PDA

View Full Version : Planning our trip to Manhattan. (VERY LONG).

papal
04-23-2004, 01:32 PM
We are off to NYC next Thursday night! Returning on Monday evening. We are going to be driving there (about 4.5 hours). I am more than a little nervous, since this time we have Miss Leela with us. So please help me plan this so return in triumph! :)

For the road-trip:
We are leaving around 7.30p, so hopefully Leela decides to sleep.
We are going to take one break, somewhere on the NJ Turnpike, so I can feed and change her (if she wakes up).
I am taking a couple of her toys for the car-ride and a couple of books. And her binky (along with a couple of spares!). And a blanket. Anything else I did not think off?
For us, we will have snacks (something about a road-trip, we get the munchies immediately) and water.

For our stay in my sister's teeeeeny one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan.
- Should I take the bouncy chair? She does not really sit in that much anymore but I am afraid that if I leave it behind, that is the ONE thing that will soothe her (irrational fear).
- Taking a couple of our pillows so she can smell a familiar 'scent'.
- Taking her feeding spoons and Oatmeal.
- Taking her Gymini. Not sure if i need to, she could play with paper for hours.
- Taking some felt balls.
- Taking her potty chair.
- Taking the stroller and a couple of slings.
- Not taking cloth diapers, too much of a hassle because they don't have a w/d in the apartment.
- I am thinking we can just bathe her in the sink... the bathtub is too bulky! Maybe I will take her bucket because she likes to soak in it.
- Taking LOTS of outfits, don't know if we will do laundry. And sunhat.
- Taking lots of burp cloths and bibs.
- Should I take cloth-wipes or just use the disposable ones??
- Question for disposable users. IF you have a poopy blowout and you are out and about, what do you do? How do you clean the baby up? Should i take those disposable wash-cloths?? Or regular washcloths and some soap?
- Taking her lotions and potions (soap, lotion, sun-screen, zantac, tylenol, lanisoh, bulb-sucker).

Ok, when we are out and about:
- I don't think I will get my cart-seat cover in time. Should I get the Me-Too chair (beth, i might want to borrow yours!)? She cannot sit yet. Or would it be easier to let her be in her stroller? Or should we just take turns holding her (she does not like being held!). This is my biggest problem... where do we put her when we go out to eat. Right now, we pretty much take-out food and eat picnic style. But this will not be possible in NYC.
- Cab rides. I cannot imagine lugging the Roundabout everywhere. So we are just going to hold her in our laps and tell the cabbie to drive cautiously. Is this a bad idea??? Mostly we will take the subway train, but we might have to take a cab sometimes.
- Stroller question: Does the MBUS fit through the turnstiles(sp) in the subway?? This is our only stroller and I really dont want to buy another one.
- Must buy a digital camera by Thursday!!!!! I am thinking the Canon A-80. If anyone has strong objections to this one, please let me know. It took me forever and day to do research on digital cameras... it was not enjoyable at all.

That is my list and my questions so far, if you are still reading, thanks... writing it down helped me organize my thoughts. I am getting pretty stressed about this trip!! I hope we have a good time.
-

lag555
04-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a fun trip! We have been away for a couple of long weekends, and in my experience, the lighter you travel, the better. I find that I never unpack half the gear I bring. (I always bring so many things "just in case" and it just makes a mess of wherever we are staying.) Of course, your child might be different.

And have you found "scents" to be comforting to your daughter? Because if not, I wouldn't bother bringing along extra pillows. After all, she'll have her clothing with her "scent" on it, and she'll have you. So I would think you wouldn't need to bring pillows along.

Lastly, I would definitely bring as many disposable things as I could. Especially wipes. Also disposable changing pads so you can lay her down wherever you are. If you want to take disposable washcloths, you can. But you can probably make do (no pun intended!) with the wipes.

HTH!

Aggie

One more thing. About the stroller in the subway. Every subway station has a door next to the turnstiles. (I can't remember what they call it. Maybe a service entrance?) Anyway, you pay the person in the booth and they can buzz the door open for you. So that shouldn't be a problem at all.

