PDA

View Full Version : Need vegetarian recipes for meat eaters!

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-19-2004, 04:51 PM
So, we are feeling the $$ pinch right now. DH and I are carnivores, but in order to save money, I'm thinking of doing 1 or 2 dinners per week meatless. Anybody have any good vegetarian meals for meat eaters?

--Jennifer

aliceinwonderland
04-19-2004, 05:02 PM
We LOVE pasta in my house...I make my own sauce most the time, and add a pepper or two to it. With some freshly shredded Pecorino Romano cheese on top, it makes for a decent meal, I think!

Saartje
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Take a look at the cookbook Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. It delivers on what the title promises — vegetarian recipes anyone will like, even people who are normally avowed carnivores. Delicious! And even I, NOT known for my cooking ability, can cook anything in it by following the directions. (Since your goal is to save $, perhaps you could find a copy at a library. I'd suggest used, but I've never seen it at a used-book store — which may say something about how good it is! ;) )

August Mom
04-19-2004, 05:30 PM
I'll post several recipes that could work for you (I hope you like beans). Also, consider using some cheaper cuts of meat. For instance, pork shoulder is very inexpensive, but makes a nice roast in the crockpot (I'll post that recipe too) and you can make leftovers into BBQ sandwiches by adding prepared BBQ sauce.

Southwestern Pasta Toss

1 cup tomato, finely chopped (or 1 14.5 oz. can chopped tomato)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles, undrained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. lime juice
6 oz. whole wheat rotini

Combine tomato, onion, salt, green chiles and 1 clove of garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.

While pasta is cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a 10-inch nonstick skillet. Add garlic and cumin and saute 30 seconds. Stir in corn and beans. Cook, stirring constantly, until corn is thawed. Add tomato mixture and cook until all ingredients are thoroughly heated. Toss corn mixture with pasta, cilantro, cheese and lime juice. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

JLiebCamm
04-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I second the pasta recommendation. You can make a variety of homemade sauces, from spicy to cheesy to hearty, to keep variety in your meals. I like the recipes in Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals for sauce; they're easy and generally cheap. We also like to make the recipe for black bean burritos in the Best of Cooking Light book. They can be made right out of the pantry and are very yummy.

August Mom
04-19-2004, 05:32 PM
By the way, you can definitely modify this to meet your preferences. And, although I generally use chicken, you can definitely make it without by adding more beans and other filling ingredients.

This is an original recipe that I created on one of those nights when I wondered what we were having for dinner. Now it's a favorite.

Tortilla Casserole

1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (19 oz.) can green chile enchilada sauce
4 8-inch flour tortillas
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook chicken breasts and chop. (I cover mine with water and cook in the microwave, but you could also saute the chicken breasts).

In a 9x13-inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of green chile enchilada sauce. Top with 2 flour tortillas. Then, evenly layer chicken breast pieces, black beans, green chiles, onion, bell pepper and cilantro over flour tortillas. Sprinkle with cumin. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese and 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce. Place remaining flour tortillas on top. Spread with remaining enchilada sauce and top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.

Serves 8

August Mom
04-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Again, this recipe calls for chicken, but when I'm pressed for time, I omit the chicken and it's very good that way too.

Black Bean Taco Salad with Lime Vinaigrette

¼ c. tomato, seeded and chopped
¼ c. cilantro, chopped
2 T. olive oil
1 T. cider or red wine vinegar
1 T. lime juice
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 clove garlic, peeled
8 c. lettuce, chopped
1 ½ c. cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 c. tomato, chopped
1 c. bell pepper, chopped
1 c. red onion, finely diced
½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed & drained
Tortilla chips

To prepare vinaigrette, combine tomato, cilantro, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, pepper and garlic in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.

To prepare salad, combine remaining ingredients except tortilla chips in large bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss well to coat. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips.

August Mom
04-19-2004, 05:36 PM
In case you want to go with the cheaper meat option on some days, this recipe is very easy and tasty.

Mexican Pork Roast

1 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (or 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 4.5 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (picnic), well trimmed
1/2 cup double-strength chicken broth
1/2 cup water

1) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and chiles. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, sitirring often, for 1 minute. Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker and place a collapsible vegetable steamer or slow-cooker meat rack on top of vegetables.

2) In a small bowl, combine the salt, oregano, cumin, coriander and pepper.

3) Rub seasonings into pork roast. Place pork roast on steamer or meat rack and pour in chicken broth and water.

