PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick your sneakers?

jojo2324
04-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Or tennis (tinnis) shoes, for you Mid-Westerners. :P

I always find that I prefer New Balance. Nike is too narrow around my toes, and too wide around my heel. I have had one pair of Sauconey sneaks, and they smelled! An abrasive, skunky, new sneaker smell. And that lasted a long time, until finally I just had to get rid of them because I couldn't take it anymore.

However, my big beef with sneakers in recent years is that I feel like my feet are encased in hard, inflexible plastic. What happened to the good, reliable, old school mesh? Also, while a sneaker may fit in the store, once I get out and about with them, they never seem to fit so well again.

Any pointers? The things are so dang expensive, I don't want to waste money on a pair that's "good enough." Thanks!

papal
04-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Joanne,
In my opinion, when buying running shoes, it is very important _where_ you buy them. Do not buy them at a Sports Authority type of store (an all encompassing sports store). The reason I say this is that the people who work there have no clue on how to fit a person for a shoe. Go to a store that sells sneakers as its main item.. ask any serious runners that you know.. they can usually point out a good store. At these places they will look at your stride and your feet, and see what fits you best. They will let you try on several different types over and over again so you can judge what feels most comfortable. They sometimes have a treadmill so you can take a walk in the shoes. I cannot stress enough just HOW important this is. I know this because I have bought so many sneakers that after a few days feel like crap. I have flat feet so need something to give more arch support or something to that effect (mommy brain freeze).
Anyway, i have a pair of Brookes running shoes now and i LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are wonderful, for ME. They might not be wonderful for you. My dh LOVES his New Balance shoes. He swore by Saucony but they went and changed their models a couple of years back so he had to switch.

Anyway, good luck on finding a good shoe store and a great pair of sneakers!

toomanystrollers
04-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Hee Hee, I feel like a youngster in my on sale Skechers from Sears ($17.99) :) I haven't bought a serious pair of running sneakers in a loooooooong time - someday I hope.

MommytoDylan
04-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Right now my "out and about" sneakers are Pumas but I picked those because I thought they were fun looking! I basically look at what the high schoolers at the mall are wearing and choose accordingly if I like the style. It is the only way for me as a SAHM to attempt to keep up with the styles:)

When I was in a marathon training class I went to a store called A Snail's Pace and they first put you in a neutral shoe and have you run for the fitter. Then they bring out various styles based on your needs (marathon, 3 mile run, etc.) and have you run in those to make sure it is a good fit. You can even return shoes you have already run in (even dusty trail runs) if they didn't fit you correctly. It was my ugliest and most expensive shoe purchase to date but I was very comfortable running!

Meredith

etwahl
04-17-2004, 01:38 PM
have you tried adidas? i have wide feet and can't wear nike. i find i can really only wear new balance or adidas. and adidas has a mesh one - cool something. i have a pair. they are well vented, very soft, sounds like maybe what you're looking for?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Jacksonvol
04-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I have been hooked on Tretorns for years. Just a good basic shoe for tennis, walking and mall cruising. If I am walking further than my Tretorns will take me, I choose my Merrill hiking boots. I love my Merrills. So comfy, but unstylish and with a metal plate that sets off the scanner at the airport.

lizamann
04-17-2004, 01:54 PM
ITA with Rashmi. I have bought 2 pairs of shoes this way, at 2 different running stores, and the sales staff at both stores put me in the same shoe (Brooks Adrenaline)! With the more recent purchase, I had completely forgotten which model and brand my old ones were, but after looking at my feet and gait they knew what I needed - I was honestly flabbergasted when she came out of the stockroom with the same model as my old shoes. I used to think the whole getting-fitted-for-a-fancy-running shoe thing was baloney, but now I'm a believer!

jojo2324
04-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Rashmi and Beth, are these stores local to you, or would you recommend a place like Athlete's Foot? There is one store in my local village, but the employees have yet to graduate high school and Jerry Springer is usually on the TV there. Athlete's Foot seems like a good way to go, but they have so little variety. The nearest mall to me is about 90 minutes away, and I want to get a pair soon so I can take advantage of the gorgeous weather we're finally having!!

papal
04-17-2004, 03:37 PM
NO NO NO!!! Not Athlete's Foot!! Gimme your zip code, let me look up a store for you!!!

ETA: Joanne, I remember you mentioned you lived in Long Island. Here is a link i found with stores in your area. Hope one of them is close to you. I would call them first to ask what is a good time to come (not many customers so they spend some time fitting you). Most of these type of stores have great return policies.. i would ask them what their policy is incase you wanted to return your shoes after a couple of days. Let me know what your shoe shopping experience was like! :)

http://www.lirunning.com/stores.htm
--
Yes, this is a short list. To make the list, the store has to give you good advice on what all shoe to wear. Most are are staffed by runners.

Runners Edge 294 Main St; Farmingdale, NY; 516-420-7963
Schwabs 2nd Wind Three Village Plz; Setucket; 631-751-5534
Super Runners Shop 355 New York Ave; Huntington; 631-549-3006
Gubbins Running Ahead 32 Windmill Lane; Southhampton; 631-287-4945
Quantum Feet 188-13 Union Turnpike Fresh Meadows, NY 11366 Tel. (718) 454-3338
--

C99
04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey, we call them sneakers too. ;-P

I pick them totally on looks, I must confess. I don't run, but I usually buy running shoes because they are the most comfortable. I have not bought a pair in awhile, but there is a really great small shoe store here that cares about fitting your foot properly. We've taken to buying most of our shoes there -- for me, my husband and Nathaniel.

Tondi G
04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
I used to have such a hard time with sneakers.... my DH hates shoe shopping with me cause I am so particular... he walks into a store and if they have his size (size 14) and they look alright he buys them... DONE! LOL

I have found the only shoes that really fit em well and feel like they provide decent arch support are Adidas. Nike is too tight in the toe area for me too! Adidas are nice and supportive... are not narrow and are good flexible running shoes. I don't even bother trying anything else on anymore..... it just serves to frustrate me and DH! he kept telling me to try on the sketchers running type shoes and I did today.... no go! LOL Adidas are the ones for me.

I feel your pain..... sounds like we have the same problems. The ones I have now are called Adidas response TR8 (says that on the tongue) and I love them... should've bought 2 pairs when I got these ones! oh well... next time!

Good luck

~Tondi

JLiebCamm
04-17-2004, 10:58 PM
I only wear Asics Gel Max (after wearing Nike, Saucony, K-Swiss). I'm a Physical Therapist and most of the podiatrists that I know steer their patients towards Asics. If you try on Asics, make sure that you try several different models because the gel distribution is different in different models and as you would expect, gets cushier as the price goes up. I usually snag mine when they are changing the colors/designs for a new season at a much better price.