And I would just let her sit in the stroller whenever you are out. It's going to be hard enough getting anywhere, I'd say forget about any extra gear.

nitaghei
04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Rashmi,

Why not just take your pillow cases (that you've been using) only/ Less bulky.

Definitely take disposable diapers and wipes. You might want to keep a tub of something like Wet Ones to wipe her face or hands, but you can just use the disposable wipes too.

Honestly, don't worry about blow-outs. Leela is long past that stage. And disposables really aren't that bad! :) We've traveled and used disposable diapers with no leaks. My personal recommendation is the Target Loving Touch brand - no weird perfume or gel stuff, and they work with Neel's skinny thighs. But do keep an extra outfit with you at all times. Neel once vomited while we were at the airport, and I had to change his whole outfit. And the disposable wipes are great for clean-up - that's all you need.

You should be able to bathe Leela in the sink, so I wouldn't worry about hauling a tub. And unless the bath is a significant part of her bedtime routine, I'd suggest even skipping baths, and just sponging her down if the sink doesn't work. It's not like she'll be playing in the dirt (sigh - my life).

I wish I could meet up with you before you go - I'd be glad to lend you my cart-cover. But I'm seriously stuck cleaning this weekend. You could keep an extra recieving blanket or two - one to cover the high chair; the other to roll up to give her support. And you could keep some anti-bacterial wipes and wipe down the high chair before you put her in.

Definitely take bibs along!

I wouldn't worry about taking the Gymini - the stimulation of a new place and different people will be plenty. Keep a couple of small toys (felt balls, rattles) and that should be all you need. I'm sure you sister will have Tupperware containers or empty water bottles - they have and still are a popular toy around here!

Have fun!

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

shishamo
04-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi Rashimi,

Sounds like a fun trip!

I would try to pack as lightly as possible also. She would be fascinated by the enviornment that would be different, I think.

As for strollers, a lot of restaurants lets you wheel your stroller next to your table, so you can feed her there. I've done it plenty of times, esp. in a not-so-formal places.

Most subways have a door that you can ask to be opened next to the turnstile, so MBUS can get through there, I think. It would be hard to carry that up and down the stairs, though. I ususally bring my sling or a carrier (or Volo) when I'm going to be on a subway.

Most people in NYC don't carry around carseats when you get in the yellowcab. I actually don't know anyone who does that. Yes, it's not the best thing to do, but really, that's what I do also.

Have to go pick up my DS from school, but I'm sure the others have more input!

Good luck and have fun!

hobey
04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
I definitely second the suggestion to travel as light as you can. We just came back from Boston (whee...Nathan's first plane ride) and packed the following: Pack N Play w/ the bassinet & wedge (left the changing table at home and just used the hotel bed), Snugride (also used it in the plane), Kolcraft Car Seat Stroller, Baby Bjorn, change of clothes & sleeper for each day plus 2 emergency blow-out outfits, a few board books, his favorite toy ,and 1.5 times the number of bibs, binkies, & burp cloths that we thought we needed. We also packed a tub sponge for baths but since the sink in our room was teeny and we only had a shower, DH just showered with Nathan every day. That plus our well-stocked diaper bag saw us through 5 days in Beantown.

As far as specific answers:

>- I am thinking we can just bathe her in the sink... the
>bathtub is too bulky! Maybe I will take her bucket because she
>likes to soak in it.

We actually use a sling seat in our bathtub at home to bathe Nathan in the regular tub and I'm actually glad we decided on that at the last minute instead of the Eurotub. He loves his bath and it allows him plenty of space to splash around. I picked it up for about $7 at BRU. I couldn't find it on-line to post a link but it's the one with a metal frame and mesh stretched over it. It's very lightweight.

Showering w/ DH worked well in Boston so you could consider that too.

