PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite COLD/ALLERGY/SINUS medicine

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-21-2004, 11:22 PM
I am fighting either a cold/allergy or something...I think the only time I have felt worse is when I had the flu right after meeting Steve (the "real flu" not the cold everyone diagnosis as the "flu)...
I know most are probably going thru allergies, and this could be it...
But Steve has come home two days now with every drug out there and I am getting no relief...
What med do you prefer...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JLiebCamm
04-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I love Tylenol Sinus for all cold/allergy related problems. I used to buy Dayquil and Nyquil and felt miserable. The last time I had a cold I sent DH to the drugstore and told him to find something new. The ladies that work in the drugstore unanimously voted for the Tylenol Sinus. It works very well for me, so I'm pleased with it. You can buy it in a half day/half night pack for drowsy/nondrowsy options.

MelissaTC
04-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Neve, I just went to the Dr yesterday. I suffer from seasonal allergies and this spring has been a killer. She told me that people are coming in droves because of allergy symptoms. It is particularly awful this year. I know that otc drugs do nothing for me. If they don't work, maybe it is time to see a Dr...

new_mommy25
04-22-2004, 03:13 AM
For me Advil Cold and Sinus usually works best though quite often nothing offers relief.

Drink lots of OJ and make sure you are hydrated all day. If you can't stand water when you're sick then drink Gatorade. Take some Ecchinecia (sp?) and Zinc too. I like to buy the Echinecia drops and put some in a hot mug of peppermint of chammomile tea.

I hope you feel better Neve :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-22-2004, 09:18 AM
I never tried the Tylenol sinus etc... so that will be next
In the meantime one of the concoctions he picked up last night was Advil sinus and so far that has been the best...

Thanks again!!!!
Poor t is suffering this too...but is mommy is a lot more whimpy then he is acting over it!!!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

cinrein
04-22-2004, 09:38 AM
I second the votes for Advil sinus and Tylenol sinus. I normally use the Advil just cuz I love Advil. :)

In my experience, once the Advil sinus stops working for me it's time to take myself to the dr and get stronger stuff. Don't try to wait it out because it's only April and you'll be suffering a long time.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Neve,

I am so sorry that you aren't feeling well. Seasonal allergies are the pits! DH and I use Sudafed. Hands down,it works really well for us. There are different formulations of Sudafed and we buy the appropriate one based on our symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon!

egoldber
04-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Neve what are your symptoms? Is it sinus pain, nasal congestion, cough, itchy eyes, itchy nose, etc. ?

If you don't have a sinus headache, then you don't really need the Tylenol or Advil part of the combination medication. If you have a runny nose, the you can try something with pseudaphedrine (in Sudafed and most any other OTC cold medicine). If you have a cough, then you want something with a cough suppressant like dextromethorphan (also in a lot Cold & Allergy combo medicines, but available alone and more cheaply in Robitussin or equivalents).

If you also have itchy, watery eyes and itchy nose, or the pseudaphedrine just doesn't cut it, then you probably want something with an antihistamine. This will dry up your nose AND also help fight against whatever allergen is making you miserable.

You can usually find just an antihistimine available as a drugstore brand and it is MUCH MUCH cheaper. The names of two common OTC antihistamines are diphenhydramine (this is in Benadryl, Tylenol Severe Allergy and Tylenol Allergy Nighttime) and also chlorpheniramine maleate (this is in Tylenol Allergy Daytime and Advil Allergy).

For my seasonal allergies, I take an antihistamine like Claritin (or rather I now take a generic version of Loratidine) or Allegra. I am personally extremely sensitive to the more common OTC antihistamines like those in Benadryl and most Tylenol Allergy or Advil Allergy type things. They just absolutely knock me out and make me useless, so I can't take them.

And my allergies have been particularly terrible this year!

HTH,

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-22-2004, 12:00 PM
symptoms...all of the above :)...
No really it is just highly congested, scratchy throat (have had this now a good 3 weeks) watery eyes etc... headache but the nasal congestion when I blow (sorry graphic to explain) is a deep yellow and just keeps on coming so it might be a cold. But I think it is a combo of both. I have never noticed me to really have seasonal allergies, and if I have I guess I have just "sucked it up" but honest to god I could barely lift my head yesterday...
Feel SLIGHTLY better today...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003