PDA

View Full Version : What do you wish you had registered for?

Jen in Chicago
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
My co-worker is starting to plan for their first baby. I am racking my brian trying to think of the things friends bought or told me to register for that I did not know about. 3 items I was purchased or recommended that I did not know I needed are:
Baby Bjorn plastic bibs
A second Pack N Play sheet
Johnson's Baby Relief Kit.

All three items have been put to good use time and time again. What can you think of that you never knew you would need so much, and now could not live without?

cchavez
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
tons of cloth diapers to use as burp clothes....DS was a terrible spitter upper until close to 6 months....we received two packs of clothe diapers to use as burp rags and about 2 packages of "burp clothes" those were much too small....DH went out and bought 2 more pkags of cloth diapes w/in the first week that DS was born...we really needed them...

mattiew
04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Lots of baby washcloths, who knew you could use 12 in a day : )
A second changing pad cover
a video monitor - still wishing for this ; )
flannel crib sheets

HTH!
Carrie

MartiesMom2B
04-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Re-chargable batteries and a battery charger. We went through tons of D Batteries.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Melanie
04-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Little Visor for the bathtub
Nursing Stool
Boppy or the like
*Carter's* bath towels
Anything FP aquarium

YES! Rechargeable batteries - good one!

Digital Camera!

billysmommy
04-26-2004, 01:05 PM
My favorite shower present was a basket filled with a battery charger and all different kinds of rechargeable batteries. I can't tell you how many times this has been used :) It was by far the one present that I didn't think/know I would need and has gotten the most use of anything :)

Tracey
04-26-2004, 04:00 PM
One thing I bought that we didn't know just how much we needed is a sleep positioner. We followed our hospital's advise and rotated DD...side--back---side,...for sleeping. I also let her sleep on me on her tummy during the day. We never had any problems with resisting tummy time or any flattening of her skull.

BethinMass
04-26-2004, 04:01 PM
hmm, let me think...

Bouncy seat - good for a long time :) when you just need to put the baby down.

Ear or Forehead thermometer - (please excuse any bad spelling) While this isn't always 100% accurate, they give you a good idea of if you need to take a rectal temperature when they are little. As they get older they get more accurate and our great when your child is sleeping and they aren't feeling well :)

Humidifier! - Big one I wished I registered for, the nice one's can be expensive and I remember going out in the middle of the night to a 24 hour cvs to get one when Hannah was first sick :/

I'd be careful about swings etc, and make sure they get a gift receipt. With my daughter, she hated it :/ With my son, he loved it.

You never know what will work with each child.

If you couldn't tell, both my kids are sick :) so thinking along that idea *grin*

Momof3Labs
04-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Get a gift receipt with the bouncy seat too - Colin hated his!!

hez
04-26-2004, 05:01 PM
One thing we registered for, and which my husband believed were unnecessary were lots of bibs. He's now converted. Along the lines of the cloth diapers for burp rags, the bibs got lots of use. We went through a spit up period where the limiting factor for doing DS's laundry was his bibs. We're past that point now aside from the expected solids mess. I bought a couple new bibs every week at the beginning just to avoid doing laundry every 3 days (or so it seemed!).

Melanie
04-26-2004, 05:24 PM
The funny thing about this thread, is just how different babies are is illustrated. So far 2 people have posted "must haves" which for us were "wastes of money." LOL!

HGraceMom
04-26-2004, 06:16 PM
A "Better" stroller, definitely. I thought I'd be "sensible" and go with the standard Graco travel system. 2 years later & I still regretted the choice every time we took the squeaky-wheeled mamoth out. I finally broke down and bought a "good" stroller this spring, and it's made my life "just a little bit" happier!

Diapers in every size, Tons more Onesies, Mylecon drops (do they make a gallon size? That's probably how many we used!) and an extra pack'n play for Grandma's house.