>- Should I take cloth-wipes or just use the disposable
>ones??
>- Question for disposable users. IF you have a poopy blowout
>and you are out and about, what do you do? How do you clean
>the baby up? Should i take those disposable wash-cloths?? Or
>regular washcloths and some soap?

I'd just use a big package of disposable wipes. We carry a package of the Kirkland wipes from Costco in our diaper bag. When we've had blow-outs on the road, we just clean him up with lots of wipes and whip out the spare outfit. We also carry a spare shirt for me or DH just in case he blows out all over us. :)

>- I don't think I will get my cart-seat cover in time. Should
>I get the Me-Too chair (beth, i might want to borrow yours!)?
>She cannot sit yet. Or would it be easier to let her be in her
>stroller? Or should we just take turns holding her (she does
>not like being held!). This is my biggest problem... where do
>we put her when we go out to eat. Right now, we pretty much
>take-out food and eat picnic style. But this will not be
>possible in NYC.

If Leela is happy in her stroller, I'd just sit her in it and try to get out of the way tables so you can park her away from the main thoroughfares.

Another option is using her infant seat but I remember you mentioning that she hates the thing.

>- Cab rides. I cannot imagine lugging the Roundabout
>everywhere. So we are just going to hold her in our laps and
>tell the cabbie to drive cautiously. Is this a bad idea???
>Mostly we will take the subway train, but we might have to
>take a cab sometimes.

Can she stand her infant seat for those times you have to take a cab?

>- Stroller question: Does the MBUS fit through the
>turnstiles(sp) in the subway?? This is our only stroller and I
>really dont want to buy another one.

I forget how the subways are in NYC (it's been forever since I've been there) but we used the T in Boston and just used the handicap accessible gate when we had the stroller. I imagine that the subways are also handicap accessible. We actually got to ride free several times since the turnstile attendant took pity on us and just waved us through when we tried to give them the tokens. LOL

HTH

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

emmaandgeorge
04-23-2004, 03:51 PM
We will be going to NYC next weekend as well -- with 2 children! I am dreading the trip as we have to lug everything with us. the worst part, though -- which it sounds like you don't have to worry about -- is that my SIL's is NOT childproof. I spend my entire time lifting things out of reach and keeping the kids from killing themselves.

WE lived in NYC with both kids until recently. It is easy to get around on the subways. Avoid rush hour with a stroller, though. You can go through the hand-cap gate -- let the token booth person know you are there and then swipe your metro card through the adjacent turnstile and he/she will unlock the gate. It is the safest way to get around with the kids. As far as cabs, no one I know drags their big carseat with them. we all just hold the kids on our laps and pray. I usually tried to avoid cabs, though. THere are portable car seats you can buy, but for a short trip, I am not sure you want to invest.

The MBUS might be a little big to bring into restaurants, unless it is a big one (and a lot in NYC is not big). When the kids were too small to sit in a high chair, we generally took turns holding them. Alot of people in NYC use the infant car seat with the kolkraft wheels WAY past the cut off (as in a stroller there is no safety issue) so that they can just bring the infant car seat to the table. I don't have an answer for you there.

Definitey go disposable. Bring an extra outfit with you wherever you go.

Don't worry about the tub, unless it is part of her routine.

She should be well entertained at this age and don't need to bring too many toys. We end up not bringing a lot with us, as they end up just trying to get into everything else (it is all new and fascinating to them) anyway.

Have fun!

sadie427
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Don't stress, you'll have a great time! I've found Sammy travels pretty well, and doesn't need a lot of gear, especially not a lot of toys as he is plenty stimulated w/ the new people and sights. And more gear just means more work for me, because it's more stuff to haul and keep track of. I'd definitely skip the bouncy seat and the gymini, I don't think you'll need them. Also most likely you won't be hanging out in the apartment, you'll be out on the town.

We just sat sammy in his stroller in restaurants before he could sit up, we'd end up holding him when he got fussy though. We never ended up getting a me-too seat, since you can't use it on certain tables (eg pedestal tables) and when they sit well they can sit in the restaurant high-chair. But if you could borrow one, it might not be a bad idea. We sat Sammy in one at around Leela's age and he seemed comfortable.

