PDA

View Full Version : anyone been on crutches while you have a baby/toddler?

jubilee
04-21-2004, 03:03 AM
I need knee surgery but am putting it off as long as possible. I might be able to last until summer, but I might last years. It depends on pain. My right knee has been painful for years, and I've done physical therapy, so now my only option is surgery. I have a tear of my meniscus and also some patella tracking issues. If/when I have surgery I'll need crutches for a few weeks. I imagine Logan will be walking before I have surgery, and that my hubby will only be able to take 3-4 days off work. If I have it done this summer I will have my oldest son, 12 years old, to help me. So I am looking for anyone with experience with being off your feet and having a toddler. And if you can send a prayer my way about my knee, I'd be grateful!

bluej
04-21-2004, 09:47 AM
I have no experience with this, just want to send my prayers your way and hope that things go well when you have this done. It should be an interesting time with a toddler!

mommd
04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
I haven't been on crutches with a baby, but I had surgery on my knee for the same problems. I only needed crutches for a couple of days. It was being able to kneel that took forever. I am going to need another surgery soon on the same knee! Sending good knee prayers your way...

khakismom
04-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Oh sweetie! I hope your knee gets much better!

I've never had crutches with a baby, but I was on crutches for 4 months in college (I broke my ankle playing soccer) and it was such a pain (nice pun, huh?). After a few weeks, I got used to them, but the fact that you can't CARRY anything drove me nuts.

Good luck, and lots of healthy vibes for your knee! :)

DCmommy
04-21-2004, 12:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your knee -- I destroyed mine in high school when I still thought i was indestructible, and I've been paying for it ever since! :)

To answer your question, I HAVE been on crutches with a baby and it was H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS. :) This was back in October so DS was 9 months old and not walking, and I had a plaster cast on my left foot. It was impossible to do anything -- I could barely pick him up out of his crib b/c I couldn't balance myself and him on one leg. I spent most of the day crawling around after him on the floor, changing him on the floor, etc, because standing was just too much of a pain. And he found the crutches interesting, so I was always trying not to "step" on his hands with them. Fortunately, that was only for a few days before they gave me a walking cast, which worked much better. If you don't have a cast it may be easier for you, and if you have your 12-year-old around, that will help a lot. I'm not sure if it will be easier or harder with your DS walking. They move faster and can get into more trouble once they're walking. My DS was easier to keep up with on my hands and knees while HE was on his hands and knees, too. :)

Good luck, HTH!

Megan
Mommy to Patrick, 1/16/03