PDA

View Full Version : Fifth's Disease?

newbelly2002
04-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Less than 48 hours pre-vacation, Dante gets sick. The jury is still out as to whether his symptoms are indicative of a food allergy (most likely culprit: eggs) or Fifth's Disease (which is currently going around Berlin, and Dante's best buddy attends Kindergarten full time thus dubbing him "Plague Boy").

What are folks experience with this? Ways to treat it, ease his symptoms? He's pretty unhappy and clearly uncomfortable--a real change from his usual self. Any way to tell for sure if it is one or the other? Would Benedryl help in either/both cases? Thanks!

Deperate for information,

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

McQ
04-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Paula ~ send MamaKath an e:mail or post a note for her to e:mail you in the stroller forum. Her son was just diagnosed with 5th's and I know she doesn't get into the Lounge much these days.

Sorry Dante's not feeling well. Let's hope it's the eggs!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

ddmarsh
04-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Paula Fifth's is also known as the "slapping disease" and very often the cheeks have a look literally like they have been slapped. One of my sons had it last year and fortunately it didn't last very long.

I sure hope he is feeling better soon whatever the cause may be.

momma_boo
04-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Paula,

Here is a link w/ some info on Fifth's Disease: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083500.asp

I actually caught it when I was in high school during a summer when I was working with little kids. I had a rash all over my legs and my joints were really achey. (Had no clue what I had until the woman I baby-sat for remembered reading about it).

If the rash is bothering him, the info from AskDr.Sears says Benadryl would help.

I hope he feels better soon!