For blow-outs in disposables, I just use a ton of disposable wipes. For other messes (eg food, spit up) I just carry a washcloth or cloth diaper. And ziplocs or some other kind of waterproof bag for whatever gets dirty.

Wouldn't bother with the bathtub, you could bathe her in the sink or regular tub, sponge-bathe her or take her in the shower with you. Would skip the pillows for the scent.

The only thing you shouldn't skimp on is clothes, if you don't think you will be able to do laundry. And make sure you have anything you would need if she picks up a bug (tylenol, thermometer, bulb syringe, saline.) Sunhat, sunscreen for sure. And slings are great for traveling. And I don't know where you are with solids--if she eats teething biscuits those are great for restaurants.

BTW if you don't mind me asking why does she have a potty chair? Daycare sat Sammy in one the other day, because they heard him trying to poop and thought he might go in the potty, but I thought he was so young! Maybe that's another thing you can leave at home.

Anyway, have a great time!

Susan

jamsmu
04-23-2004, 05:27 PM
"- Taking her potty chair."

Is she potty trained already?? Or is this something I never heard of?

A few things:

Bring a few cloth diapers to use as changing table pads on the bathroom changing tables.

Do you have a pak n play? This was wonderful for us when we flew to nc.

Wipes should work well for a blow-out. You may want to bring a few plastic bags (like from the grocery store) incase you have dirty diaper and don't have anywhere to dispose it.

Use the stroller at meals. Thats what we did with Carson until just a few weeks ago.

Do you have "links"? Those linking toys? We always attach a few to his stroller to give him something to play with and we won't lose it that way.

Gerber makes travel packs of rice cereal. single serving, so there is no measuring. We use these whenever we go away.

The First Years (I think) makes Take N Toss spoons, bowls, etc. They're cheap and great! I reuse mine (and DH likes them better than all of our bowls and spoons) but if you lose one, no big deal.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

ETA--You may want to bring some Benedryl and a med. dropper. On our first 2+ hour trip, DS became carsick. It was terrible as he screamed the whole time. After the trip, the ped said I could have given him a 1/2 teaspoon of benedryl with lots of water. If Leela's never been in the car that long, you may want to have some ready just in case.

papal
04-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Nita, what kind of disposable wipes do you use??? I also have a strong aversion to the scent in disposable diapers and wipes. Thanks for the Target brand suggestion.. the Pampers we tried last time almost knocked me out (strangely, dh did not smell anything!).

papal
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Raquel, thanks for your suggestions. We don't have a Pack and Play... that would have been so useful to have, especially for her naps.
We also no longer have the infant car-seat (which she hated!). We returned it to the people who had loaned it to us. So i guess we will just carry her in the cab. My sister says that all her friends do that...but mostly we will take the subway.
Did not think of carrying a spare shirt for dh and me! THANKS for the idea!!!

papal
04-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the tips Julie.
I will get some Benadryl and the linking toys (i have been meaning to get those forever!). Oh, and i still need a binky-clip because she keeps dropping it everywhere.

Regarding the Potty Chair. These days we are kind of following her cues in that regard and letting her pee in the potty chair. She is quite good about it and pees in it at night... it is called 'Elimination Communication' here in the US.

Thanks again!! I am making lists of everyones suggestions and destressing! :)

caleymama
04-23-2004, 06:37 PM
First of all, have fun!

Second, I just wanted to add that I don't care for scented wipes (the scent bothers me and seems to irritate DD's bottom). We've used and liked Pampers Sensitive Touch and Huggies Natural Care unscented. We just traveled this past weekend and at the grocery store I found soft resealable packs of the Huggies that were maybe approx. the size of a Pampers refill. Perfect for traveling! Also, the Pampers Sensitive Touch refill packs do have a resealable cover over the opening that I've used in a pinch while traveling.

