PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bedding Recommendations for us

jenmcadams
04-21-2004, 05:06 PM
We're looking for all new bedding for our master bedroom. Our cheapo down comforter has definitely seen better days and our duvet/shams/etc. are definitely due to be replaced. I'm not a decorator and given our master will probably be the last thing we redecorate (if we ever get around to redecorating anything), I'm looking for relatively neutral/basic design bedding ideas. I'm also a sucker for letting my dogs on the bed (especially when DH is traveling) and I know that's contributed to the early demise of our current duvet, but I don't think I'll ever be able to keep them off completely. So, I'm looking for recommendations on good places to look for bedding and good fabric choices that will hold up. I've been to friends houses who have much more substantial looking bedding (almost brocade like fabrics for their duvets) that they said held up better for them than the basic cotton and lightweight fabrics, but I have no idea where to look for something like that.

I've heard good things about Overstock for down comforters and basic sheets and I've seen some stuff there that might work, but I don't know where to look for nicer, more substantial duvets, shams, etc,

Any advice?

alkagift
04-21-2004, 05:18 PM
We have all-white stuff on our bed (except the sheets) specifically due to cat fur and being able to bleach things if we need to--washability is paramount! And I love white, so it's easy. We have bought things from LandsEnd. I researched the quality (fluffiness, cover quality) of their comforters and coverlets and they beat out LL Bean, Company Store, and the department stores for the money.

I have a matelasse coverlet and shams with a white sateen stripe comforter cover, similar to what's shown in this picture:

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_678_45720_76940_55370_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=0806008932075190680

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

houseof3boys
04-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Another vote for Lands End. I had a white duvet in college from them and just recently retired it to rag status (it was painful to cut it up) since it had been used so much it started to fray finally after 13 years of heavy use! I highly recommend their flannel sheets in the Wintertime too.

C99
04-22-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a Land's End hypoallergenic comforter (I'm allergic to down) that has held steady for the last 7 years or so. As for sheets, I don't have much advice. I have some Land's End sheets and duvet covers that are starting to tear after 5 years of use. I have a cotton sateen L.L. Bean comforter cover that is about 4 years old and still looks brand new.

Jeanne
04-23-2004, 12:48 AM
I'm a fan of Linen Source - linensource.com
They can be pricey but I've always been really happy with the quality. Speigel has some nice stuff occasionally as well. Also, have you tried looking in Marshall's and TJ Maxx? Lately, they've had some very expensive sets in there that I've seen in BBB and L&T for a third of the price.