PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk American Idol!!!

papal
04-14-2004, 10:58 PM
So, did you watch tonight? What did you think? What are your predictions? Who are your favorites?
My favorites so far are.. in order:
1. Fantasia. Fantastic, original, entertaining.
2. LaToya(?) The last girl who sang tonight. Confident, great voice.
3. Jennifer (she used to have curly hair but now it is straight). Huge voice, getting better every week.

Those that are not in the same league:
1. Red-haired boy. He should have been eliminated long ago.
2. Pen salesman.. JPL. Only good when singing Elvis.
3. Jasmine from Hawaii. Sweet but others are better.
4. Diana. She has great potential.. she is just 16! wow!

Not sure about : George Huff. Great voice but lacking in entertainment value... i don't know.. i find him boring.

mamicka
04-14-2004, 11:14 PM
My top 3 are identical to yours. Fant-Asia (I lov how Simon says it) did awesome tonight.

Of the rest, I like George Huff, but not tonight. I like JPL as entertainment - its really endearing how he dances around but can never find the beat. I'm so impressed with Diana but think she's not ready. The others I just find boring. There's no one left that I just can't stand.

Allison

Sarah1
04-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Aw, I love George! He's so upbeat and positive, and as you said he's got a great voice. DH really likes George too, but his favorite is pretty much Fantasia.

The redhead has GOT to go. Yeah, he has a distinct sound, but it ends there. I've gotta give it to him, though, he's weathered all the criticism really well. They have been HARSH.

And by the way, I loved what a geek Quentin Tarantino was. He cracked me up.

Btw...you know who is bugging the CRAP out of me? That judge, Randy! I can't stand how he always says "yo, what up dawwwwwwwwwwwwg" and "it was AH-ight, it was just AH-ight for me man". At first, I thought it was mildly funny, but after a few episodes (this is the first season we've watched this), I was like, geez, get a vocabulary! When I listen to him critique people, I feel myself losing IQ points.

MelissaTC
04-14-2004, 11:20 PM
I type this as I sit hitting re-dial on my phone to vote...LOL...

My favorites are :

1. George Huff - In this house, it is ALL about George.
2. LaToya London - I think she is very beautiful and talented.

I wouldn't mind seeing either one of these two win.

I don't mind Jennifer Hudson although I think she can be a bit over the top. I also like Jasmie Trias and Diana DeGarmo but I think they are out of their league.

I DO NOT like Fantasia at all. Listening to her voice is like listening to nails scratch over a chalkboard for me. I don't get her at all. She sounds like Macy Gray to me and I don't like Macy Gray. I also don't like the way she adds in "yeah yeah yeah yeah" to every song she sings. Somehow, I have a feeling that she will walk away from this competition a winner whether she actually wins it or not.

ETA that I am sick of the Johns. They need to go! }(

papal
04-14-2004, 11:31 PM
ROTFL Sarah.. totally laughing out loud at your Randy comments.. yes yes yes.. i feel like I am losing IQ points when i listen to him to..
Why can he not say ALLRIGHT. Why does he say What's up DAWG? And what are PROPS??? it was funny maybe the FIRST time. He is so annoying.

And yes, Tarantino was HILARIOUS!!!! I wish he was a permanent judge instead of Randy and Paula.

papal
04-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Melissa.. you are so sweet.. i am too lazy to actually dial the number....totally a monday-morning-quarterback here! heehee.

You don't like Fantasia?? I agree.. the YEAH YEAH is a bit much..but i love her voice.. i am a Macy Gray fan too so i guess that is why i like her so much. I think tonight, Fantasia's song selection was the best. I think they should BAN Celine and Whitney songs from the competition.. BORING!

jamsmu
04-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Melissa -- I am with you!! I have said since the beginning that Fantasia is just like Macy Gray--too heavy for me. And she's emotional, but I think its a little fake. And, without bringing a huge debate here (I hope I'm not offending anyone) I don't think she'd be great role model, which an idol should be.

I really like LaToya and George. Didn't get to see George tonight, but he just has charisma and best bud-ish-ness.

I still like JPL, but I just like his spunk, not his voice. The other John, cute kid... headed to b'way, not an idol.

papal
04-14-2004, 11:41 PM
JULIE.. tell tell.. why is Fantasia not a good role model??? What did she do??? What did I miss?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
I agree with your list, except I do like George Huff.

I think it is going to be an all girl final three this time. America seems to love Red, but I don't know why. And yet, I find myself rooting for him each week even when I cringe while he sings.

Weren't the Elton John songs just awful the week they did those?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

papal
04-14-2004, 11:53 PM
I think Red has incredible maturity for his age.. and impeccable manners... and his grandparents looks so sweet. :)

OH MY GOD... the Elton John songs were the WORST. They sound so simple but I guess are incredibly hard to sing... also, i am a sing-a-long kind of person, so i wish Huff had sung a Elton song that i knew. I think whatever he sang, he was the only one who sang it well that night...that i can remember.

Sarah1
04-14-2004, 11:53 PM
>Weren't the Elton John songs just awful the week they did
>those?
>
UGH......absolutely painful. Made me realize how talented Elton John is!

Rachels
04-15-2004, 01:34 AM
She was a teenage mom. From what I can tell, though, she's a pretty devoted one. I am okay with her role-model potential.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

new_mommy25
04-15-2004, 01:48 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE FANTASIA!!

himom
04-15-2004, 06:17 AM
I'm conflicted...

