PDA

View Full Version : How to "prepare" for cleaning person?

LD92599
04-26-2004, 09:59 AM
I'm getting a cleaning service for my birthday this week...can't wait! How romantic, right? Dh asked what I'd like for my birthday..and, well...a clean house, top to bottom, would be really nice.

So....how do you "prepare" for when your cleaning person comes in? I can see myself running around that morning making sure everything is away..i mean, the person is there to clean and not to straighten up, right? Should i throw everything that's "out" into a basket somewhere?

TIA!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

teddy
04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure how to really prepare for the cleaning person, but when we were small, my mom used to always say, "Clean the house, the maids are coming!" LOL...

How lucky for you to get a clean house for your bday!

Jen in Chicago
04-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Lucky you!

For our cleaning crew I put out fresh sheet and towels and make sure all dirty laundry gets to the hamper. I used to pull out cleaning supplies (we provide), but I no longer even do that. They clean and straighten which is great!

Momof3Labs
04-26-2004, 10:25 AM
I usually clear the clutter. If I don't, they will, but then I can't find anything! Well, not that bad, but I'd rather handle it myself than let someone else do it. And I'd rather that they spend their time cleaning dirt than clearing clutter. If I have credit card bills or other financial information/social security numbers, laying out, I tuck them in a drawer.

papal
04-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Great birthday present!! What a sweet idea!!

I would say, put everything in its proper place before the cleaning crew arrives. I know that at my sister's place, everything looked so clean after the cleaning lady left, but we could not find anything!! She even put the toothpaste and floss in the cabinets and we all went insane trying to find them!! I would put everything in its proper 'home' and ask them not to rearrange stuff, as much as possible.

hez
04-26-2004, 11:22 AM
I clear the personal clutter before the cleaners come, too. My study goes through phases of clean/neat and disaster, so when it's in disaster phase, I just put my clutter in there and close the door (they know not to open closed doors).

We usually clear the clutter the night before, then put out the new linens the morning of. We actually strip the bed, but that's an agreement we have with our cleaners.

Oh-- and one more thought. My husband is fanatical about rinsing dishes before they go in the dishwasher-- I always have to ask him the status because it's hard to tell clean from dirty. We leave a very clear note for the cleaners about whether the dishwasher's full of clean or dirty, because we came home once to find the (dirty!) dishes had been put away.

jec2
04-26-2004, 12:47 PM
What a great idea. Too bad though that the cleaning crew has to be gifted to you (perhaps like getting a vaccuum for your anniversary :b) HOWEVER, my b-day is coming AND I think I might ask for this too. DH and I are going loco at the dirt and the mess. So, I am glad you asked this question. But, what I really need is "junk-mail sorter" and an "important paper-filer"!

papal
04-26-2004, 12:54 PM
>>But, what I really need is "junk-mail sorter" and an "important >>paper-filer"

<sigh> This is my dream job. I wish i lived close by, i would do it for free.

jbowman
04-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday, Laura! What a great gift!

When I was a kid, we used to put things away before the cleaning lady got there. My mom used to say, "clean up before the cleaning lady gets here!" I read that another poster had this same experience, LOL!

Also--I saw someone mention putting away *dirty* dishes--yesterday I was complaining to DH about our dishwasher as I started putting away dishes, only to realize that the dishes were dirty...and that I forgot to run the dishwasher! How tired am I?!

momma_boo
04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
>(perhaps like getting a vaccuum for your
>anniversary :b)

LOL! I ended up getting a vaccuum for my birthday! It died right before my birthday and I had told DH not to buy me anything in an effort to save money, so we agreed to get me a "gift" of a new vacuum.

momma_boo
04-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Never had a cleaning person, but you've given me an idea. Perhaps I'll ask DH to get someone to totally clean the house as an anniversary gift. Hmm. Maybe my gift for DH would be to get the windows cleaned!

jec2
04-26-2004, 08:04 PM
No way? I need you to move!!!

LD92599
04-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow night shoving clutter into a huge basket LOL!! Really, I am psyched at the prospect of our home being cleaned top to bottom..yeah, kinda sucks as a gift...but at least I hope to get alot of satisfaction out of it (for the short term!). I am *hoping* I might be able to swing this monthly (let's see...Valentine's Day, my birthday, mothers day..fathers day (!), anniversary...hmmmm...we'll see what happens.

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

lukkykatt
04-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Ha! This is what I am taking a break from doing now! Our cleaning people are coming tomorrow. I try to remove all the clutter from the house so that all they have to do is clean. If I have the time, I like to sort through all my paper piles that accumulate, and take care of what needs to be done with those items. Put all clothes, toys and other "debris" away. On nights like tonight though, I am more shoving clothes baskets in the closets, etc. Oh, and putting away my Easter decorations because I am too embarrassed for them to see that I haven't done it yet :)

Some people think going through this is too big of a pain, but I love it - it keeps me honest. Who knows what my house would look like if I didn't have this deadline hanging over my head. Oh, and I love the (very temporary) feeling of the whole house being clean all at once!

Ok, back to work for me... Enjoy your present!!

lukkykatt
04-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Rashmi, you're pretty close to me...I could make your dream come true, LOL! I have a constant battle with the paper piles and most days, they're winning!

boys2enough
04-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Happy Birthday, Laura! That's a great present. But you should let DH know that the cleaning lady is here to save HIS life. You know, he'll get a less tired and less cranky wife at the end of the day; and he doesn't have to scrub the toilets now!... ;-) At least that's what I constantly remind DH, "She is here to clean the bathrooms for you! Because if she weren't here, you'd be the one who's doing that!" lol

Yes, I am one of those people who clean up before the cleaning lady shows up. Not that I am ashamed of showing a messy house to people (I mean with 3 boys, if they have a problem, hey! not my problem!), I just feel that it's not her job to pick up the toys and dirty clothes around the house. Like some other mom said, without this "deadline," my house would never get pick up regularly. I also make it a clear point to DS: that the cleaning lady is here to help ME, not to help HIM. So, sorry, buddy. Go pick up your room and all the rest of the house so she can do her job. It actually works like a charm. Normally I can't get him to pick up his toys, but if I say, "Ms. M is coming tomorrow. Go pick up your Legos." He'll go do it without too much complaining. (He's also afraid that his Legos will end up in the vaccum. lol)

Enjoy your nice clean house, and I am sure your house will stay clean longer than mine. lol :)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

tinkerbell1217
04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I would just straighetn up a bit and clean whatever made me uncomfortable. Don't overdo it!! Let them do the work! Its your birthday gift! Thats what they are supposed to do!!

Kelly