PDA

View Full Version : buying airline tickets

billysmommy
04-25-2004, 03:37 PM
We are flying to St Thomas in July and I am in the process of finding (or trying to find :) ) a good fare. My question is if you order the tickets from an online site (ie travelocity, expedia, etc) how do you let them know that you are traveling with a little one and would like to book the window and aisle seats in a row so hopefully the middle seat will stay empty for Billy? Do you just book the flight and then call the airline and explain the situation or would I be better off calling the airline themselves and booking the tickets through them?
Thanks so much for any help :)

brigmaman
04-25-2004, 06:22 PM
When I booked online this past time, I purchased my own seat and there happened to be a place where I typed in 2 passangers. It then asked it we either were children. However, even though I had done that online, when I went to purchase my son a seat for the same flight (I had decided after my purchase that I wanted a seat for him), American had no record that I was flying with a child. It wasn't a problem, but just a note to maybe confirm with your carrier after your online purchase. If you want assigned seats, you can also call your carrier.
I have always found much better prices online than calling the carrier directly. My son's discounted fare purchased directly from the airline ended up costing the same as my full price internet fare.
I guess my response was based on you not purchasing a ticket for your baby. If you attempt to purchase for a child online, you will most likely be directed to call anyway, though you may be able to quote fares you have found online if you call right away. I haven't tried that.
Good luck!

Rachels
04-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Even if you wind up with an empty seat and can carry the carseat on, they'll probably make you put it in the window. Call the airlines direct and ask about infant fares, though. You'll be more comfortable and he'll be much safer if you can strap him in.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

billysmommy
04-25-2004, 10:05 PM
The reason I am looking into not buying him a ticket is that I have spoken with the airline a few times regarding this flight. All of the people I have spoken with say the flight we are taking rarely is full as most people going down to San Juan leave first thing in the morning while we will probably be leaving around noon so there is a good probability there will be an empty seat. Should I still buy him a seat?
I mentioned booking the window and aisle seat because then the seat between those will be one of the last booked and then we will have the row to ourselves, I have no problem putting seat wherever they need me to put it.
I wasn't sure if I needed to book through the airlines to do it this way or if I could do it online.

jd11365
04-26-2004, 12:08 AM
If it's usually empty, then I would give it a go and not book the seat...but that's just my opinion.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

boys2enough
04-26-2004, 01:07 AM
DH and I have the mind set of taking advantage of "the free tkts for under 2 years old" rule as much as possible. But after flying to Taiwan on full flights and going thru the scares of ALMOST not getting an empty for Gabriel, I vowed that I would definitely buy a seat for him next time. BUT we are flying to NC in May, and we didn't buy a tkt for him--thinking that it's only a 2-hour flight. And when we do take another long flight, he will be too old to fly free any way. So it is really your call.

And yes, if you book window and aisle, even when there is someone there, it will be easier for the flight attendant to find them a "comparable" seat to move them to. My experience with a full flight is that: it is seldom (I wanted to say Never) really really full. If the flight attendant feels sorry for you, they WILL be able to move that passenger. So teach your DS now how to flash his most charming smiles and flirt! lol. ;-)

Not sure which airline you are flying, but United website and American airline website will allow you to select your seats when you are purchasing tkts on-line. Travelocity has this feature as well. If you can't do that on-line, you can always buy the tkts first, and then call the airline and ask the CS rep. to reserve window and aisle seats for you. Just explain to them that you are travelling with a lap child, and most will take pity on you. My trick is to call in the late evening when they are not as busy therefore tired/cranky, and to hang up and call again if it's a male rep (sorry guys...) or if the person doesn't sound friendly. (to make sure I talk to a sympathetic person. kwim?)

HTH some. Have fun on your trip!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

teddy
04-26-2004, 10:03 AM
I buy United Airlines tickets through Orbitz.com and they will let you pay for the infant 1/2 fare online. The United.com site will not. On Orbitz you can choose your seats so you can reserve the window and aisle. But I don't know about not booking your child's seat and hoping the flight is not full. Good luck!

cuca_
04-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Lori,

What airline are you flying with? I ask because I fly into San Juan about once a month with DD, and in my experience the flights are usually very full. I fly JetBlue the most, and I don't think there has ever been an empty seat on one of my flights. I have also flown with American and I have gotten an extra seat only once. I now buy a seat for DD. It is not only safer, but also much more comfortable. Oh, I also have flown during the week, in the morning, afternoon, etc... I think the late night flights may generally carry fewer passengers. Don't know if you purchased your tickets on one of these. Also, other airlines' flights may not be as full. Just wanted to give you this information. Enjoy your trip.

HTH

Carmen

brigmaman
04-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the Orbitz tip!!

Sarah1
04-26-2004, 03:55 PM
We use Orbitz, too--we always buy DD a seat, and as teddy said, it lets you price out seating for an infant. It's great.

I'm always wary of hoping for an extra seat. Flights are generally really full every time I fly.