I think Fantasia & LaToya both have great voices, but they are kind of run-of-the-mill. Nice, powerful, etc, but nothing that is different than the millions of CDs already out by others with even more talent.

I commend JPL for making me laugh and having a lot of guts, but he only really does well when he sings Elvis.

Red John -- don't get me started. He does ok on certain types of songs, but not anything I would ever buy a CD of.

Jasmine annoys me so I'm kind of prejudiced against her, voice or no voice. She's from the same town I am so I should be supportive but in actuality I wish she would represent us a little better. I have to keep reminding myself that she's only 16 and many 16 year olds are big fakes, so she's not all that different. Plus I'm getting tired of her since she's constantly on TV here.

So....I might be going for George. I also really like some of what Diana has done.

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

cinrein
04-15-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm kind of disappointed with AI this season. Maybe it's because there are many more young kids in it. I don't know, none of them have that special something for me this year. However, my faves are:

La Toya--great, she makes it look easy!

George--he has the kindest eyes. I like his voice, but not so great last night.

Jennifer-she has a good voice, but an incredible talent for picking the wrong songs. She can belt it out in the higher range and few people can, but she usually picks songs that are in the lower range.

Fantasia-I think she's good, but she's not my fave. I thought she was exceptional last night and was surprised the judges favorable comments brought her to tears.

Simply Red--Oh, he's such a sweet boy. I feel bad for him, but really he's not AI material.

JPL-he's cute, but also out of his league.

Jasmine-too inconsistent for me. And I'm so over the flower!

Diana--something about her is very annoying to me. She can belt songs out, but there isn't much else there. Probably due to her tender age. I thought she was awful last night---the worse one.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

MartiesMom2B
04-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Why Why Why!!! Do people keep voting in Red John. He stinks. I don't know why they let him advance to this competition. The only records that he can sell are Dean Martin/Frank Sinatra knockoffs. There is a market for it, but it's not American Idol.

I'm not sure who my favorite is yet. I'm still evaluating. I am pleased with most of the people they've knocked off so far. However I have a feeling that George may have been voted off, because he wasn't as good as usual.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mamicka
04-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Ditto.

Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

stillplayswithbarbies
04-15-2004, 11:28 AM
yes I am afraid it may be George too. He seemed to have more personality at first, but now the other guys are coming out of their shells, so George is fading to the background.

I predict George, Jasmine, and Diana in the bottom three.

Red did better last night than he has been, and I think he is still America's sweetie, so it's not his time to go yet. He sort of reminds me of Harry Connick Jr, and I would definitely buy his CD, but he just can't break out of his genre and therefore is not AI material.

He's still loads better than Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini though.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hobey
04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
It's all about George and Fantasia at our house with LaToya a close third. I like JPL when he's being silly. DH made a comment a few weeks ago that you can really tell the difference between the under 20 contestants and the rest. Simon hit it on the head last night when he was talking about maturity and children trying to be adults. I think that's why neither Jasmine or Diana connected with me. We also think Red would do better on Broadway.

The Elton John show was an absolute train wreck. I had to put on the real thing right after the show to keep from becoming permanently scarred.

Why, oh why can't all the guest judges be like Quentin Tarantino? Goofy but HONEST.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

MartiesMom2B
04-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Karen:

To me Red looks like Conan O Brian.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

llcoddington
04-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I thought Fantasia was amazing last night! She sang the heck out of that song. I also like Jennifer. And, JPL cracks me up. (DH really likes JPL. Probably because they are both short.)

I don't particularly care for Jasmine, Diana, Red John or LaToya. And, George is ok.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

murpheyblue
04-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Since I'm currently living in the SF Bay Area I have to root for LaToya who is an Oakland girl. I thinks she's awesome. Obviously, Fantasia is great too! I think George is a sweet guy with a great voice and I also like Diana and Jennifer. Why oh why can't we get rid of John Stevens and JPL?

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

brubeck
04-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Okay I know I am setting myself up here but I have to say something. I LOVE RED! I love his voice and I think he's got a lot of potential. Admittedly I also love the style of music that suits his voice but I don't see that as a problem for me.

Frankly I suspect he's not mainstream enough to win, but I would love to see him finish around 4th and jump into a Broadway or Harry Connick Jr. type career.

I also like Jasmine. I think her voice is great but she needs to work on showing herself off. She just comes across as meek and mild and doesn't shine as much as the bolder girls.

I HATE Fantasia. She is an okay singer but she sounds like a billion other singers I have heard before. Nothing unique about her at all. If she wins she will be another Ruben (flash in the pan) and NOT another Clay (serious long-term potential). But the reason I dislike her is because of her attitude. She always acts so high and mighty like she has already won the whole thing and everyone else is beneath her. She has even given some lip to the judges when they criticize her (in even the slightest way) and is just a total prima donna.

Okay everyone can bash my opinions now! :)

JLiebCamm
04-15-2004, 10:15 PM
LaToya is my favorite. She's beautiful, talented, and poised. I also like Fantasia but I can understand why whe turns some people off. George has a great voice but reminds me of Forrest Gump. Red John would be great to listen to on an album of old standards but seems to lack personality and is no fun to watch (thus not fitting 'idol' criteria). Diana has a great voice but needs to develop more into her own. Jennifer has an awesome voice and I think it's tremendous that she lost so much weight but there's a crazy look in her eyes that bugs me. Jasmine is cute but doesn't have what it takes. I guess that's all of them since JPL disappeared tonight!