PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal allergies, pregnancy and BFing

cmyk
04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Has anyone else experienced total reversal of their seasonal allergies when they got pg? I've always had bad seasonal allergies since around 6 yrs old. Medications never helped, until Allegra came out. I stopped Allegra the summer before getting pregnant, and gosh was I miserable again. I got pregant in the "off season" (November) and then noticed the following spring that I was allergy-free. I have not had any symptoms for 2 years now!! I am still nursing my 20 month old DD, and I was wondering if perhaps the BFing hormones are now keeping my allergies at bay, and if they might come back once she is weaned.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Shelley
Mommy to DD born 8/02

amyinNC
04-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes! I have always had terrible spring allergies. Last spring, while pregnant with DS, they were gone???!!!??? This year, they aren't bad either (still nursing - but now on a nasal steriod). It was so wonderful last spring I joked with my husband that we should have a baby every year! I hope my allergies have improved from the nasal steriod - I'd hate to go back to that misery when my son is weaned.

Amy

cinrein
04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Yes! Last spring I didn't need to take anything at all, not even advil sinus. I was BFing. This spring I'm still doing really well, and we fully weaned last month.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

momma_boo
04-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Hmmm. If I recall correctly, my allergies weren't so bad last spring right after I had DD. (Although I did spend more time inside).
Unfortunately, no special exemption this season! My allergies are pretty bad. Yes, I am BFing but only 3x a day (2 nursings, 1 pumping sessions). I'm back to taking my Allegra every morning!

marchmommy
04-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Weird--last spring I had no allergy symptoms. I had DS in March, and then breastfed. I have just about weaned him (he is 13 and a half months) and I have terrible allergies. I was sick with a sinus infection from it for about three weeks, was better for a few days, and am now feeling sick again. Oh, I forgot to mention, I am 13 weeks pregnant! So I think breastfeeding must protect against allergies, but being pregnant, w/o breastfeeding, must not!!

Jenmv
04-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Yes! I noticed this too. It was wonderful. I got pregnant in April and then nursed for a year and missed two whole seasons of allergies. This season they are back with a vengeance. Back to the Claritin-D for me. It's almost enough to make me want to get pregnant again. ;)

I seem to remember reading an explanation for this. I think it has to do with the mothers immune system decreasing somewhat during preganacy in order to allow for the developing fetus. This might make sense since allergies are an over active immune response. I could be totally wrong on this so feel free to correct me.

AngelaS
04-27-2004, 08:08 AM
When I was pregnant with or nursing my first two, my allergies went away too, including the wicked fall ragweed induced hay fever.

But this pregnancy is so different....my head is SO stuffed up..... ick.

tinkerbell1217
04-27-2004, 09:07 AM
When I was PG with my oldest two my allergies were almost completely gone!! Now, they are better than normal, but not gone completely! Don't know if its the PG or BF hormones, but thats great that the allergies are much less!!

Kelly

votre_ami03
04-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Your timing is totally appropriate as I sit here w/watery eyes & a stuffed nose. :) I only wish I saw a diff. My allergies were pretty bad at the end of my pregnancy & they are horrible right now & I am still BF @ 9 mos. Poor Nolan has them too. We are a sad bumch. :D

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03