About the bouncy seat - I wouldn't bother. DD is always so interested in everything going on around her in a new setting that I always found that much of the toys and gear that I brought went unused. There are new people to entertain her, DH is around, and she just wants to explore.

JLiebCamm
04-23-2004, 10:27 PM
That is amazing. I can't even imagine DS using a potty chair yet and he's 16 months. Are girls better at that stuff than boys?

papal
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
LOL Jessica.. i think both boys and girls would do equally well, but i have no personal experience if there are any differences between training the two. I would think that the earlier you start, the easier it is. Because after a while, they get used to peeing in their diapers since their 'communication' was ignored. Does this make sense?

jamsmu
04-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I read an article that Europeans usually start potty training at 6 months and on avg. Americans start at 3 yo.

Rashmi, any technique advice? I can't imagine getting Carson to go on a toilet, but it would be great to try!

Kudos to Leela for being so mature!

Marisa6826
04-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Rashmi-

First off, I am happy to loan you my PnP. After all, it's the least I can do in exchange for the bunny ;) .

If you can borrow Beth's Me Too chair, it might be a good idea, although the majority of restaurants have highchairs. However, if you have a shopping cart cover, bring it to cover the highchair.

If you're grossed out by disposable wipes, just use wet paper towels. They work just as effectively. Pampers and Huggies makes non-scented ones FWIW.

The stroller might be fine, but honestly, if Leela is used to a sling, it will be significantly easier to get down all those subway stairs without a stroller. Some of them are two flights down (and then two flights up!).

I personally wouldn't lug around the Roundabout. It will be an utter nightmare. If you can avoid taking cabs, do so. Take the subway or a bus. She will be exponentially safer on a bus (because of its sheer mass) as opposed to sitting in a cab.

If you have poopy blowout, you usually keep a set of spare clothing in your dipe bag, and keep either a few ziplocs or plastic grocery bags with you in the dipe bag as well. One for the poopy dipe - NOTHING is worse than walking into a bathroom where somebody has left an unwrapped poopy dipe to fester. And another ziploc/plastic bag for the dirty outfit. Just remember to take out the bag when you get back home ;)

I don't think that the bouncy chair is a necessity, although I have a Combi Activity Rocker that you're welcome to borrow if you wish.

For whatever it's worth, there's a Buy Buy Baby on 7th Avenue and 25th Street in case you need anything last minute.

Please let me know if you want the PnP and the Combi Seat, I'd be happy to run them into the city for you. I'm a 1/2 hour away.

Oh - bring a thermometer. You never know when you will need it.

-m

Eloise36
04-24-2004, 05:30 AM
Rashmi,
Have a terrific time in NYC!! Leela is going to have such a great time because there is so much to see and do. In your shoes, I would travel as lightly as possible. Definitely ditch the Roundabout! For your outings, I would have an extra outfit, disposable diapers, diaper wipes, some antibacterial wipes (paranoid mom here), a pack of tissues and a bottle of water. The antibacterial wipes are great for wiping down park benches, restaurant high chairs and tables, and the tissues wetted with water are for cleaning baby's hands and face after eating (Can you tell I have a very messy eater here? :)) Bring a couple of toys and links to entertain Leela in her stroller and high chair. If you can get the Me Too chair in time, I HIGHLY recommend it. We got ours this week and love it so much we have even started using it at home. If you don't have your own high chair, you can either use a shopping cart cover for the restaurant high chair, wipe down the high chair with an antibacterial wipe or feed DD in her stroller. IMHO, the Gymini would be good as a playmat for Leela in the apartment, but you might be feeling overloaded at this point. You definitely don't need the baby tub. When I travel with DS, I always bathe him in the sink. Bring lots of baby receiving blankets -they are handy for padding and for diaper changes. BTW, I don't use a changing pad anymore. Instead I use an old baby blanket and a cheap plastic table cloth (like what you get from Dollar stores) that serves as a ground sheet... this would be good in case you have to change Leela in Central Park :) It's good to have the ground sheet in New York - I don't even want to tell you about the time I had to change DS in a public bathroom in NYC... I was so glad I had a ground sheet then!

