PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dessert help needed...

hez
04-17-2004, 10:35 AM
My work group has a tradition of bringing in a dessert for your birthday to share. Some folks go all out, some bring in cookies or cupcakes and call it good. I'd like to do something more fun-- I've gotta make whatever it is tomorrow 'cause my b-day's Monday.

Ideas? It's got to travel well & preferably not require refridgeration. worst comes to worst I'm going with cupcakes :)

TIA!

JLiebCamm
04-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Have you ever made a Texas Sheet Cake (chocolate with chocolate icing)? They're easy to make and everyone likes them. I don't have the recipe here with me at the computer but I can get it later if you want it.

billysmommy
04-17-2004, 12:23 PM
I have a great recipe for brownies from scratch. I usually make them for dessert whenever we go somewhere or have people over. They're super easy to make. Sometimes to make them different I add a little peppermint extract :) yummy
Let me know if you want the recipe.

August Mom
04-17-2004, 01:54 PM
I was going to make the same suggestion. Everytime I've made it for DH's work it's been a huge hit. And, there's plenty for everyone. Whether that's *fun* or not, I don't know. I'll try to post a recipe later today. My other thought that's maybe a bit more fun, is a fruit pizza. I don't have a recipe for that, but it's basically a crust with a cream cheese/sugar "sauce" and various fruits on top.

COElizabeth
04-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Please share, Lori! I usually make the one bowl recipe on the back of my Baker's chocolate, but I am definitely willing to conduct some research to see if I like another recipe better! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

billysmommy
04-17-2004, 03:19 PM
It's very similar to the one bowl recipe but I like this one even better. They're called Absolute Best Brownies

1 stick unsalted butter
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (2 squares of the Baker's)
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (sometimes I change this to 1/2 tsp and add 1 tsp of peppermint extract also)
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.

Melt the butter and chocolate together in microwave set to medium power, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly.

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.

Stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture. Beat in the eggs and vanilla by hand; then carefully fold in the flour mixture. Add nuts and/or chocolate chips if desired.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted halfway between the center and edge of the pan comes out fairly clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool the brownies on a rack (a half hour is the absolute minimum; an hour or two is better). Cut into squares and serve.

***The recipe says to wait before cutting and serving but they are very good hot out of the oven with ice cream or hard sauce :)

Enjoy :)

chrissyhowie
04-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Not to bust anyone's waistline, but here's another delicious brownie recipe! Because there's no baking powder and less flour in these, they are fantastically chewy and dense.

Katherine Hepburn's brownies
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 325 deg. Butter and flour an 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt chocolate and butter together either in microwave or in saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Stir in eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add the flour, salt and nuts and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.

Elizabeth, I am sure your DH and James will be thrilled with the research you'll be conducting! #2 is going to have a sweet tooth :)!

billysmommy
04-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Oooooh....those sound really yummy. I love chewy brownies (and just brownies in general) which is one reason I love those in the other recipe. I'll have to make these tonight.....I may have a new favorite :)

August Mom
04-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Cookie Sheet Cake

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Bring margarine, shortening, water and cocoa to a boil.

3. Meanwhile, place flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in bowl.

4. Add cocoa mixture. Mix well.

5. Mix together baking soda, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to rest of ingredients. Beat until smooth.

6. Pour batter into jelly roll pan.

7. Bake for 20 minutes.

8. While cake is baking, begin Cookie Sheet Cake Icing recipe.

Cookie Sheet Cake Icing

1/2 cup margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons milk
1 box confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Melt margarine, cocoa and milk in small saucepan over low heat or in microwave.

2. After removing from heat, add confectioner's sugar, pecans and vanilla. Mix until smooth.

3. Pour over Cookie Sheet Cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

**This is super easy to make and is really good. Make sure you add the cinnamon. It's key.

papal
04-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Heather, here is an easy idea.... why don't you get the supermarket cupcakes and decorate them with pastel color icing and beautiful edible flowers? I have seen this once, and it looked pretty stunning. Nobody cares what they taste like when they look so beautiful! :)

jbowman
04-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Texas Sheet Cake is the best! There is a recipe for it in the Joy of Cooking.

