PDA

View Full Version : OT: ANyone here make strawberry jam?

peanut4us
04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
I made jam a few years ago, and I want to again this year. But, DH is the one going to the store to get the berries, pectin, etc... Can anyone tell me how many strawberries go into each batch of pectin? ANd then how many jars each pectin batch makes? I can't recall, and I don't know how many strawberries to tell Scott to buy or how many pectin packages.

Ooh... and have any of you used the "low sugar" pectin packages... not the sugar free... or hav eyou used splenda as a sugar replacement for all or part of the sugar?

daisymommy
04-22-2004, 11:08 AM
1 box Sure-Jell
4 pt. strawberries
7 cups sugar
---------------------
= approx. 8 cups Jam

1pt strawberries = 2 1/2 cups whole fresh berries

*TIP: My mother (who by all rights is equal to Martha Stewart ;))swears that if you double the batch it messes up terribly and won't turn out right. Apparently it doesn't set well at all. She says you really need to make one batch at a time, so that's what I have always done.

As far as how many jars it will make, it all depends on what size you buy. One batch makes about 8 cups, OR 4-6 pts. OR 8-10 1/2 pt. jars.

I love to buy the cute little 1/2 pt. baby jars with the pretty decorative strawberry print lids. I make up these gift-size jars and give them with fresh baked muffins or croissants in a basket to friends, family, and neighbors each summer.

My mother has made the low-sugar version using nutra-sweet in the past, (never tried Splenda), and it actually tastes pretty good. It doesn't taste quite as natural to me, but for someone concerned with sugar, it's fine.

Have fun!

egoldber
04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Joey, I have made jam in the past, but its been ages. I have always followed the recipe on the pectin package, LOL! You can substitute splenda for the sugar, but the jam will not have the same consistency. It will be more watery, since sugar also helps the jam to set-up.

HTH,

JenaW
04-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Amy's info is the one I use and it always turns out great....it IS the info right on the pectin package. I have to second the comment about not doubling thought. IT DOES NOT WORK!!! I did it last year and my ENTIRE batch did not set up. You CAN remedy this slightly by putting them in the freezer for a few days, and then in the fridge, but it really pays to just make single batches, and do it more than once if you want more than what one makes.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ EDD 10.13.04

urquie
04-23-2004, 02:56 AM
not quite an answer to your question but...
last year i ran out of homemade jam and it was after berry season. after struggling with store bought varieties i discovered the best ever jam!!! now i don't even bother making it because it is as good as homemade freezer jam... which is just what it is. it's called "freezerves" and can be found in the freezer section at the store next to frozen fruit and whipped topping.

i called the company to find out where i could buy it locally (after trying it at a restaurant). here is their website - http://www.sunfreshjam.com/

on a side note - i was always a raspberry girl but there strawberry is so good, i usually reach for it first:)