Have fun, take lots of pictures and please let us know how your trip goes :)

jojo2324
04-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Rashmi, I've travelled through Manhattan with an MBUS. Not the easiest thing, but doable. (It's the MBUD I worry about. :P) Especially since you'll have help. If you can sling her to get down the steps, and have DH carry the stroller, even better. Like others have said, have the token booth clerk buzz you through the service turnstile. I would try to take the subway, or a cab. I don't know the bus system well at all, so I'd rather not mess up, get lost, AND have a baby to contend with while trying to figure it out. In the cab, I don't use a car seat. You can ask the driver to be cautious, but it most likely will fall on deaf ears. You'll be asking the whole ride. Driving in NYC requires literally no thought at all - you can't think about it or you WILL get into an accident. (Just my experience, I actually like driving in NYC.) Also, before you hail a cab, pull Leela out and collapse the stroller. That way you're not struggling with everything while the cab is in the middle of traffic. (They tend to stop wherever.)

One thing with the MBUS is that it's really long, so you might have trouble if you're shopping and need to get into elevators with other people and their strollers. Oh, some subways have elevator access. They're usually stinky, but sometimes a heck of a lot easier than getting up 2-3 flights of stairs. (And the stairs might be stinky too.)

I would skip the playmat, pillows, bath stuff. If she has a blow-out, I've found wipes to work just fine. Definitely bring extra outfits, or don't and have an excuse to go shopping. :) (Utilized that technique when DS decided to puke all over himself. Fun!) I always pack too much - I'm working on it, but half the stuff we haul along goes unused and takes up precious cargo space and energy. Does she sit on her own yet? Most restaurants have high chairs, and do not have space for the MB. If DS was tipping over because he couldn't support himself, we would prop him up with our sweaters, blankets, jackets, etc. Go disposable, absolutely. I know the smell can be irritating. I find Pampers to be less smelly than Huggies, and I prefer Huggies Natural Care wipes. Plastic baggies for potential blow outs is a good idea.

Also, most Gaps have a changing station, as well as department stores. (Macy's, Lord and Taylor) Otherwise, best of luck finding one - the MBUS might have to turn into a make shift Koala Korner. The Gap near Rockefeller Center has a really nice bathroom, complete with chairs and everything. It's conveniently located in the baby section. :)

OH!!! One thing I learned the hard way - the MBUS has tires that can pop. :D I don't know how you can prepare for that. Just watch the ground/floor as best you can. Particularly if you go to Daffy's. They have lots of excess tag holders/alarm tags on the floor. (But such fabulous clothing for babes!) Luckily, I was literally going to the door to leave, so I only had to throw the stroller in the cab and then make my way home.

Good luck and have a great time!!!

papal
04-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Julie,
First, MDC is Mothering.com discussion boards. Here is the link (they are temporarily closed for maintenance so I cannot give you a direct link to the EC (Elimination Communication) forum, but will update later!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/

As for tips... here is what we do:
As soon as she wakes up from a nap, we take her to the potty chair. While she is sitting in it, we make a sssss or shhhhhh sound. The sound is important as they learn to associate that with peeing. You can even just take Carson to the sink (pee is STERILE.. just rinse sink after use). Start out this way, and if you have the patience, every hour, or after a feeding, take him again. Does this make sense? Also, if you have more patience, observe him for a day. Watch for cues. Babies will usually let out a cry or whimper before they go pee. There may be many false alarms, but that is because you are not tuned to his cues just yet. It is never too late too start Ecing.. if it is within the first year. I think that after a year (this is what i have heard), it might be too late to start ECing because the babies have learnt to stop giving cues or holding their pee, because they learn to pee in their dipes. Does this make sense?
It is not an ALL or NOTHING deal. Leela still pees in her dipe, but it is very exciting when we are able to get her to pee in the potty! :)

papal
04-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks Marisa! I will let you know about the PnP (are you sure it won't be too much trouble?). Not sure their tiny apartment has room for it and I am hoping that Leela naps on the bed.
I might pop into the Buy Buy Baby to get the Me Too chair... or ask my sister to pick it up before we arrive.

