PDA

View Full Version : Have we talked American Idol yet?

Sarah1
04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure if there was already a post, and I missed it, but I'm interested to hear people's opinions on last night!

My biggest take-away from the show is that George--who I love--is slipping. I pretty much hated his rendition of that song (can't remember the title). I'm starting to think he's just kind of a one-trick pony--not very versatile.

You know who I thought was decent this time, though? The Redhead. I have pretty much LOATHED his performances up to this point, but I actually thought last night he was decent. He was clearly trying to emote and be more charismatic. The judges just RIPPED into him, though. Poor kid! What did you guys think of him?

Diana DeGarmo looked like she was headed for a PTA meeting in her pale blue suit. Why is she trying to look 45??? Maybe because they were saying she was too young?? And what's with her hair? She gets blonder every week.

Other thoughts???

papal
04-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Totally agree with you on almost everything Sarah!! Almost because I thought Red was pretty awful. I wanted to scratch my eyes out when i saw him emoting..especially the part when he reached his hand out and was looking at the camera... it felt SO PHONY!!!! Thank God he picked a good song otherwise it would have been worse than awful!!

George is totally slipping.. AND COULD HE PLEASE STOP DOING THAT BENDY DANCE MOVEMENT. GETTING ON MY NERVES.

Dianna is wearing WAY TOO MUCH MAKEUP FOR A 16 year old!!!! And yes, the pant-suit!!! What are these wardrobe people thinking?????

The highlight for me was Manilow. I think he has gotten MAJOR BOTOX or something done.... did you notice how he had NO WRINKLES and NO EXPRESSION????

I agree Latoya is good, but does she have to act so brazenly OVER CONFIDENT???

And Fantasia... you can stop with the YEAH YEAH now.

I think the performance I liked best was Jennifer.

MelissaTC
04-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Ok. I LOVE George. But I was disappointed last night. He totally wrecked.

Poor Diana. Her outfit made her look old. :( I thought her performance was ok.

John S. HAS TO GO!!! I am SICK of him!!! He is out of his league but he did do well for him...

Jasmine is also out of her league. I like her and think she is cute but she is no competition next to the Divas...

Jennifer was awesome but she sound so over the top all the time...

LaToya is good as well but again, I agree that she knows that she is good and is a little over confident...

Fantasia, Fantasia, Fantasia. Doesn't do a damn thing for me except annoy me. I do not like her voice or personality...

Bring back Clay, Kimberely Locke and Ruben...that was more fun!

papal
04-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Melissa... i was TOTALLY thinking of you when Fantasia did her YEAH YEAH thing yesterday.... LOL. I also don't like it when they go OFF the stage. People, you are not ROCK STARS YET... stay on the stage!!!!

Sarah1
04-21-2004, 03:40 PM
LOL you guys!!!!!! Fantasia's "yeah yeah yeah" is TOTALLY getting on my nerves now! And not to offend anyone, but I didn't like how her song sounded like a church revival!!

I liked Jennifer too, but she's a little too gospel-y sounding for me. Is that mean? I promise I'm not anti-church or anything, but she sounds like she's the soloist in a choir!

And Rashmi, ROTFL about your Manilow botox comments!!!! TOO FUNNY!!! Yes, his expression basically did not change the entire time!

Can't wait for tonight...AI results and then The Bachelor...am I pathetic or WHAT???

deborah_r
04-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I couldn't believe none of the judges commented on Diana's pantsuit. Does she think a pantsuit will make them "forget" that she is only 16? She's very sweet though, I like her.

papal
04-21-2004, 03:46 PM
My Bachelor comments got buried in the Friends thread..but we can start one tmmrw!! So exciting!!! And yes, my life is VERY PATHETIC!!! I am such a loser, I even watch the worst program on earth.... THE SWAN. Yes, that's right... i watch it. Well, only the last 10 minutes (the REVEALS).. my attention span is too limited to take in the entire PROCESS. Man, i want a tummy tuck too!!!

ETA: And i agree about the church revival-esque rendition...umm.. ya....that was a bit strange.... and coupled with the intermingling with the audience... GO AWAY FANTASIA! Maybe I am the only one who thought this, but she did not look to pleased when SeacrestOut brought her dd onto the stage.

