PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea??

papal
04-16-2004, 11:01 AM
My dh's birthday is coming up next month on the 26th. His 20 year high school reunion is that weekend on the 28th and 29th. He had shown an interest in going for his high-school reunion a while ago. When I asked him about it the other day, he did not seem that keen, but i think the reason is that the trip might be expensive (he does not like to spend money on himself). When he got the reunion letter in the mail, he was excited and said that it would be great fun if all three of us to go. Honestly, it will just be too expensive because we have to go back in June for his niece's baptism.

So, would it be a good idea to buy him a surprise ticket for his birthday to travel back to his home-town for his reunion? Or would it be a bad-surprise?? I don't know. I am sure he would have a fun time meeting all his buddies but he might be bummed that he does not get to spend his birthday with Leela and me (he likes to spend every free minute with dd).

What do you think? He is such a sweetheart that I want to do something special for him this year.

Thanks!

ETA: I just realized his birthday is on a Wednesday.. so he could still spend it with us and fly out on Thursday.. the 27th. I think, this could just work! How am I going to manage by myself for 3 days!!! YIKES!

etwahl
04-16-2004, 12:30 PM
if it were me, i'd discuss it first. i know MY dh probably wouldn't want to go to a reunion without me. part of the fun of reunions is having your SO there, if you have one. just an opinion. i'd say discuss it but tell him you want him to go and willingly spend the money for just him to go?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

mharling
04-16-2004, 12:44 PM
I agree with Tammy. You could give him a certificate (I hear you make really nice watercolor cards ;) ) for the trip, but not actually purchase the ticket until you talk with him about it.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

papal
04-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks Tammy, I did not realize that school reunions are a family thing (I have never been to one). I was under the impression that we would somehow be just 'tagging along' and he would have more fun without us. This is what happens when you base your thoughts on clips from the movie Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (i don't remember there being any kids at the dance!).

nitaghei
04-16-2004, 01:28 PM
I agree with Mary - give him a certificate before your drop $$$ on a probably non-refundable ticket.

My DH went to his college reunion alone. I was in law school, and it was way too close to finals for me to take any time off. Yes, reunions are family events and it would have been better if I could have gone too, but I'm glad I insisted that DH go. He had a blast, and reconnected with a bunch of people. Of course, no DS then, so coping wasn't bad.

And you can count on us, if you need anything while he's gone! :)

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

cinrein
04-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I agree to check with him first. Part of the reason he was keen on going may have been to show off you and beautiful Leela.

Otherwise, it's a very sweet idea for a gift. I bet he will be so touched!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Sarah1
04-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Rashmi, I think it's a nice idea! I would try and feel him out about it. My DH--while he spends every minute of his free time w/DD & me as well--a few years back he went to his high school reunion solo (I didn't care about going, and I thought he'd have more fun without me anyway), and this weekend he's going to a college reunion-type thing solo as well.

Considering that DH never travels for work, and we are generally never apart, I really think it's a treat for him to just be able to hang out w/his old pals and not worry about keeping me entertained, etc. And he truly appreciates that I don't mind that he does it...and the fact is, he's around SO MUCH, that I don't mind if he goes out of town for a weekend!