COElizabeth
04-17-2004, 05:07 PM
LOL! James discovered the joys of chocolate only a week ago, with Easter candy. Thus far I have been much better about controlling my sweet tooth than I was when pg with James, but now that the stomach bug is finally gone, the sweet tooth is returning and wanting to make up for lost time. How bad would it be to go for ice cream this afternoon AND make brownies tonight? :)

EDD #2, 10-30-04

hez
04-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Mmmm... thanks ladies, I knew I could count on you! I haven't decided what I'm making yet. I appreciate the recipes and ideas. I'll let you know tomorrow what I end up making! Here's hoping for a little bit of clouds so I don't feel bad about spending time in the kitchen instead of outside. Today was GORGEOUS here-- just what the doctor ordered!

heidi_timms
04-17-2004, 09:15 PM
I have made this recipe several times and it is so delish! Everytime I make it, several people ask for the recipe. It's a layer of super rich brownies, marshmallow layer, and a buttercream frosting layer. These are honestly the best brownies that I've ever had.

They are about 2-3 inches tall in thickness and I exchange the shortening for butter.

------------------------------------------------------

Rosie's Marshmallow Mud Squares
Recipe courtesy Rosie O’Donnell

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 (6 1/2-ounce) bag mini marshmallows

For the frosting:
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup cocoa
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and shortening together. Add eggs and vanilla and beats 30 seconds. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa and salt together. Add to the mixture and beat until well combined. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 9 by13-inch pan. Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove pan from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Spread the marshmallows on top of the cake and return the pan to the oven for 5 more minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Evenly apply the frosting. Allow this to stand about 2 hours before cutting into squares.

Note: If the marshmallows are too hot, the frosting will sink right through. The frosting should be the top layer. It will darken once it hits the heat of the cake.

To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla. Slowly add the milk.

Episode#: EMSP13
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

houseof3boys
04-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Chrissy those sound soooo good. I am loving the Chloe's new avatar too!

houseof3boys
04-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Yum. You guys are killing me with these decadent recipes!!!

hez
04-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks again for all your help-- I now have a couple new recipes to try! I decided to go the route of brownies-- for some reason they sounded really good to me this weekend. DH liked the idea of chewy ones, so I made the Katherine Hepburn version. First time I think I ever made brownies from scratch, so that counts as a fun dessert to me-- every so often it's fun to brag ;)

I also made No-Bake Oatmush Cookies. My friend's mom used to send them to him a couple times a year when we were in college, and there'd be a line at the door when we knew the package had arrived! When I was searching my cabinets I saw the cocoa and oatmeal & had to go for it! They're also the only thing I wanted to eat after DS was born.

Thank you!

JElaineB
04-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Heather, now you need to tell us the recipe for these cookies! They sound good!

ETA: Happy Birthday, Heather! :D

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

COElizabeth
04-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Agreed. I did make the Katherine Hepburn brownies yesterday (yummy), and they are nearly gone, so I need something new to try next! And I love oatmeal cookies.

EDD #2, 10-30-04

hez
04-19-2004, 06:52 PM
The brownies were a hit! Cookies were too :)

NoBake Oatmush Cookies

2 c sugar (white or brown)
1/2 c butter (or margerine -- 1 stick)
2 T cocoa powder
1/2 c milk

Stir & bring to boil in LARGE pan. Remove from heat & immediately add:

1 c crunchy peanut butter
1 t vanilla
3 c oatmeal (Quaker Old Fashioned ["cooks in 5 minutes"] Oats)

Mix & drop by (large) teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool completely and deliver to:

Sean xxxxx

Seriously, that's how Sean wrote out the recipe for me when we were in college :)

I made 'em with white sugar last night, and put the waxed paper over a cooling rack so they'd cool faster.

Enjoy!

papal
04-19-2004, 07:07 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!! Hope you have a fabulous evening!

hez
04-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Thank you! DH has steaks on the grill, baked potatoes in the oven & there were flowers with a book & some puzzle books on the counter when I got home. Now, if I could just convince him that vegetables (vs. starches!) are a necessary part of a meal, the evening would be perfect! I'm not complaining, though-- I get to play with DS and catch up on the boards while he makes dinner!