PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar w/ the book: The Purpose Driven Life????

cchavez
04-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I am thinking about getting this as a gift for my Mom b/c it seems like it would be very helpful to her right now. Anyway, I know it is Christian based book but how intense is it???? My Mom is very religious but DH and I are not. We have faith but we aren't regular church going people. We both grew up in strict Catholic households and religion was forced upon us.....We are more about putting an emphasis on doing good actions and our believe is that going to church every Sunday does not have to determine whether you are a good or bad person. One of my closet friends from college was an atheist and she is one of the kindest people I know. Anyway, I am rambling, like I said I would like to get this book for my Mom but I don't want her to come back and say well, in the book you gave me it said that you are Carlos are doing wrong by not going to church, etc......any insight is appreciated. TIA!

Thanks.

llcoddington
04-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I haven't read this book, but I am familiar with it. I think it is more about having a relationship with God, not about religion or church-going. Here is a brief synopsis that I pulled from the author's website.

The Purpose Driven Life
Description: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. The purpose of your life is greater than your own personal fulfillment, your career, or even your happiness. To know why you exist, you must first know the One who created you and the five purposes for which you were created. Written in a captivating devotional style, The Purpose-Driven Life features 40 short, life-changing chapters that reveal God's purpose for your life. Make the rest of your life the best of your life and start right now.
You were...
*planned for God's pleasure (Worship)
*formed for God's family (Fellowship)
*created to become like Christ (Discipleship)
*shaped for serving God (Ministry)
*made for a mission (Evangelism)

Edited to add: If you are interested, the website is www.purposedrivenlife.com

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

MommytoDylan
04-14-2004, 02:23 PM
My DH and I are reading this book right now together. We really enjoy it and are about half way through. What I am taking from it is more just encouragement and inspiration to live my life well. While DH and are are church going people, we haven't been to church regularly since DS was born over a year ago. DS has asthma and gets sick often so we aren't going to risk putting him in the nursery. All that to say, we are reading the book and neither of us feel guilty for not going to church. I miss it and wish I could go but more for what I take from it (peace, encouragement, support) and not because I "should" be in church.

My hair stylist was actually reading this book with her neighbors in sort of a book club and most in the group were not religious people. They all enjoyed it so much they were picking another book to go through together or maybe rereading the Purpose Driven Life slower because they had felt rushed the first time (they were reading a chapter a day).

HTH,
Meredith

cchavez
04-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks you guys! I was checking out the website too and it looks great! I think I will get it for me mom. :)