PDA

View Full Version : 50 Worst Songs

ritacheetah
04-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Blender magazine just came out with a list of their 50 worst songs. #1 is "We Built This City." Any thoughts? What is the song you hate the most?

Mine is a toss up between "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Kokomo."

Tracy
Mom to Victoria, 12/20/03

momathome
04-26-2004, 01:23 PM
I thought the Macarena was pretty stupid. And, hey, Total Eclipse of the Heart was my Sophomore formal theme song! ;)
-Lauren

papal
04-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Ok, i must be a total dork because I like all 3 of the songs you mentioned! I am SO not hip.

ritacheetah
04-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Oh, no - please don't take my post personally! Everyone has their own musical taste. Just thought we'd get some laughs out of it!

Live long and prosper,
Tracy

papal
04-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Tracy, not taking it personally at all.. my reply was light-hearted and it may not have conveyed! Seriously, i am so not hip though! heehee. Proud to be a dork here!

PS: On the dork theme... yesterday i saw this guy wearing a t-shirt with the word DORK printed on it... and his wife/girlfriend had this t-shirt on that said 'I LOVE MY DORK". Instead of LOVE it was a red heart. I thought it was pretty funny (and brave!). :)

ritacheetah
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Whew. OK. Cool. But what song do you hate?

Live long and prosper,
Tracy

mharling
04-26-2004, 01:52 PM
I actually liked "We Built This City." Kokomo or Macarena would be at the top of my list.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

MelissaTC
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
LOL...I must be one too...I LOVE "Total Eclipse of the Heart"...That is an AWESOME song and my friend & I sing it at every crop we go to...

khakismom
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
I hate Kokomo too. Also, Bad to the Bone and Addicted to Love. UGH!!

DeeEast
04-26-2004, 03:02 PM
One of the first that comes to mind is "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart. My skin crawls at that guy's voice.

Sarah1
04-26-2004, 03:03 PM
>Ok, i must be a total dork because I like all 3 of the songs
>you mentioned!

ME TOO, RASHMI!!!!!! and I have to sing now! We built this cit-eh! We built this cit-eh on rocccccccccck and rolllllllllllll, BUILT this cit-eh! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! That Jefferson Starship tape was my FAVORITE in high school, probably because of the song "Sarah" (my name!)

I basically like ANY song from the 80s. ANYTHING!!!

Edited to add a song I HATE...well, I'm not a big fan of that really annoying song, "Hot Hot Hot"--not sure who sings it. Kokomo's pretty bad, too!

AND I'll share my favorite 80s groups: Culture Club and Thompson Twins!!!

deborah_r
04-26-2004, 03:07 PM
I have to agree with the hatred of "We Built this City" and "Total Eclipse of the Heart". At some point in life I know I liked "Kokomo" but can't say I would pop it in the CD player today!

One of the songs I hate the most is "Electric Avenue" - Is it by Eddie Money? I don't know, but that song totally gives me the skeeves.

tinkerbell1217
04-26-2004, 03:08 PM
MACARENA!!!!! Hands down, the WORST SONG EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly

ritacheetah
04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
>One of the songs I hate the most is "Electric Avenue" - Is it by >Eddie Money? I don't know, but that song totally gives me the >skeeves.

Eddie Grant but you were close...

Tracy
Mom of Victoria, 12/20/03

amp
04-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Good one Deborah! Electric Avenue - Ick! And it wasn't Eddie Money, but I can't tell you who it was.

Also, Safety Dance. Yuck!
And I know I'll get flamed for this, but anything by UB40. Red Red Wine makes me want to scream!

And Kokomo is really stupid because as far as DH knows, the only Kokomo is in Indiana, not somewhere tropical as they are implying (will willingly accept is this is wrong).

papal
04-26-2004, 03:45 PM
I think there is a place called Kokomo and that is where you might want to go, to get away from it all.... ok.. ok.. dont throw stones at me... anyway... i think it does exist someplace in the Bahamas... i remember being a lame-o geek and finding all the places on the map that are listed in the song.
Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahama,Key Largo, Montego, Florida Keys, Martinique...