Taking the thermometer and Benadryl and Petroleum Jelly.

Thanks for all your tips. My list is getting comprehensive!!

Marisa6826
04-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Rashmi-

Here is the PnP that I have. http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9531SAR&productID=172&tab=features

I thought that the site would have had the dimensions. It's honestly not that big. I have it in the corner of my livingroom as a downstairs changing area.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 3' x 4-1/2' It does have a 3/4 bassinette Leela's too big for it at this point. What's nice about it is that it DOES have the changing area, so you're not killing your back sitting on your sister's bed changing dipes.

What part of NYC is your sister in?

-m

papal
04-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Marisa, I think i might borrow it!
And Leela is just shy of 2ft, so she may even fit on the changing table! So the top part is where she can take a nap, and the bottom is where she can play right? That looks excellent!!

My sister lives on the west side, on 86th street. If you are on the way from DC, we can just pick it up and drop it off? Would that work.... i should probably take this off-line... emailing you!!! :)

papal
04-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Joanne! Thanks for the tips, glad someone has MBUS experience in the city. I will take the air-pump that comes with it.. not sure if that will fix the pop, but might help with deflation.

The thing is that Leela cannot sit on her own yet. If we prop her up, she can sit, but not otherwise. That is why I wanted to get my the seat cover.. the extra padding would keep her in place...then I can fold up the MBUS and keep it out of the way.

I don't think we have any shopping to do because we are focussing on the eating (as usual! ). heehee.

I am getting all excited now!! I love NYC so much and am SO JEALOUS of my sister who gets to live there!! :)

PS: Joanne, did you happen to get a chance to visit any of the shoe stores that i had listed.

jamsmu
04-24-2004, 01:34 PM
DH will love that you filled me in on this! We just may give it a try. Though not this weekend as we'll be at my parents and I think it needs to be a steady, consistent time for him. I'll let you know what happens--I'll probably have lots of questions!

Thanks for the advice,

Julie

cinrein
04-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Rashmi,

I didn't read all of the responses, so forgive any repeats.

I used to sit in the back seat with Anna and entertain her for trips to visit our families in PA (about a 3 hour drive). I discovered when she was 7 mos old and had to make the trip alone that she did much better without me back there. She slept pretty much the whole way without me back there "entertaining" her. So if Leela isn't sleeping, move to the front seat.

We have some music that soothes Anna in the car. A must have! It's music that we usually listen to when she eats, but really anything that Leela is familiar with should help her if she's fussy.

I wouldn't take the bouncy. Babies are usually intrigued by new faces and surroundings. Leave the gymini home too. I would take a blanket for her to play on and some toys.

We have an inflatable tub we use when we travel. It's great for when you don't want to put the baby in a skanky hotel tub---or waste water when your families live on a well and are in a drought situation. We got ours at Target. I can loan it to you if you'd like.

I've always cleaned blowouts with disposable wipes. What I needed was lots of wipes, sometimes a complete new outfit (even socks) and a BIG changing pad or blanket to lay the poopy baby on. I have a HUGE
changing pad that I leave in the car that you are welcome to borrow.

I'd bring a nightlight in case Leela fusses at night so you can get to her without turning all the lights on. Also bring a thermometer--this I did have to use when traveling.

I have a Buggy Bagg that I'd be happy to lend you for the weekend. It comes with a long pillow that helps support new sitters. If Leela can't sit at all, then she won't be comfortable in it. Do you still have her infant seat? Many restaurants have a sling type thing that you can sit the infant seat in. Oh, I just remembered you borrowed the seat. You can use our Graco Snugride if you think this will work.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

papal
04-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi Cindy,
I am emailing you!!