PDA

View Full Version : Best Hospital in Seattle for VBAC or ERC?

kijip
04-17-2004, 04:29 AM
So, if you live in Seattle and you want a hospital birth (since first baby was born by c/s) and you are not sure about VBAC or having a scheduled c-section, where do you go?

Options:
Swedish First Hill
Swedish Ballard (very close to home)
Northwest Hospital
Are there others?

Not Happening:
Group Health
University of Washington

Group Health is out because the parents have private insurance, and I am not a fan of Group Health at all anyway! UW is where I delivered and I was not happy.

Has anyone delivered at these places with a VBAC or a ERC?

Opinions on what to look for in general for a hospital delivery ERC or VBAC would be helpful as well!

22tango
04-17-2004, 02:05 PM
I can't answer your question about VBAC, but I do know that Overlake & Evergreen Hospitals on the eastside are supposed to be a stellar places to have a baby. Many of my Seattle friends (we live on Queen Anne) have gone over there to give birth.

Although we had Karenna in Pittsburgh (here while DH is in grad school) we had also considered Swedish-Ballard! :D

mteve
04-17-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't know much about the best place for VBAC or ERC, but I can pass on some info I do have about some of the hospitals:

Evergreen in Kirkland (Eastside) - I live down the street from Evergreen, so I chose an OB there and will be delivering there. They have a new NICU. They offer classes on VBAC (I assume the other hospitals would as well). Evergreen is also one of the leading hospitals in the U.S. for advocating and supporting breastfeeding moms, if that is something important to you. The Family Maternitiy Center is VERY nice.

Swedish First Hill - is supposed to have the best NICU in the region. Many of my friends in Seattle and the Eastside have given birth there (all vaginal births) and have been very happy with it.

Swedish Ballard - has a newer maternity center. My family physician also provides OB services and is located in Swedish Ballard. She no longer takes new patients, but her partner does - I have seen them both and they are terrific docs. My family physician's name is Nancy White -I can't recall the other doctor's last name off hand - her first name is Rachel. The phone number is 206.781.6300.

Northwest- don't know much about it.

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful.

Sandy
04-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I delivered at Overlake and loved it there. If I had to make a second choice based on your options I would go with Swedish First Hill. A ton of my friends have delivered there and (both VBAC and ERC)been very happy.

I have a smattering of friends who have delivered at some of the other locations and I hear the best stuff on Swedish First Hill.

They have a first rate NICU.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Karenn
04-17-2004, 06:57 PM
This is just "word of mouth" but I've heard that Evergreen is the most progressive place in the region, and therefore more likely to be experienced with VBAC. Most of my friends (including a number of doctors) say Swedish First Hill is just "the best." I've never heard why since I'm too far away anyway, but it's just what they all say. :)

I had good friends who tried for VBAC at both Evergreen & Northwest but neither was successful.

new_mommy25
04-17-2004, 08:04 PM
I've never had a VBAC but like everyone else I've heard Evergreen is the best. I delivered at Swedish First Hill and I had a wonderful experience. I was so happy with the way everything went. Private rooms. A nurse that stays with you the whole time. 24 hour food delivery. It goes on and on.

ETA: I went to Seattle OB/GYN which is located in the Madison building at Swedish. THe whole office there is wonderful. I loved my doctor to death. Her name is Dr. Hutchison. Several of my friends delivered with DR. Kimmelman who they all rave about. She's in the same office but wasn't accepting new patients at the time I was looking for a doc. One of my friends had a 100% natural birth and Dr. Kimmelman supported her all the way. I've met all the doctors in the office and they are all wonderful.
http://www.swedish.com/body.cfm?id=6&action=detail&ref=808

kijip
04-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I had not considered the Eastside Hospitals at all, but I have heard really positive things about Evergreen. Swedish is the top contender - now just to decide which campus and maybe take a closer look at Evergreen.

urquie
04-19-2004, 03:06 PM
it's great to see how many puget sound people are on the bb board!

evergreen is a fabulous hospital!!!!!! dd isn't due for 7 days but i spent a week in the maternity center two months ago. the rooms are great (just remodeled), the facilities are great (latest and greatest for any medical needs that may arise), and most importantly, the staff is phenomenal!

http://evergreenhealthcare.org/showpage.asp?sec=99

i also love the "center for women's health at evergreen." their certified nurse midwives are all fabulous. i met some of the doctors in their group while in the hospital too... also great. i was not happy with the first obgyn practice i went to and they came highly recommended, justifiably so!

http://womenshealthcare.org/index.html

good luck with your decision!