4) Cover and slow-cook until the pork is tender, 7 to 8 hours on low. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork and vegetables to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm.

5) Skin fat from surface of cooking liquid. In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cooking liquid to a boil. Cook until reduced to about 1 cup. Pour into a sauceboat. Slice pork roast and pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce over the slices. Serve with the vegetables and remaining sauce.

Serves: 4-6

**NOTE: I have used different kinds of pork roasts with this recipe with success. Boston Butt is my normal substitution. Also, I generally use a can of regular strength chicken broth and eliminate the water. And, I generally use whole baby carrots instead of cutting regular carrots into pieces. Also, I often add halved red potatoes as well.

While I use leftovers for barbeque sandwiches, the author of the recipe suggests making burritos with shredded pork, refried beans and the veggies rolled up in a tortilla.

August Mom
04-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Seven Layer Tortilla Pie

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped seeded Anaheim chile
OR
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups no-salt-added tomato juice
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
Cooking spray
7 (8-inch) flour tortillas
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers, onion, and next 5 ingredients (onion through cumin); sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add juice; cook 8 minutes or until reduced to 2 1/2 cups.

2. Combine black beans and half of tomato juice mixture in a bowl; stir well. Stir cannellini beans into remaining tomato juice mixture. Set both aside.

3. Preheat oven to 325º.

4. Combine cheeses in a bowl; toss well. Line a 9-inch pie plate with foil, allowing 6 inches of foil to extend over opposite edges of pie plate. Repeat procedure with another sheet of foil, extending foil over remaining edges of pie plate. Coat foil with cooking spray; place 1 tortilla in bottom of dish. Spread 1 cup cannellini bean mixture over tortilla; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheeses. Place 1 tortilla over cheeses, pressing gently. Spread 1 cup black bean mixture over tortilla; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheeses. Place 1 tortilla over cheeses, pressing gently. Repeat layers, ending with the remaining black bean mixture and cheeses.

5. Bring edges of foil to center, and fold to seal. Bake at 325º for 40 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Remove foil packet from dish. Unwrap pie, and slide onto serving plate using spatula. Cut into wedges, and garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Serving Size: 1 wedge

August Mom
04-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Bow-tie Pasta Primavera

16 oz. bow-tie pasta
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut in 1" pieces
2 cups fresh broccoli flowerets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 medium red pepper, slivered
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
1 medium tomato, chopped

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse in hot water and drain. Set aside.

2. While pasta is cooking, steam asparagus and broccoli until crisp tender.

3. Cook onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and chicken broth. Cover and cook 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.

4. Add red pepper slivers. Cover and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Add the asparagus and broccoli mixture.

5. Add red wine vinegar and herbs to vegetables. Stir.

6. Toss olive oil, half of Parmesan cheese and parsley with pasta. Gradually add vegetable mixture to pasta and toss. Add tomatoes and remaining Parmesan cheese. Toss and serve.

sadie427
04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
I second the "vegetarian cooking for everyone" recommendation. You can get it pretty cheap on overstock.com. And don't forget eggs for cheap dinners--omelettes, spanish tortilla, fritatta with zucchini or other veggies . . .

Tondi G
04-20-2004, 12:55 AM
15-20 minute Chili

It is the easiest recipie in the WORLD and it's YUMMY!!!! You can omit the meat but a pound of ground beef/turkey isn't too expensive!

1 pound ground beef or Turkey
2 15 oz cans black beans (no salt added preferred)
1 cup medium or hot chunky salsa
2 8 oz cans no salt added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of chili seasoning mix

Optional:
Sour cream
Shredded Cheddar
Chopped onions

Cook meat in a large saucepan over medium high heat until browned. Stir well so it crumbles. Drain if necessary. I add some chopped onion and bell pepper the recipe doesn't call for it though.... brown it with the meat!

While meat cooks, drain and mash 1 can of means. Add mashed beans, undrained beans, salsa, tomato sauce, and seasoning mix to saucepan; stir well. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Spoon into serving bowls. if desired top with sourcream, shredded cheese, and chopped onions.

Yield: 7 (one cup) servings.

Nutrition info Per serving (using ground round): Calories 236 (15% from fat)– Fat 3.9g (sat 1.3g)– Protein 22.8g – Carb 27.6– Fiber 5.2g– Cholesterol 38mg– sodium 229mg (using no salt ingredients).

You can also make some big baked potatoes and use the chili as a topping.... for leftovers.... add a salad and you've got dinner!

If you double the recipe you will have a decent ammt for leftovers!

Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01