PDA

View Full Version : General Anesthesia and breastfeeding

Melanie
04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Does anyone have any information related to going under GA and nursing? How long until you can? I remember asking the Anesthesiologist last time and frankly, he was clueless and I don't expect any different next time. LOL.

TIA

bluej
04-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Two doctors and an anesthesioligist told me that I could nurse right away if I wanted. The anesthesioligist said that the milk may taste different, but there was nothing harmful about it. I ended up nursing Ryden about two hours after my surgery and he didn't seem to mind the taste.

missym
04-15-2004, 08:26 PM
I've been under GA twice since Gwen's birth, and I nursed right away both times. I never noticed any ill effects to her at all. Some docs will tell you to wait 24 hours, but I think it's just because they don't know the answer and that's the "default."

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

spu
04-15-2004, 08:37 PM
yes, you can nurse once you wake up. by then, the anesthesia is out of your system. here's a great link:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

jojo2324
04-15-2004, 09:13 PM
I've been under GA once while nursing, and was told I could nurse right away. I did, and DS didn't seem to react any differently.

gravymommy3
04-15-2004, 10:45 PM
I had my tubes tied when Hayden was 6 weeks old. I was told that I needed to wait a minimum of 12 hours and prefer. 24 before nursing again. I waited the bare min. of 12. Hayden became very lethargic and her breathing was very shallow. I was still woozy from the GA and I had to force myself to stay up all night to make sure she was still breathing. It was very scary. Maybe it depends on the type of meds they use to put you under. See if you can check with your surgeon or ped.

Melanie
04-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks everyone. For me, it's going to be several hours until I see him again, and in the past when I've had this surgery at this facility, it hasn't taken too long for me to feel lucid again. They don't discharge until I'm back to normal.