PDA

View Full Version : Terrible childcare tragedy

ddmarsh
04-15-2004, 01:06 PM
The family in this article is my sister's neighbor and she says they are just the most sweet, wonderful people. I hope we all can send a prayer out for that poor baby and the family.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/pittsburgh/s_189401.html

momma_boo
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
That story sent such chills down my back. My heart goes out to the family and their poor baby.

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL...
Debbie our prayers and thoughts are with them...

I have promised myself if any childless young teen or anyone ever watches my child to spend a good few minutes educating them that if they ever ever get frustrated with crying etc... to call someone, me or something...to fess up to them that they might get frustrated if my child cries but that they are to call for help and to be educated on this....

It breaks my heart...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Rachels
04-15-2004, 02:59 PM
OMG, how dreadful. I'm thinking of that family...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

amp
04-15-2004, 03:16 PM
This is one of my biggest fears, and the reason I have never left Jacob with anyone other than DH, grandparents and our closest friends (the whole family at once). I worry so much that if he frustrates me, but I'm the mommy and love him and have the internal controls to handle this, what would a person who didn't have that attachment to him and no impulse or anger control do? My child is not always an easy child. I just don't trust anyone else to make sure he is safe even when he's miserable!

Heartbreaking for that family. Our prayers are with them and their little boy.

aliceinwonderland
04-15-2004, 03:32 PM
this makes me sick to my stomach...Who shakes a little infant that violently, for the love of God...

This is the reason that, even though I haven't had the bean yet, I am dreading the day in late August I have to leave him with someone for a few hours each week so I can go to class...These stories haunt you...

casey118
04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I live in Utah and this same thing happened here recently- except that it was a 13 year old babysitter and a 7 month old baby (she was also tending 3 other kids). The baby died. I am heartbroken both for those parents and the girl! Which surprises me a little bit, because I have never felt that way when a caretaker or parent injures a child. I guess I don't assign the same "should know better" and assumptions of malice to a 13 year old! I don't think the state has decided what charges will be pressed, but it looks like child abuse/manslaughter. It makes me so sad all around- and terrified! Neve is right, it would be so much better if people felt comfortable expressing their frustrations and asking for help rather than taking it out on a small helpless child. It is sickening.

starrynight
04-15-2004, 05:52 PM
That poor child and family. :(

That is why I never leave my kids with anyone!

deborah_r
04-15-2004, 06:29 PM
I don't think I could trust a teenage babysitter, and I have not yet decided about older ones. Well, DS stayed with a couple we know, but I can say for sure they would never do anything to hurt DS.

But when I was a teenager and a babysitter, I remember getting VERY frustrated with the babies/children, and I knew very little about the things that could go wrong. I come from a very dysfunctional family and had some truly terrible things going on in my life as a teenager. I really don't think I should have been babysitting, when I look back on it now. I had a lot of pent-up anger and I fear to think the things I may have been capable of doing if I became very frustrated or angry. Thankfully, nothing like that ever happened.

In general, teenagers do not think about the consequences of their actions or things that could go wrong, so I don't think I could trust my baby with a teenager. Then again, there are probably some teenagers who are more mature than a lot of adults out there!

jojo2324
04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
That is so sad. My thoughts are with that poor little boy and his family.

This is exactly my fear, and I posted about something similar last week. I am looking for childcare, but...well, my kids are tough!! And the hours I would need our caretaker to work are during the "witching hour." Some days I feel like I am about to burst, but I have that mommy check. Would somebody else have as much control?

And I absolutely agree with Neve 100%. That is one of the most important things I want to make clear to whomever we hire.

barbarhow
04-15-2004, 09:56 PM
How heartbreaking. What a devastating thing to happen. The poor parents probably thought their children were being well taken care of. I can't imagine what they must be going through.