PDA

View Full Version : Boo Hoo for Me.

farsk
04-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Hello Everyone.

(Warning, foul language included. Do not read if easily offended.)

I just found out today that the grant that pays the vast majority of my salary will not be funded for the next two years. Despite the fact that the funding source has enough funding to fund every proposal submitted. Malicious bastards.

I guess I really should have posted this in the Bitching Post. It's hard not to take this personally....our past performance was excellent, and I wrote both of these grants (the minor one was funded, woo hoo {detect sarcasm}). What the hell? You have to love the f*ckers in govenrment. It's kinda like, "hey, this works and is successful. Let's quit doing that and do something else that may or may not be successful."

I have until July 1 to find another job. The way my DH and I have worked our finances, my responsibilities are the mortgage, car payment, insurance, and groceries. He takes care of all other bills and day care. It works for us...at least it did. My salary was the major salary in the household, thus my responsibility for the bigger bills. So you can see that I am really stressed and pissed.

Really, I should be looking at this as a blessing. I intensely dislike what I do....actually, I don't dislike what I do, I dislike the money people involved, the same bastards that aren't funding me. I truly disliked them before...they never had their #### together, and tried to make it look like all of their mistakes were ours. One of them actually said, and I quote, "we only really care about the numbers, about performance. If we happen to help people along the way, great." I guess I should mention that I work administering a grant that is supposed to help low-income youth. I found my 8th grade interest inventory, and I knew even then, at 14, that I did not want a job doing all of this pro-social crap. Its taken the seven years since graduating college to finally grasp it.

So where do I go from here? Part of me is saying that I have turned down too many good jobs in the past not to be able to find something by summer. The other part of me says that we will be homeless by fall.

I hate this day.

starrynight
04-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Oh no! I'm so sorry hon, jackarses they are! Good luck finding something new soon.

CBB
04-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Oh, Shannon, I'm so sorry to hear this. This truely sucks. I guess on the bright side, maybe you'll find a job that you'll truely enjoy. I wish you best of best of luck finding a job.

wendmatt
04-16-2004, 02:35 AM
HOw awful for you. I really hope you find something soon and it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Good luck

bluej
04-16-2004, 09:01 AM
I try to look at things positively (easy for me to say, I'm not the one who just lost my funding), but I really hope this turns out to be a good thing and that you find a job that not only pays you well but that you thoroughly enjoy! I'm sorry you have to go through the stress of job hunting and I hope you find something soon.

barbarhow
04-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Can't say I blame you for being peed off. It amazes me how shortsighted and at times blind money people and administrators can be. It can be so frustrating to put your heart and soul into something and then have someone s-it on it. I am so sorry. You are intelligent and obviously a hardworking dedicated person. Believe in yourself the way we all believe in you----and trust that it happened for a reason. Maybe something better is about to fall into your lap. Hang in there. I hope you can salvage the day.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

sweetbasil
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Shannon,
What crappy news to get. I'm sorry your week ended this way- but, I can't wait to hear about the even-better job that falls into your lap to replace this one!

Hugs,

josephmama
04-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Oh that sucks!!! And i'm steamed just reading about it! I hope you get a GREAT job now that you enjoy! I think in a few months you'll be happy this happened!

aliceinwonderland
04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Shannon:
I know it totally sounds like a cliche, but in my short profesional life so far, everysingle time something horrible happened, and I just felt completely lost, it actually was because something MUCH MUCH better was awaiting me (that of course I did not know about). This was true when the economy was great and when it was rock bottom. Now I go back and thank God for those jobs that somehow ended due to lack of funding, etc. I always found myself in a better situation, with more money and more satisfaction (well, case in point, very small example: if I had stayed at my former job, a start-up, I would not have been able to take my PAID 2.5 month maternity leave...Nothing would have been paid there). And there's other things... Keep the faith. You sound very qualified in what you do, so I have no doubt you will breeze into another position that will make you much happier.
I know it's ha
rd and stressful, though. Hang in there...

papal
04-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Shannon, I am so sorry that this happened! I am sure something better will be coming along soon.... chin up sweetie!! Sometimes, those admin/management types are so clueless.. you have every reason to be ticked off!