PDA

View Full Version : Car DVD Players : Can you attach them to the front of headrest?

etwahl
04-17-2004, 05:22 PM
since lauren is still rear-facing, i wondered if those dvd players that attach to the headrest could attach to the FRONT of the headrest? so she would watch it while she's facing back?

anyone know if this would work? we have a long car ride coming up and thinking of things that would make it a lot easier!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Calmegja2
04-17-2004, 06:16 PM
I would check with a CPS tech, but I cannot imagine that would be a safe option.

We have a ceiling permanent mount DVD, and my rearfacing son just turns his head, and he can watch the movie.

Tondi G
04-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Most CPS techs would say NO. They say anything that could become a projectile in the car is a no no. They had better not look in my car.... we'd be in real trouble... with the stroller in the back of the SUV area and all kinds of toys in the car! If it were me... I would go ahead and install the DVD player on the back of the headrest.... if it will save you hours of unhappy baby time and you can get it secured down real good go for it! I would rather see a child rear facing with the DVD installed on the headrest than have you turn her around so she would be able to see a screen facing forward! Sometimes you ust have to do what you have to do.... 6 hours is a long drive!

Good luck
~Tondi

amp
04-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Probably against the "rules" of what to put in a car, since it can become a projectile.

That said....we're planning to buy one before our next big roadtrip. I think it just might save our sanity.

Then again, maybe you really don't care what I say since I'm no expert and I just told you I plan to disregard their advice. }(

etwahl
04-18-2004, 12:31 PM
no i care actually! i agree with others on the projectile stuff - i have a stroller, toys, diaper bag, bottles of water, etc. etc. all possible projectiles. i just don't see how i can strap everything down like that, kwim? and if i can strap a dvd player safely on the front of the headrest, then that's exactly what we're going to do.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Calmegja2
04-18-2004, 05:27 PM
You might want to look at this thread, first, with comments by Toby, carseat tech g-ddess ;-):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=3499&mesg_id=3499&listing_type=search

Hope that helps!

amp
04-19-2004, 11:42 AM
This is our feeling. We can do lots to try to secure most things in the car so they don't become projectiles, but sometimes it just seems impossible to secure every single thing. We also caved and put a tiny little mirror back there so we can see DS in his carseat. I didn't want it at first, but I guess I like having it there. If we get into an accident, that tiny mirror is the least of my worries.

I will tell you that since we don't have a car with a factory installed DVD player, and we don't anticipate buying one anytime soon, our only other option is to have one installed (which we aren't going to do) or buy one that straps to the seat. DH figures that he can manage to strap it relatively safely to the front of the backseat headrest (when he's still RF) or the back of the front headreat when he turns around to FF. So we plan to do this before our next long road trip (tentatively scheduled for this summer).