PDA

View Full Version : What to serve for an afternoon b-day party?

cchavez
04-16-2004, 11:03 AM
We were planning on having Diego's b-day party around noon....b/w his naps. Well, it seems that he might be trying to transition to one nap....so who know if he will take one or two naps on his b-day....so we might change the time to 3:30 So what should we serve? If the party was to be at noon were were going to serve a lunch of fajitas, rice, beans, chips, salsa, veggies, etc.

So if we have it in the afternoon it will be too late for lunch and too early for supper....so should we just order some party trays from costco??? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

amp
04-16-2004, 11:13 AM
We're planning to have Jake's party starting around 4pm, which means we would probably eat early at 5pm (so he doesn't get too crabby for the guests). Our thought at this point is to do something very low stress...like have someone else cook it! Seriously, our thoughts as of now are pizza or a big huge sub we can cut into single servings, pasta salad (I can make that) and veggies/chips & dip. That way, DH & I can spend time with our son and our guests, not in the kitchen cooking!

mharling
04-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I second doing something easy. Dh and I were both sick in the days up to Lane's party, so at the last minute, we just decided to order pizza. In addition to that, we just made a big tossed salad and a big fruit salad and had some easy, snacky things for appetizers. And cake, of course!

It worked out well because the menu was also very kid friendly.

Party trays would work well too. Or maybe you could steal some of the ideas from the tapas thread. If the party is at 3:30, I don't think people will necessarily come expecting a full meal.

ETA one more idea - We have served meatballs in the crockpot in the past. Just dump 2 jars of pasta sauce in a crockpot and fill it up with the frozen meatballs from Costco. Let it sit 4-5 hours; yummy!! You could also have rolls in case people may want a meatball sandwich. This one is great because it can work as a snack or as part of a meal.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

Sarah1
04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Christine,

Audrey's b-day party was from 3:30-5, and it worked out perfectly.

We had WAAAAAAAY too much food. There was just a ton left over, and we had a lot of people! If I had it to do over again, I'd just have some really simple appetizers--like mini quiches, cheese & crackers, and some fruit--and then birthday cake. We went to so much trouble to prepare & order food, and it just didn't get eaten!

ppshah
04-16-2004, 03:58 PM
We had DS'a party at noon b/c he's definately in the best mood then. I would definately go with whatever time the kiddo is in the best mood.

We recently had a baby shower at 3:30 and served fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, mini sandwiches, hummus and pita bread wedges. we also had cake and sherbet punch (yummy). It was a big hit. By the time we were eating it was around 4-4:30 so people were hungry.

Or you could do a tea part. If you want to stick to the Mexican theme-how about nachos or quesadillas?

Just some ideas....

billysmommy
04-16-2004, 04:38 PM
We're planning Billy's b-day party for between 12-2, it's his best time right between his 2 short naps :) We're planning on grilling hot dogs and burgers while Billy runs around our front yard and we push him on his new Kettler :). My parents are making the cake and everyone is bringing something (salad, potato salad, appetizers). It should be nice, low-key and non-stressful and FUN :)

C99
04-16-2004, 10:02 PM
We had Nate's b-day party between 2 and 4 p.m. We served cake and ice cream, and had a few chips and dips out for nibbling. The easier, the better. If it's too late for lunch and too early for dinner, why worry about serving a meal at all?