PDA

View Full Version : Tylenol use etc while pregnant?

marchmommy
04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I am 13 and a half weeks. My Dr told me it was ok to use tylenol, as well as claritin and fluonase for my symptoms (low 99.8 fever, cough, runny nose etc). Did any of you take any of these while you were pregnant? Did your Drs also say they were OK to take?

Marisa6826
04-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Tylenol is completely fine. Don't know about the flonase and claritin though.

Sudafed is also completely safe.

Here's a page from askdrsears.com indicating what's safe and what's not:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/T011500.asp

Feel better.

-m

signsing
04-27-2004, 09:27 PM
I took tylenol and sudafed and benadryl when pregnant. Started on flonase just after the baby was born. I came home from the hosp and my allergies hit me like a ton of bricks. Flonase should be fine since very little of it enters your bloodstream, which is why it is safe for nursing as well.

HTH
Betsey
Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

COElizabeth
04-27-2004, 09:46 PM
I have taken Tylenol while pg this time and have never heard of anyone being told not to. My sister's OB okayed Flonase during pregnancy, too, but my internist told me that it was in a less favorable category than some other allergy meds (in the system of rating drugs for use in pregnancy). That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it, but it wasn't his first choice. Unfortunately, I can't remember what he said would be better. It might have been Sudafed, but I don't remember. Another consideration is that I think you have to use Flonase for a long period for it to have most effect. If you have allergies a lot, it could be a good choice, but for a cold that will go away in a week or so you might not want to bother.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

billysmommy
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I used Tylenol and Sudafed while pregnant. Also if you ever have a cough you can take Robitussin (but I forget which formula, there is one you can take and the others you should stay away from)

tinkerbell1217
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Doc told me it was okay to take Tylenol in moderation if needed. And, with DD and DS, he told me I could take Sudafed also (I have allergies). When my friend was sick with a bad cough and cold her doc told her a certain cough medicine was okay too. Hope that eases your mind a bit!

Kelly

s_gosney
04-28-2004, 01:30 AM
I also took tylenol and my OB gave me zyrtec when I had allergy problems. She also said it was fine to take bendadryl and sudafed.
One thing though...if you take an antihistamine (like benadryl), you might want to run a humidifier if you have one. I ended up with the only nosebleed I've ever had in my life after taking benadryl. This isn't a big deal of course, but just thought I'd throw that in. HTH!

Saartje
04-28-2004, 01:40 AM
I know that both Tylenol and Claritin are considered safe. Flonase I don't know about. Is the doctor telling you this your OB or another doctor? I'd only take advice from an obstetrician (or family practitioner, as opposed to a general practitioner) on what to take while pregnant.

urquie
04-28-2004, 03:11 AM
as far as the allergy meds go... i was told NOT to take claritin. was told zyrtec (sp?) was safe but it made way too dehydrated. and my allergies were terrible. then i was switched from flonase to nasacort which pretty much took care of all the allergy problems. nasacort is great!!! if i have a specific reaction to food or something immediate i take benadryl.

everything was prescribed by my allergist then okayed by my ob.

cinrein
04-28-2004, 07:53 AM
My OBs are very conservative and OKed the Tylenol. In fact, I was told I must take Tylenol if I have a fever while pregnant. It's very important to keep your fever low.

I didn't have the need for the other meds, so don't know about those. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

missym
04-28-2004, 09:48 AM
My ob/gyn was fine with me taking Claritin, but not Claritin-D. I took 10mg of Claritin daily while pregnant and breastfeeding. For a decongestant, she recommended Sudafed. Tylenol was fine.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

Jen in Chicago
04-28-2004, 09:50 AM
When pregnant I took Tylenol, Zyrtec, Flonase and Benadryl. I have a healthy baby boy!

amp
04-28-2004, 11:06 AM
I did take Tylenol quite a few times when I was pregnant, for headaches in the first trimester. OB recommended and ok'd this.

My OB ok'd Claritin, but I didn't feel comfortable using it, as I had read some obscure, one-time study about how it did something to some fetal penises. I know...weird, but I wasnt' taking any chances).

I did take some benadryl (also ok'd by OB) when I was sick and when I had some allergy issues.

Never took Flonase and don't remember if it was on my "ok" list of meds or not.

calebsmama03
04-28-2004, 11:15 AM
I took tylenol and it was fine. Not sure about the others though.

Just to reassure you, I was on TONS of nasty drugs for PTL (from 22 weeks till almost 37 weeks) and they caused horrible s/e in me so I was scared to death of what they'd do to C. He is fine.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

marchmommy
04-29-2004, 12:55 AM
thank you everyone for your feedback!!! i definitely think it's allergy-related. I rested all day yesterday and am feeling a lot better, and temp is down to normal. But if it goes back up, I will definitely take Tylenol.. . .By the way, what does HTH stand for?? and what is PTL? Thanks again!

lilarkk
04-29-2004, 02:39 AM
First of all, congratulations on your pg!

While pregnant with my first 2 kids, I broke out in hives. I don't know if it's a hormonal thing, but after I delivered them and things started to go back to normal, I broke out in hives again!

Anyway, my Dr prescribed me Claritin(at the time it wasn't available OTC), since he said that it was one of the few anti-histamines besides Benadryl that was safe during pg.

Tylenol is definitely safe! That's the only pain reliever I take while pg. Normally, I use Motrin, but while pg, Tylenol all the way!

As far as Flonase, I'm not sure. You can always look it up to see. If it falls in category B, it's pretty safe, however, you'll still want to confirm that with your Dr. If it's in category C, I wouldn't use it.

BTW...Robitussin worked well for me when I had a persistant cough this winter.

HTH!

calebsmama03
04-29-2004, 05:06 PM
HTH = Happy to help
PTL = preterm (premature) labor
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Saartje
04-29-2004, 07:48 PM
>My ob/gyn was fine with me taking Claritin, but not
>Claritin-D. I took 10mg of Claritin daily while pregnant and
>breastfeeding. For a decongestant, she recommended Sudafed.
>Tylenol was fine.
>
>Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

Odd combination, since IIRC the decongestant in Claritin-D is the active ingredient in Sudafed.