PDA

View Full Version : What's the earliest you took your baby for studio pictures?

CBB
04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
DD is almost 1 month old. We are thinking about getting some professional or studio pictures, ie JC Penny, Sears. But we are afraid that she will be fussy or won't be awake when the time comes. How early did you take your baby for studio pictures? Any recommendations as to where to go?

TIA!

mamicka
04-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Almost 10 months & we haven't yet.

Allison

pamela mom of 3
04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
We went to sears...all the babies were 1mth/2mths old

Good Luck :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

heidi_timms
04-14-2004, 06:32 PM
I think DD was one or two months old when we first took her and I'm glad we did. Those moments go by so quickly and they grow so fast. We took DD at 1 month, 3 months, 5 months, 7 months, 9 months, and 11 months so far. Two of those dates concurred with Christmas and Easter so, they were actually holiday photos as well.

During the 1 month portraits, she was definitely awake due to the lights, jostling around, changing into her outfit, etc. Then again, she was a very alert baby, so I can see there might be problems with a not so alert baby.

Hope this helps!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

sarahfran
04-14-2004, 06:40 PM
I took Dylan at about 6mos. Wished I'd taken him earlier. We went to Target -- I was amazed at how classy the photos were... simple black background, Dylan stripped down to diaper, me in black sweater so just our skin was visible. Really great. I don't know if I just got a great Target studio or if they'd all be so good, but I highly recommend!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

jbowman
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
We've had Ellie's pictures taken twice at Sears (at 2 months and at 3 months). At the "2-month" photo session, the (*very patient*) photographer took exactly one picture before she started crying (LOL, at least it was an ok picture--I said to the photographer, "it's a tough decision, but I guess we'll go with that pose!"). At the "3-month" session the photographer was able to get 6 different poses (a record!). If you want some pictures, schedule a photo session. I think the photographers deal with babies all of the time, and if you ultimately have to cancel your appointment or it doesn't turn out how you expected, it's no big deal! Have fun!

llcoddington
04-14-2004, 06:46 PM
We took Lauren when she was 12 days old. We did black and white pictures (close-ups) while she was asleep. My favorite pictures!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Melanie
04-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Somewhere around one month. Just be ready for the photos to be of her asleep. I think we got 1 of Ds awake before he started crying, then I nursed him (they were nice and accommodating about taking a meal break) and then of course he was asleep. We went to picture people. It was nice, I think I like Kiddie Kandids better. It really depends upon the type of photo you want. They take more 'poses' at Picture People, but they use film so they don't know if the shot comes out. At Kiddie kandids, I think they take 4 but it's digital so they retake it immediately until it comes out okay.

For the 1st year we bought the Picture People membership thing and went in every 3 months. They change so much that year. The second year we did every 6 months...Now we're on year three and I'm just doing random occasions.

If your daughter's "naptimes" don't fall in line with those traditionally of older children, then take advantage of that to get more personal time at the studio. It was pretty crazy there for our first one because it was at Christmas, and I think we even went on a weekend, so they were running really late. Kiddie kandids does not give appointments, picture people does.

mandye
04-14-2004, 07:42 PM
We didn't take Hailey in until she was almost 3 months old when she was alert and actively smiling. If I had to do it all over again, though, I would take her in sooner and get pics of her sleeping and all wrapped up in a blanket or laying on her stomach in her diaper.

Mandy

C99
04-14-2004, 07:46 PM
I took Nathaniel when he was 6 weeks old, mostly because my uncle took some gorgeous pictures of me when I was the same age and I wanted to compare them. However, having a professional-photographer uncle take photos of full-term (in fact, overdue!) 6-week-old and having a quick-service studio take photos of a premature 6-week-old made for 2 very different sets of photos! Nathaniel was asleep for most of the photo shoot; a few of the shots did come out and are very sweet. We went to the Picture People.

ETA: We had quick-shoot photos taken of Nate at 6-weeks, 3-months, 6-months, 12-months and (almost 15-months). Also had really great studio photos taken when Nate was 8-months, which is why we skipped the photo shoot at 9-months.

June
04-14-2004, 08:46 PM
We went at six weeks for black and whites. DD fussed almost the whole time. We, too, had to take a nursing break. I was tense the whole time. It was not a good experience for me, but I'm glad I have the pictures. I think it would be a good thing if you're baby does nap during the photo shoot. Those tiny baby napping pictures are the best! What kind of expression can they really have at six weeks anyway. They get much more animated later on - even at three months.

emschwar
04-14-2004, 09:43 PM
I used to work at walmart portrait studio. We had people bring babies in that were a few days old, some even stopped in on the way home from the hospital. You can get some decent pics of really young ones as long as you don't expect a lot and don't mind sleeping baby pics. The pic options become a lot more once they can hold their heads up. More posing choices that way.

farsk
04-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Hello!

We went to a photographers house when Ellen was two weeks old and got the most gorgeous pictures! She was fussy, insisted on nursing lots, and pee'd and poop'd on me! (we were taking nekkid baby pics!)

Good Luck! It's worth it!

Jen in Chicago
04-15-2004, 09:53 AM
3 weeks

We have mostly gone to Sears and have great pictures to prove it. We went monthly for the first 6 months. I use those coupons from the magazines and just get the package so I can go again soon!

HoneymoonBaby
04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Did you go to the one in Reston? I was just noticing in Fairfax the other day how classy the sample photos were . . . good to hear a positive review from someone who has taken the plunge. I was ready to call our wedding photographer ($$$$$$$) for the portraits before I saw the display at Tar-jay.

amp
04-15-2004, 11:42 AM
We went at 3 mths. I almost wish we had gone earlier. I keep seeing pics of mommy or daddy holding the sleeping baby or just the sleeping baby in a cute positiong (rear end up in the air, etc) that are so incredibly precious I could eat them up! Being asleep is not a bad thing! I say go! And if she's fussy, you can always reschedule. And if the pics don't turn out, you don't have to buy any that day.

ETA: We've done our pics at Target for 3mth, 6mth & 9 mth. We will go again at 1 yr. We've been happy with the results and the price. No sitting fee. $5.99 portrait sheets w/ coupon if you order that day.

sweetbasil
04-15-2004, 12:43 PM
We've gone to JC Penneys with both boys- at 3mo, 6mo, 9mo, 12mo, 18mo, then annually after that. At the 3mo sittings, we did pics with babe and mama (both times), and for Charlie's 3mo we did pics with him and his big bro, too.

We signed up for Smile Savers package and paid for it within the first two sittings with Kellen and again (it expires after 2 years) with Charlie- it paid for itself in the first sitting that time. Yay!

I have extra coupons for their pics at $3.99/sheet or $8.99/package...lmk if you'd like a sheet!