PDA

View Full Version : New England gardeners, when do you plant seeds?

Rachels
04-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm wondering when it's safe to start seeds and annuals, given this crappy weather. What do you think?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

caleymama
04-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Well, we're not New England so you'll probably get some better replies from others, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in since we were just talking about this. My Mom, north of NYC, said the date there is approximately May 15. Since we're farther upstate I think we'll wait a little longer. DH just got the vegetable garden dug out yesterday (this will be our first full summer here) so now it's just a matter of waiting for better weather to arrive more consistently. Our bulbs are just starting to appear - we had one crocus pop up in the flower garden last week. DH said there's a possibility of snow here Tuesday night ... UGH!!

billysmommy
04-25-2004, 10:42 AM
We planted our pansies 2 weeks ago (they look so good now) :) and this weekend planted our peas, leeks and some lettuce. These can have a frost or two so we went ahead with them. Oh carrots can also be planted now. We are going to wait another couple weeks for the rest of our vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, broccolli, etc) and some herbs. We already planted our rosemary also as the last couple years it was fine outside all winter but it just didn't make it this time :(