PDA

View Full Version : OT: Photoshop Elements and Shapes

LD92599
04-17-2004, 10:24 PM
OK....i searched online and can't find exactly what I'm looking for! I want to play around w/ a few photos and specifically add a heart frame to a photo in Elements. I found the shapes tool and can draw the heart...but it's essentially a huge red hear on top of the part i want to "frame."

Any thoughts?

TIA!

Laura

snp624
04-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi. I know how to do this in regular photoshop. Could you tell me if Elements have "path" under "window" menu on the top bar? If it does, I can tell you how to make heart-shaped photo layer. You could do it without "path", but it would be freehand, not-so-sharp heart shape...

darby24
04-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Bear with me here. I've just finished a Photoshop 7 class but now working on my Photoshop Elements (very different programs!)

I've played and figured it out roughly myself, lets hope I can do it for you.

1 - Go to "File", select "New". Make sure at the bottom it says contents are white.

2 - "Custom Shape Tool" - pick "Heart". Draw the heart to the size you want the frame opening. You can use the "Move tool" to move the heart to get it in the right spot for your liking.

3- Open up the photo you want to frame. Click the photo using the "Move tool", hold the mouse button as you drag it over to your heart. Yes it will probably cover the heart.

4 - Go to "Layer" then "Group with Previous" (there is another way to do this, but it's complicated to type out.) Your picture should be under the heart now.

5 - Move the picture so that what you want shows through the heart.

6 - Click on your Background Layer to highlight it over in your Layers pallet.

7 - Pick the colour you want your frame to be now. Click paint bucket and click on the frame. It should work now!

I hope this makes sense. I'll attached what I did. I'm going to go try this again myself (using only my above "recipe") and will edit if I've made a mistake. ***ETA*** I think it works alright.

Post again if you have troubles and I'll see if I can help you.

ETA: removal of picture

LD92599
04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Mine doesn't show path under window! Thanks anyway!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

LD92599
04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
You write directions like I do...very detailed! Thank you so much ~ it worked!! Now I'm off to play w/ Elements a little more before Soprano's!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

darby24
04-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Well I'm glad I was of some help. I always need the detailed instructions, too much room for error other wise!

You don't even want to see the workbook I used for my 10 week Photoshop class! I have pages and pages of notes and still can't remember some of the stuff we did!