PDA

View Full Version : Calling all you creative moms and dads re: help with a shower gift

rrosen
04-21-2004, 04:11 PM
I could use a little help.

I am trying to put together a gift basket for a friend who will be having her first child soon. The theme of my gift is all of the items you think are stupid until you need them. For example, I am going to give her one of those Bumpkin bibs with the sleeves. Before you have kids this seems like major overkill but, once the carrots start flying you get it!

So, send me your best ideas!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Jen in Chicago
04-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I am trying to think of the special runs for things we have had:
Hand Sanitizer (for the changing table, for the diaper bag, for your purse...)
Travel size packages of wipes (again diaper bag, purse, stroller storage area,...)
Key Chain for extra set(s) of keys to put in the diaper bag (never needed- Yet, but I fear getting locked )
Lots of little storage containers (Cheerios, wet wash clothes, pacifiers,...)
Cheerios- what a life saver these are!!!
Stain remover portable things (Shout makes some)
Multiple kinds of bottles if they will be using them (we had to test a number of kinds)
Good health reference book
Bells for baby shoes (found them at the Stride Rite Store)
Laundry detergent - We use All Free (Dreft is overrated IMO)
Sippy cups
Mom/Dad snacks for the diaper bag- it is important that all of the family is fed when hungry!
Extra nail clippers - we misplace ours all the time!
Extra lap pads for changing table
lots of wash clothes
Lavendar baby lotion- love it!
Good Night Moon board book for the diaper bag (hardcover is in Jude's room, board is in the diaper bag)
Church toys- quiet toys for the diaper bag that entertain when you are in quite places (church, library,...)
Lanisol (sp- nipple cream)
Sleep book
Breast pads

Joke gifts that you really can put to good use...
Tylenol, airline size bottles of alcohol, ear plugs...

August Mom
04-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Purell

Shout Wipes (These are great for treating stains while out and about)

J&J Cleansing Cloths (with the baby wash in the cloth) - it turns out these are great to have in the diaper bag for emergency clean ups and for showering after swimming class

Scented Bags (for disposing of diapers)

Newborn Mittens (to prevent scratching)

Disposable Changing Pads (These fit in my diaper bag well and then I don't have to worry about all the germs from the public changing table)

Disposable Bibs (DS always ripped these off, but my playgroup moms swear by them for the diaper bag)

Sippy Cap that fits on water bottles (This may in fact be stupid, although we do use them at times. DS loves drinking out of water bottles. The sippy opening is pretty wide, though, so a mess can still be made)

Stroller Hooks (These are great if you like to shop. You can hang lots of bags from them.) http://www.allkidsstuff.com/details.php?sku=210

Sunshade or Rainshield for the Stroller

If she has an umbrella stroller, maybe some of the Click 'n Go products by Prince Lionhart like a cup holder, sippy holder, etc. http://www.allkidsstuff.com/details.php?sku=90

Baby Bath Visor (I don't know if this is nice or not but it was on the same page as the stroller hooks and seemed to fall in this category.) http://www.allkidsstuff.com/details.php?sku=423

Shopping Cart Cover

Tiny Diner (or disposable placemats) http://www.allkidsstuff.com/details.php?sku=189
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/ibabydoc/tabletoppers.html

brigmaman
04-21-2004, 06:48 PM
After a few weeks of flying Nuks we realized they made a clip that attaches to baby's clothes. I think we must have been in quite a fog for a while. We also had a little pacifier carrier- it fit 2 inside- that hooked on to the diaper bag.
A friend bought 3 things for us that I thought were so random, but they ended up being great. The best Bumpkin bib- no arms but terry on one side and plastic on the other, some kind of baby cleaner (I think it was called Mommy's Little Helper or something, and a package of disposable changing pads. All three were great.
Also useful and easily lost are travel wipes containers.
Have fun!

redhookmom
04-21-2004, 06:56 PM
How about the visor so water doesn't drip into the kids eyes while you are washing their hair.

The mirror thing for the car.

I can't believe that is all I can think of. I know I have tons of things I thought I would never buy. I will post again if I think of any.

HGraceMom
04-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Mylecon drops
A Plastic portable wipes sleeve
vaseline (if having a boy)
alcohol & cotton
pacifiers & pacifier clips
a noise machine - we couldn't live without ours, and I laughed when we got it!
a stain stick

I'll keep thinking...

lag555
04-22-2004, 11:15 AM
A Boppy. Even if she isn't planning on nursing. I was absolutely amazed at how handy a Boppy was for all sorts of things.

Aggie

June
04-22-2004, 01:30 PM
A toilet lid lock
disposable bibs
disposable plastic table toppers for baby

starrynight
04-22-2004, 01:33 PM
A small inexpensive digital rectal thermometer for those first few months just incase. I prefer an ear thermometer but in the first 6 months they don't work as well.

If they are going to use an infant carrier type carseat one of those carseat mobiles, I used to think they were goofy but after having a kid that hated the bucket seat I bought one and it helped keep her entertained. I got a soft one at walmart for $5-6 bucks. Eliza still loves it eventhough she isn't in the bucket seat anymore.

Packs of baby washcloths, I used to think regular ones would do it but the baby ones are so much softer and easier for face washing, I keep some in the diaper bag for when I'm out since I hate using disposable stuff.

Other stuff I thought of has been mentioned alreadyf :).

cimberdog
04-22-2004, 04:28 PM
I always do a themed basket for my signature baby shower gifts:) I guess the theme would be 'comfort'..

Ingredients:

1 white basket

1 smaller massage type pillow - I get those bean bag type things that you heat in your microwave from Keep In Touch Massage therapy for $12. They are great for sore shoulders, back, etc (for mom).

1 small Yankee Candle in the Baby Powder scent, or Clean Cotton is also nice

1 bottle of Mylicon or Gripe Water

1 copy of "The Happiest Baby on the Block"
Items that coincide with using the book are also included:
-1 receiving blanket (for swaddling)
-2 different kinds\styles of pacifiers. Mini Mam and Playtex Binky are great (for sucking)

And if I have a lot of $$ to burn I'll throw in a Baby Mozart video\DVD and a couple of starter bottles such as an Avent 4 oz, playtex 4 oz with drop in liner and a Dr. Brow's 4 oz bottle. I only do that if I know they plan on using bottles or have some on their registry, as you don't want to offend a bfing mommy :)

Then I get white tulle and wrap up the whole basket and tie with a big ribbon at the top. It's such a fun gift and is always a big hit. I love amking stuff like that, although it does tend to get expensive since I can get carried away...

I also learned how to make those rag quilts which are so cool for a baby, but everyone gives blankets so it's nice to have a different kind of gift.

calebsmama03
04-22-2004, 06:23 PM
The mesh feeder (either safe feered at BRU or Munchkin at Walmart - a LOT cheaper!). I thought this was the DUMBEST thing ever until a few months ago during a major teething bout. Thank God for my mesh feeder and frozen bananas!!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

mharling
04-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I was going to mention the mesh feeder too. I have seen the Munchkin one at Wal-Mart and Target.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

lag555
04-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Also Baby Ambisol (or however it is spelled. That teething thing.)

Aggie

C99
04-23-2004, 10:12 PM
>Bells for baby shoes (found them at the Stride Rite Store)

What do you need bells for baby shoes for?