Sarah1
04-21-2004, 03:51 PM
>Maybe I am the only one who thought this, but she did not look
>to pleased when SeacrestOut brought her dd onto the stage.

No, Rashmi, I thought that too!!! I have a feeling Fantasia hasn't had much time for her DD now that she's doing this show. Did you notice how expressionless the kid was watching her MOM on TV?

ETA--thanks for making me feel less pathetic, Rashmi...at least I don't watch THE SWAN!!!! (not that I haven't been tempted but I think DH would banish me to watch in another room). You CRACK ME UP :)

papal
04-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes, she was rather expressionless. And was that Fantasia's mom or sister that her dd was sitting with? Maybe the kid was overwhelmed with all the attention she was getting. Poor thing. Must be tough to be without your mom for so long. Did you notice that you could see Jasmine's underpants through her skirt? I am so sick.. i am always looking for stuff like that... pantylines etc.

lisams
04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
ITA agree with everything you said! I was so bummed with George since he has been my favorite for a long time - maybe the song just wasn't a good one for him. I thought Red did really well - he performed with much more personality. Before last night I was wondering if he had any emotions!!!!!

I think Latoya is going to win this season, although I still really like George!!

Lisa

redhookmom
04-21-2004, 05:46 PM
If I called in I would vote for Fantasia, I think she is great. I would like to see the red head, Diana or the Hawaian leave tonight.

I have to go to a meeting and will have to tape the show. I am hoping my VCR skills have improved since the last time I tried.

NancyJ_redo
04-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Seriously, what is Red still doing on the show? My theory is that because he's in high school, the entire HS population is voting for him each week. Otherwise I have no clue how he's gotten this far.

And someone mentioned Fantasia's "yeah, yeah" last week, and now that's all I can think of when I see her. She's good, but she's too over confident in my view.

As for George, he seems like the nicest guy on earth. Someone above (Rashmi?) mentioned his BENDY dance - we actually call DS "Curious George Huff"...a mix of Curious George and George Huff bc DS is into EVERYTHING lately, and he also does a weird bendy dance like Huff.

I've like Jasmine from the beginning, but she's definitely out of her league with the singing.

LaToya and Jennifer Hudson just seem to be getting better every week, my vote is with LaToya.

As for underwear (Rashmi again!!), I always think that the people in the front rows have got to be getting a show when the women wear short skirts...there is no way the audience isn't seeing everything!

brubeck
04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Well I'll go out on a limb and say that I like 'Red John'. But I also like the style of music that suits his voice best. I think he did very well last night and I suspect Simon just doesn't want him to win (like he didn't want Clay to win).

Fantasia drives me nuts with he attitude. I thouhgt the whole thing with the kid was staged like the week Nikki McKibbon brought out her kid when we all thought she'd be booted. She got sympathy votes and Tamarya left instead.

Frankly 'the divas' all sound the same to me. And like a million other singers out there. I'd like to see something unique. Jasmine has great talent but she doesn't seem to have control of her voice as much as the other girls.

Diana needs to go this week, if only for her fashion choice.

Edited to add:

DH thought Barry looked so bad that he should be a candidate for The Swan. :)

MelissaTC
04-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Damn! I missed that! Pantylines on national tv....

I watch the Swan too! LOL. I am amazed at their transformations but they do kind of hoochie them up...

Sarah1
04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
>Frankly 'the divas' all sound the same to me. And like a
>million other singers out there.

My DH said the exact same thing...for that reason he's sort of rooting for Red.

August Mom
04-21-2004, 06:48 PM
I cannot stand John Stevens (the redhead), but I do think his performance last night was his best one. Why? Because he actually varied the tone in his voice and tried to do something with the song. IMO, though, his voice is suited to only one style of music.

I think LaToya should win. She has the best voice and is the most polished. I also like Jennifer and Diana. Jasmine and George are okay, but don't really do anything for me. I really don't like Fantasia. She can sing, but her accent or nasal quality or something about the tone of her voice bugs me.

DDowning
04-21-2004, 07:08 PM
I have to agree about Fantasia. Its the whole fly girl attitude that bugs the heck out of me!

Hey - Just wanted to post when I was in the Oakland airport waiting for flight back home - William Hung ("She Bang") was arriving from a different flight. DH & I just chuckled - the poor guy couldn't walk 5 feet without getting hounded for an autograph or asked to take a picture.