PDA

View Full Version : Question about separation anxiety

writeleigh
04-17-2004, 11:17 AM
DS is six-months-old and is going through this incredibly clingy phase. He wants me to carry him literally all the time. Screams if I put him down even to go to the bathroom! I just ordered a hip sling/carrier so I could maybe get other things done while he's attached to me. But is this normal? Isn't he too young for separation anxiety? He is teething - got his first two teeth, and I wonder if it's related to teething discomfort?

tinkerbell1217
04-17-2004, 11:24 AM
No too young at all! Mine went through that around 7-8 months and it lasted a couple of months. But, mine didn't care if I held them, it was strangers that scared them and sometimes even leaving them with grandma started the waterworks going!! After about 5-10 minutes they were fine (according to grandma). Could be related to teething and the need to be soothed by mommy. I wouldn't doubt it at all. I think a sling/carrier is a great idea.

Kelly

writeleigh
04-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Well that's something of a relief - at least I know I'm not the only one :)

hez
04-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Definitely not the only one. DS recently decided that if I'm in the room, I'd better be paying attention to him, and only him. Once he gets a good long dose of Mommy, then he's back to playing on his own or with Daddy. I've had to close doors so he can't see me sometimes if I want to brush my teeth without a child on my hip! Second tooth is on it's way in, along with a cold, so I'm hoping it has more to do with that than anything else, because then I have hope that DH will be able to do the soothing again (he used to be DS's favorite soother).

amp
04-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Not to young. My DS went through it around 5-6 mths of age and he's starting to have it again right now, particularly if someone new or someone he hasn't seen in a few days/weeks comes up and takes him too quickly. Hang in there, it passes...at least temporarily!