PDA

View Full Version : signing time, baby einstein DVDs or both?

CBB
04-22-2004, 12:15 PM
I know many of you have them. I'm trying to decide which one to get. The deadline for signing time coop is tomorrow. Are both worth to get? What age range are they for? I'm thinking signing time would not be useful after the baby learn to talk?

Thanks,

Momof3Labs
04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
I really could have lived without my Baby Einstein DVDs but the Signing Time DVDs have been worth their weight in gold to us. I don't understand why you want one or the other - they aren't really substitutes for each other. Baby Einstein is entertainment for young infants, and somewhat educational (teaching animals, colors, shapes, etc) as baby gets older (1.5-2 years old and up). Signing Time is partially entertainment but is really about teaching baby to sign. As Colin only has about 15 words but has over 45 signs, signing has been invaluable to us. Now, my friend has a baby who is Colin's age, and her baby has 50-60 words, so signing may not have been as valuable to them.

Plus, there are a bunch of Baby Einstein DVDs and you don't need them all. They are for somewhat different age ranges, and some are better than others.

Why not get one Baby Einstein DVD and one Signing Time DVD and see what interests you? Or, even better, check one of each out of your library to see what you like.

egoldber
04-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I have them both and like them both. If I were personally going to go with "one", for me it would probably be videos from the Baby Einstein series, just because my DD still likes them at 32 months and they are a "go to" comfort thing for her. She still watches Signing Times too, but for her there is not the deep-seated affection like she has for Baby Einstein, LOL.

And you will likely find that as your child gets older, you will want a variety of a few different videos, if nothing else to rpeserve your own sanity, lol...

But I think that Lori's suggestion of one of each is a good one if you are really not sure, and don't want to spend the money for all 3 ST videos through the co-op.

HTH,

quikeye
04-22-2004, 02:55 PM
fyi, my local library has baby einstein videos/dvds for checkout (no signing time :() -- you could go check them out & see if you like them (we're on our wy today to pick one up; i was able to place a hold on it online & have it sent to my local branch, all via internet!)

I think I will get the signing time as well in a few months, b/c of the great reviews... also, the co-op has a link for purchasing the dvd gift set for the same price the co-op is offering, so if you were thinking of that set it could take the timecrunch off of your mind :)

good luck!

nak

gour0
04-22-2004, 03:32 PM
I never liked the Baby Einsteins and think they are a waste, IMO. We love our Signing Time! DVDs and can't wait for them to make three more. I think that you can learn sign language at any age and I'm thinking of taking a college class for me. My son is fascinated by all the kids on these videos and even my husband enjoys watching with him. I can't say enough good things about them.