked) JCPenney brand. They are great. I never would have tried them except I read in Consumer Reports they gave them the best rating. So I tried them out and LOVE them! I never have gotten a run in one either... I'm serious never. And I used to wear nylons everyday for work, now my uniform is jeans and shirts!