PDA

View Full Version : question for those who had an Amnio....

shishamo
04-20-2004, 01:34 PM
I just had an Amnio for the first time. Everything went well, yes it was a bit freaky but no complications. The doctor said to take it easy for a few days. Now, when does the miscarrige risk go away? How long did you take it easy? Can I pick up my 30lb 2year old (and 40 lb 4 year old)?

cinrein
04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
From what I remember, the risk was highest 24 hours after the amnio and by 48 hours it was pretty much gone.

In case you didn't know, the miscarriage risk from amnio comes from 2 things---disturbing the placenta with the needle and causing an abruption. If that happens, it will happen pretty quickly. The second, which is a lower risk, is from introducing bacteria into the amniotic sack with the needle. I believe you would know if that happened fairly quickly too, but I'm not sure.

If it makes you feel better not to pick them up and you can avoid it, then put your feet up and try to relax. If it's unavoidable, then I think you OK on the third day. When I had mine, the dr told me just to take it easy that day.

Good luck!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

shishamo
04-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Cindy,

Thank you very much for your reply. My DH took a day off, so I'm going to put my feet up today as much as I can. As for tomorrow, DH is gone so I will try not to pick them up unless absolutely necessary.

Jeanne
04-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Just echoing what Cindy said. I was told to take it easy for about 24 hours.