PDA

View Full Version : How to entertain a carseat hater for a 6 hour drive?

etwahl
04-17-2004, 05:21 PM
any suggestions to make this easier? thanks!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

llcoddington
04-17-2004, 06:21 PM
We have started travelling at night when Lauren is asleep! It's not exactly fun, but is a peaceful trip. My in-laws live 7 hours from us. Lauren also hates the carseat, so we leave around 8 pm or so.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Andrea S
04-17-2004, 06:25 PM
We travel at night when we can during the day we play Andrew's cds.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Tondi G
04-17-2004, 07:36 PM
portible DVD player.... it is the only thing that helped us and my BIL and SIL... they actually went out and bought a minivan with a video screen cause their daughter was miserable after 10 minutes in the car! Other things... books, snacks, magnadoodle, CD's..... driving when she would be sleeping might work.... if she sleeps well in her car seat! Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

deborah_r
04-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Kai is very entertained by the mirror that is supposed to be so we can see him from the driver's seat. He loves to look at himself and wave his arms or swing toys around, all the while looking at himself in the mirror.

spencersmommy
04-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Drive while Lauren sleeps! We just took an 8 hour trip and left in the middle of the night. Spence did fine! When he woke up, we stopped and fed him, changed diaper, played a bit, but then off we went. As good as he was, i think next time we'll fly. He was very clingy when we got home (of course, it didn't help that we left on Thurs. night and returned Sunday...a quick trip to visit my grandparents!). With the way flights are now, it may be cheaper. It would have been about the same for us, maybe cheaper...gas prices in CA...aurgh!!!! HTH!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

Melanie
04-18-2004, 04:53 AM
Definitely travel as sleeptime. We do our "long" (3 hour) trips at naptime so he is awake for about 30 minutes, sleeps for 2 hours, awake for last 30 minutes and he usually snacks that part.

etwahl
04-18-2004, 08:42 AM
if we travelled at night, we'd either have to leave in the middle of the night (wake REALLY early) or get there in the middle of the night, and then we'd have to check in and wake her to take her to bed in the hotel. so i worry about doing that, kwim?

we would have flown, but i need to go to an INS appt and each ticket (for a one hour flight) was $598. I'm sorry, but i just can't justify that cost for a one hour flight!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com