OR was Kokomo the one that I could not find... ok, let me google and come back,

starrynight
04-26-2004, 04:35 PM
"she bangs' by ricki martin, I hated that dang song before but after hearing it 4000 times by the AI guy I really can't stand it! I'm not a 'red red wine' fan either and don't get me started on the marcarena ;). It seems to be a regular hate list contender from talking to various people.

(I understand some people like it and I'm even guilty of doing the dance once or twice but I hate the song none the less!)

Piglet
04-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I am a dork too :)

I like Kokomo, and We Built This City. I also really like Electric Avenue (Eddie Grant). I am an 80's nut!

The ones I hate -
You're Having My Baby (Paul Anka)
My Best Friend's Wife (is the Love of my Life) (also by Paul Anka - do you sense a theme?)
In the Year 2525 (worst song ever, really - "in the year 2525 if man is still alive, if woman can survive...")
Also,(please don't hate me) I HATE Celine Dion with every fibre of my being

As for Bender, they put the Sounds of Silence on their list. I have a bone to pick with them on that one.

Jeanne
04-26-2004, 04:42 PM
That "Hero" song from Bette Middler. It just goes on and on..........

papal
04-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I like to listen to Celine (when dh is not around, he cannot STAND her), but if i ever see her perform on tv, i get really irritated. She emotes to much. Just SING. Don't close your EYES!!!

I love Sounds of Silence!!! Why did they pick that one????

MelissaTC
04-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Awww....I LOVE "You're Having My Baby"...that was one of the songs DH & I would sigh to together while I was pregnant...

jubilee
04-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Well, Kokomo was my song with my ex-husband- so it's at the top of my worst songs! LOL

Actually the very worst song is that one from the 80's they played on the rock stations "I wanna be a cowboy, and you can be my cowgirl... Yippee-yippee yi, yippee yo yo yo"

etwahl
04-26-2004, 07:11 PM
i was just about to post i hate Electric Avenue more than anything. i HATE that song and always have. i remember hating it from day one.

but i am a total dork and listen to 80's music on the radio whenever i can...i am a total 80s girl :) one of my favorite oldies is 867-5309 :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

bluej
04-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Oh yes Julie that HAS to be the most awful song ever! Now, unfortunately I'm sure I'll have it stuck in my head for a good week!

Marisa6826
04-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Gotta say anything Celine Dion or Whitney Houston. BLECHHHH!

-m

Elilly
04-26-2004, 07:48 PM
"Black Velvet" and some song with the chorus "All I want to do is make love to you". It just weirds me out!!! Probably the Catholic school girl in me.

Imperia
04-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Sob,

if you mean "Hot Hot Hot" by The Cure I might have to cry as they are one of my favourite badns (although I will admit to not being a huge fan of that song).

To quote South Park: "Disintergration is the best album EVER!"

Imperia

Imperia
04-26-2004, 08:15 PM
I hate so many songs this is hard:

the song I hate most lately would have to be "The Reason" by Hoobastank (I ever hate their name). Epecially because my DH LOVES it and plays it oh 80 times a day. We went on a 5 hour car trip recvently and he kept playing that track over and over, sigh.

I really hate "I'm your Lady" by Celine Dion (you can pretty much say I hate anything by her, in general)

Oh but my all time most hated song might be "Cherry Pie" by Warrant.
It's just gross and offensive, the video, bleh!

Hmmmm anyone want to start a "what's your fave song" thread...I am considering it!

Imperia

deborah_r
04-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Oh, Cherry Pie is really bad! I agree! Just recently saw it on some VH-1 show and it was just horrible.

Sarah1
04-26-2004, 09:50 PM
No...that was a good song! I loved the Cure too! I had a big poster of Robert Smith on my wall :)

I'm referring to the song they always play at weddings, on cruise ships, etc..."how you feelin'?? HOT HOT HOT! how you feelin'??? HOT HOT HOT!" More of an annoying party song. I want to say it's by Buster Poindexter, but I have no idea if that's actually correct!

ritacheetah
04-26-2004, 09:57 PM
DH and I are starting another list - "Worst songs by good bands."

Tracy

JLiebCamm
04-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I really, really hate "Mony, Mony". Maybe it was too many high school dances, too many weddings, too many times hearing, "Hey, hey what...." in between the verses, but this song makes me cringe.

