PDA

View Full Version : HELP...PANICKING about DS 1st bday 60 guests and food expected...

jda312
04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
I am now officially FREAKING out about my DS 1st birthday party (which is THIS Sat 5/1 from 3-5 pm). Against the wise advice of all the wonderful contributors on this board, I went ahead and invited a boatload of people to the party AND implied on the invite that food (not just cake and ice cream) would be served, i.e. "Come Hungry!". I won't go into the foolish details of why (it would be too long to read), but I have 60 positive rsvps (40 adults, 20 kids) and another 12 who haven't even replied yet.

I started to write a very long preamble (sounded like it should have gone in bitching post), but ultimately I think I have just one burning question right now:

If I order hot food from a restaurant (at this point it's tacos, rice, beans, & chicken nuggets), do I need to keep it warm with chafing dishes or something? I think so, but DH does not.

TIA

Jennifer
Mom to Noah 5/5/2003

momma_boo
04-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Jennifer,

Don't panic. You'll be fine. I had a pretty big party for DD's 1st Birthday also (I think the final count was 40).

I think you would need the chafing dishes. My party was at 1, the food was delivered around 12:30 and I don't think we ate until 2 (people trickled in slowly and everyone was busy saying hello and holding the baby). (I did put out some cheese, crackers and fruit for people to nosh on). The restaurant you are ordering from probably will be able to loan them to you. If not, they aren't that expensive. You can buy them at a Party City type store or even Costco.

Good luck! Don't forget to have a good time!!!

cinrein
04-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Deep breath! It sounds like Noah will have a great time!

I think you need the chafing dishes. If you can't get loaners, I believe you can rent them too.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

August Mom
04-28-2004, 09:59 AM
If you are serving hot foods, then probably you should keep it hot. If the restaurant has a catering department, then chafing dishes should be available. This is not the style of food you were describing, but I know that Boston Market does this, for example. Any chance you want to change to cold food? Maybe a meat tray or prepared deli sandwiches? We had a much smaller party, but we got a tray of grinders from a local restaurant and it worked out really well.

jd11365
04-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Don't panic...easy for me to say...I have 30 adults 10 kids and a life sized Elmo coming to Kayla's party on Saturday. (BTW Elmo was not my idea...my mother ordered him as a surprise...) Anyway, we are doing a 7 foot sub from subway to avoid the hot food issue. It feeds 30 (5 of my friends are vegetarians though so they will probably just have the pasta salad and fruit salad I am making to go along with the sub.) It was like $50 bucks (maybe $60 w/the extra foot, but I can't remember exactly), so you could probably do a 6' and a 3' or even two 6' subs for around $100 bucks or so...which I think is a good deal for feeding all those people...and no worry about serving/chafing dishes/clean-up. If you go with chafing dishes, I agree w/ Esther and check w/ the restaurant first...otherwise as she said, they are pretty cheap at the Party Store.

Oh, and remember, think of the age of the kids...many of the kids coming to our party will be eating cheese/yogurt/fruit still...not real food. I'm going to have some "toddler food" available too like Yo Baby yogurt, cheese cubes, and fruit to keep that crowd happy too.

Good luck, have fun and and early Happy Birthday to Noah! :)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

bnme
04-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Are chafing dishes the same as what I call "racks with sterno". Its a metal frame rack that holds the large foil pans most caterers provide for this type of situation. You fill a large pan with water and then place the smaller pans above it. And the sterno is a little can you light (kerosene?) that keeps the food warm (goes underneath the pan). You'll need the food to be hot to start out, so if it is not use the oven to heat it first. I imagine the place you are getting the food from has them, you usually have to leave a deposit for their return. Other wise BJs or Party City.

If this is what you meant, sorry to repeat info. I think a chafing dish is something not disposible and more expensive so I am just bringing up this cheaper option. But I am probably stating the obvious, not sure because I am no expert in this area!!

Good luck and Happy Bday to DS

cchavez
04-28-2004, 10:45 AM
They had dispoable chafig dishes at my big lots. The whole set including the burner and serving utensils was 6.88. It was quite a bit cheaper than party city. hth

jda312
04-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Thank you all so much for replying so quickly!! I knew I could count on you (and this board). I appreciate all the helpful info, recommendations, and bday wishes.

Thanks for making the distinction btw chafing dishes and racks with sterno, because I was going to ask about this, but didn't want to cloud the issue. Thanks also for the $6.88 BL tip . Will check it out. It's little pieces of info like this that calm me down.

I think I should do subs (which is what I mumbled to DH this morning as he left for work). The only reason we kind of resisted on the subs was that we were trying to be a little different and DH LOVES Wahoo's fish tacos. However, for their party platters they charge ~ $6/person and I know I would have been a little upset if I spent that kind of money and no one ate (which is entirely possible at a 3-5 pm party). Of course, I wouldn't actually buy for 60 people.

Any of you have any advice/experience with whether people will eat at 3 - 5 pm on a Sat afternoon. Is the general rule "if there is food, they will eat it"?

Hah! DS is the big loser here, isn't he. He needs a bath. He's been neglected the last couple days. I will not plan another birthday party until he is 10!

Thanks!
Jennifer

Chelsey333
04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
I think people will definitely eat. Between 4-5 is close to a typical dinner time and people know that you are serving food. Another option, though not original, is to just order pizza. We just had my son's 2nd bday party and it was the best party I have done, bec I ordered pizza and made appetizers and a salad. We only had about 20 adults and 12 children. But ordering pizza really enabled me to enjoy the party and relax a bit. Though it was still hectic with all those people. My family usually throws parties between 1-2pm for bdays and everyone always eats. But I think eating at 2pm is an odd time, but everyone must plan around it. Good luck with your party.

redhookmom
04-28-2004, 02:09 PM
My DH is a caterer and I asked him about the 3-5 slot and he said that everyone will eat. He suggested doing a couple of side salads. they are inexpensive and you won't have to worry about running out of food.