PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible/ideas on SAND BOX

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-18-2004, 12:36 PM
I am wanting to make Tristan a sand box in our back yard. We have strict rules as to what is allowed since we are on a golf course.
My immediate thought (and not certain it is do able and thought someone would know) is to cut out some of our sod in the back yard in like a kidney shape to expose the dirt. From there I am thinking I can dig out maybe 5 inches of dirt and then throw in sand. Steve thinks that the sand and the dirt will combine...

Any ideas on what I can do to keep the dirt and sand separted or is this even do able??? How deep should I make it????
I am trying to get the sand box to resemble a sand trap on the golf course so to look out the back yard kind of has a theme (we have two sand traps visable to us from the back)...
Also our course's "signiture" is huge rock boulders of deep yellow, orange, and we can see the signiture hole of a wall of these rocks from our yard so I want to put some of these boulders around the sand box also...

ALSO covers????? I have no way to cover this, and worried about the few neighborhood cats making a litter box out of this but with the HUGE (real) sand traps you'd think my little sand box wouldn't be too appealing. Any advice on covers????

I'm itching to do this TODAY!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

alkagift
04-18-2004, 01:12 PM
I agree with Steve that the dirt will probably combine with the sand. My best idea is that you go to Home Depot or Lowes or a garden center of some sort and get some landscape cloth. This is usually used to keep weeds out of flower beds--it will allow the rain to drain through but is likely fine enough to keep the sand away from the dirt. I would, if it were me, dig about 4" deeper than you really want it and fill that 4" with pea gravel before you put in the sand. That would be even better for drainage and would keep little T's tushie from sitting in very wet sand. So, the deal would be: Hole, then cloth, then gravel, then sand--buy a bit more sand than you need and keep the extra in your garage so you can backfill if it compacts.

If it's small enough, you can buy a large panel of plywood and trace the kidney shape out on it and saw the shape for a cover. You would probably paint it (oil based). My DH works for a large paper and lumber company and knows something about wood and he said if you get a thinnish board and paint it thoroughly it should last. He also said not to get it too thick because it would be way too heavy to lift easily. He also wanted to mention not to get particle board or what he calls OSB (oriented strand board) that they use for building siding because it absorbs water and will deteriorate. Of course, my DH also said, "Why dig? Just put some 2x4's in a square and fill it up with sand--paint them green." I told him you were trying to go for something aesthetic, but he's an engineer and doesn't get aesthetic at all!! ;-) Have FUN!

ETA: I would make the sand part at least a foot deep. Oh, and by the way, you could cover the sandbox with just a tarp and some tent pegs, that would be easier, and you can get them in green from the camping section of Target or WalMart.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mom2kandj
04-18-2004, 01:14 PM
No ideas on a cover, but...

What about digging your hole and then lining the hole with pond liner(thick black plastic) and then filling it with sand? I'd use some smaller rocks to cover the edge of the liner and then use boulders as accents. WAIT, I think you can buy pond liners already formed and just drop it into your dug out hole. FYI, IMO you might want to dig a bit deeper for a sandbox, maybe 12". HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

alkagift
04-18-2004, 01:22 PM
I think the pond liner would accumulate water unless you drilled lots of holes in it.

Here's a link for a basic box, if this helps.

http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/sandbox.html

Allison

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-18-2004, 01:27 PM
What excellent ideas!!!! I never would have thought of the pea gravel, or the weed mats or even painted wood to cover (marvelous idea)....
Thank you thank you thank you...these boards are wonderful!!!!
Thank you!!!!

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-18-2004, 01:29 PM
I actually am going to use the shape of one of those thick plastic liners to atleast give me the "kidney shape" that I am desiring :)...I might place it upside down and trace it...
I wondered if that was possible too (to use it as the box) but I never thought about the water building up in there, so glad I posted the question or who knows what I would have done :)...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

JenaW
04-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Neve~

You are too funny! This sounds like a great idea, and I think Allison has the right idea! I can just picture you out on your golf course backyard digging a sand box! I'd love to see pics when you finish! I am sure Tristan will love it.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ EDD 10.13.04

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-18-2004, 02:20 PM
do you think the sand should be 12 inches in addition to the 3 inch gravel or with it....
I know nothing about sand boxes....

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

sbjf
04-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Neve,

I don't know much about covers or sandbox building but I do have a design suggestion for you...

Once you pick your location for the sandbox use some orange spray paint to outline your kidney shape, then start your digging!

The paint will wash off or be dug up so it won't be a long term thing and yet it will help you stay with your design patter easily.

SeekerMage
04-19-2004, 02:38 AM
I dont have any more ideas as far as the build of the sand box as everyone has already given you some great ones. My only suggestion is to spend the extra money and get the white sand. The play ground sand that they sell gets their clothes all dirty and yucky but the white sand just brushs right off without any stain even when wet. Good luck sounds like a fun project!

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Where do you get it???
Is it labeled "white sand"????
I saw a thread on white sand a few weeks back and the last post on the thread questioned if it was the "safe" sand, and I saw no responses...do you know????
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

toomanystrollers
04-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Neve,
We pick our white sand up at Walmart. And as for the litterbox problem, I leave Tonka trucks strategically placed throughout the sandbox along with the toys - my cats can't be bothered to go in it :)

alkagift
04-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Neve,
I missed this yesterday...so if you're already done I'm sorry!

I think deeper is better, but only because I think sandboxes are great things and that kids like them for a while. If you make it really deep, then when Tristan's older he won't be able to hit bottom easily. I would make the sand part a foot deep, but that would be a bunch of sand!

Where I live there are lots of places that would sell you sand by the cubic yard and deliver it--just make sure they know that it's for the sandbox, not for building. There are different grades and you definitely don't want "builders" sand. I know that sand is soooo heavy, it's worth having it delivered.

Allison

AngelaS
04-20-2004, 07:43 AM
I think size is as important as depth. I know so many people who buy those itty bitty turtle shaped sandboxes which are not big enough for ONE child to dig in! They only hold about 4 inches of sand and aren't big enough for a child to drive around a bunch of trucks.

If I were doing a sandbox (dh won't let me since he doesn't want to MOW around it :P) I would make it at least 8 feet square (or the equivalent cool shape). And then 8 inches of sand or so.... :D

Happy digging! :D