Jenmv
04-26-2004, 11:47 PM
I can't remeber the name of the song as I have tried to block it out of my memory, but my most hated song ever is that stupid song by Heart where she picks up a hitchhiker soley for the purpose of getting pregnant. There's some hokey line about 'planting seeds' and 'starting a garden'. Yes, I so often fantasize about being knocked up by a stranger. Who writes this stuff??!! BLECHHH!! It's just awful on every level.

August Mom
04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
I can't stand "I'm Too Sexy"

deborah_r
04-27-2004, 12:08 AM
That is so funny that you mention the picking-up-hitchhiker-to-get-pregnant song!!! I started typing a post earlier and couldn't remember exactly what the song was about (I thought of it when someone mentioned the "All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You" song - might be the same song?) and since I haven't heard it in so long I thought maybe nobody would no what I was talking about and they would just think I made it up!! Seeing you mention it validated it for me, and yes, it is a truely ghastly song. In the end it's something about her looking for the guy and when he sees the kid he'll be looking into his own eyes. Totally weird!

deborah_r
04-27-2004, 12:12 AM
My biggest problems with Electric Avenue (besides *everything* about ti, lol!) are the raunchy sounds in between the lyrics, and then the use of the entirely overused "take you higher" phrase. Or I think he says "then we'll take it higher". I hate almost every song that uses this lame phrase. If you listen you will hear it everywhere.

My only exception is the Doors song that uses the phrase. Can't diss The Doors!

Jenmv
04-27-2004, 12:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the "All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You" line is from that song. Maybe it's the title. It was popular with some of my friends when I was in high school. I'm like do you people even listen to the lyrics. It is NOT romantic. Just creepy.

Imperia
04-27-2004, 04:06 AM
YAY!!!!

Yep, it was Buster Poindexter! That annoying ex band leader on SNL who had the creepy hairdo, and always looked way too hammy.

*sniff* I never had a Robert Smith poster!

DH did just buy a new Cure DVD though, it's pretty nifty.

Imperia

himom
04-27-2004, 05:03 AM
I also HATED "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You." What a horrible concept. "My lover can't get me pregnant, so I'll have sex with a hitchhiker and hope he understands. Whoa oh ooh whoa." It's like STDs never existed.

Whatever.

2nd and 3rd -- "I'm Too Sexy" and "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car."

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

drsweetie
04-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Without a question I hate "Hotel California". Although pretty much anything by Phil Collins is a close second, as is "Stairway to Heaven". Oh, and "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak.

jbowman
04-27-2004, 10:39 AM
This is the playlist from hell:

"Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin
"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins
"Music" by Madonna
"We Will Rock You" by Queen
"Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker
"I Want Your Sex" by George Michael
"If" by Bread
"Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill
"Rosanna" by Toto
"Hotel California" by the Eagles
"My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion

wagner36
04-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Let me preface this by saying that Neil Young is my absolute favorite, and I generally like everything by Crosby, Stills & Nash (especially when it was CSNY).

But "My House" by Graham Nash is the worst song EVER!

My house is a VERY VERY VERY fine house???

Are you kidding me??? Very very very? Can you not think of better lyrics than that? Graham Nash is ridiculous.

ritacheetah
04-27-2004, 01:57 PM
All these great lists and I only had three on my original post - so here are some more (sorry if I offend anyone!)

*Jump (The Pointer Sisters)
*Der Kommisar (Falco) - can someone explain why this was a hit?
*Like a Virgin (Madonna) - I like Madonna but this one sucks.
*You Gotta Fight For Your Right (to Party) (Beastie Boys) - would a bad song WITHOUT them singing (shouting) completely off key
*Girls Girls Girls (Motley Crue)
*Mony Mony (Billy Idol)
*Into the Night (Benny Mardones) - I never even realized this was about seducing a 16 year old girl - no wonder it gave me the creeps
*Get out of My Dreams (Billy Ocean)
*Naughty Naughty (John Parr)
*Hot Girls in Love (Loverboy) - I'm a Loverboy fan, too
*Talkin' in Your Sleep (the Romantics)
*Ghostbusters (Ray Parker Jr.)

Live long and prosper,
Tracy