PDA

View Full Version : Quick--need a link to a good 'opting out' article

smkinc
04-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi All,

I was just asked to give feedback to my management staff on my experiences/reasons for working an alternate schedule. I'd like to reference one of the recent opting out articles to support some of my points--does anyone know of a link to a publicly available article? I need it by today--your help is most appreciated!

Thanks!

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)

josephmama
04-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I guess I don't know what you mean by opting out- does this mean flexible schedules/job share type stuff? If so I submitted a proposal to go part-time at my work (still haven't heard anything...grrr). I used a lot of references- A great website is workoptions.com. You have to pay for one of their templates but for what I was doing it was so worth it- has great references on arguments for flexible/pt/job share work options and a template for proposing it. The site also has links to free flexible work schedule articles, which is I think more what you're asking: http://www.workoptions.com/articles.htm

Another resource was an article on staying home from March 22, 2004 Time magazine - it does a great job of laying out flexible work options used by many large corporations and statistics of women in the workplace, case for flexibility based on the upcoming brain drain.
Good luck! HTH!

smkinc
04-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the reply--I was looking for an article like the Time article--I'll try to find it online.

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)

ddmarsh
04-21-2004, 05:40 PM
The cover story of the NYTimes Magazine several months ago was on this very topic - if you do a search there you will find it.

I don't know if this along the lines of what you are looking for but I heard a wonderful quote some time ago that said "Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg were once stay-at-home moms which just goes to show that you can have it all, you just can't have it all at once."

HTH -