PDA

View Full Version : Sad...

nohomama
04-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Yesterday we had to put our cat, Pooky Bear, to sleep. He would have been 14 on May 1st. We were already sad because we will be moving across the country in a few short weeks, away from very good friends and the only home Lola has ever known. Now we feel simply devestated. To have lost Pook, a constant in our lives for many years, feels just as overwhelming as it would to have lost a human member of our family.

We are weary of all the tears and saddness and could use any and all affirmations that happiness is on the horizon.

So terribly sad,

cara1
04-28-2004, 02:35 PM
We have two cats, one with a heart condition, and we know that a similar day is always looming for us, so I feel for you. First of all, happiness is DEFINITELY on the horizon, for sure by August, right? I think there are two schools of thought after the loss of a pet, one is to wait a while, and the other is to get a new one quickly. Do you have other pets? If not, think about getting one soon after you move and get re-settled. On the other hand a new pet AND a new baby may be too much.... Sorry for rambling, I guess you guys have a lot to think about... What have you told Lola?

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Sarah,
I am so so sorry that you had to do this. I know how much you and DH loved Pookie Bear and am just so sick for you all. A goodfriend had to put their beloved cat down late last week and I actually said something stupid like "gosh we hurt so much at this time is it even worth it to have them for the severe loss that we are almost certain to have to go thru (assuming we out live them)" and she quickly said "of course!!!!!"...and I knew the answer but just was so mad that any of us who love out pets so have to be dealt this part of it.

Please know our thoughts are with you guys and that we are deeply saddened that you are going thru this.

Pookie had a marvelous life from what I can tell, and will be watching over you all for the rest of you lives, at a great kitty cat angle...from above looking down...

Again so sorry, no words can say...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

etwahl
04-28-2004, 02:38 PM
sarah, i'm so sorry. it's extremely hard losing a pet. they are part of our families. you definitely need to grieve their loss as you would any other member of the family. i'm really sorry hon.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

papal
04-28-2004, 02:41 PM
So sorry about Pooky Bear. It is so hard to lose a pet, losing my dog was a defining moment in my life :(
I hope your move goes well, i am sure you will make plenty of new friends. But i know how sad you must be to leave everything familiar behind. Wishing you safe travels and many happy days ahead.

jbowman
04-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Sarah,

I am really sorry for your loss--we lost our family dog 8 years ago and I still miss her very much. I completely understand how you feel. It will get easier.

MartiesMom2B
04-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Sarah:

I'm so sorry about your loss. You did lose a part of your family and my heart is heavy for you. There is happiness on the horizon, please don't doubt that. You will have a beautiful addition to your family in August, you and your DH are moving up in the world. Pookie will always be alive in your hearts.

Hugs,
Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

amp
04-28-2004, 03:13 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your cat!

I have been in your shoes. Last February 2003, when I was pregnant, we were dealing with a glut of sick cat issues. I was so worried about losing the newest cat or the oldest cat. Out of the complete blue and very suddenly, the middle cat, who was just approaching 10 yrs old (and frankly, my dearest baby) became ill and needed to be euthanized. It was heart wrenching. I cried for weeks. I don't think a night went by for at least 2 wks that I didn't cry myself to sleep. I tear up even thinking of it. He was my beloved Dakota and he was the coolest cat! I still miss him terribly and although some would say he was "just a cat", he left a hole in this family that will never be filled. I am still so sorry that Jake never officially got to meet him, although I know he felt the pain I was in, and I feel certain that Dakota has been somehow involved in teaching Jacob and the other cats things they never did or considered before. Dakota was one original cat and I see his mark in all kinds of things. And I hope he is waiting for me when my time here is done.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know how painful and profound an experience it can be to let an animal be a part of your family and to lose them. I am sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family.

Momof3Labs
04-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Sarah, I'm so sorry about your loss of Pookie Bear. I know how hard it is - been there way too many times, and more to come in the near future, I'm afraid. The pain does gradually subside, though I admit to still crying occasionally for my "baby girl" who died 2.5 years ago.

There's a sweet book called Cat Heaven that I recommend (we have the dog version here) - it is simple enough to read to Lola, but comforting to adults too. While I wouldn't consider it a deeply religious book, it does have Christian references (God, heaven, etc) so might not feel right for everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0590100548/qid=1083177197/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1046882-4168951?v=glance&s=books

For Every Cat an Angel is cute too (well, the dog version is at least) but is a little more general (not just about pet loss):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965922510/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-1046882-4168951?v=glance&s=books

lukkykatt
04-28-2004, 03:44 PM
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know that you are going through alot right now, between that and your upcoming move. Know that we are all here for you.

Although right now things may seem overwhelming, they will get better with time. We lost our beloved cat Lucky (hence my user name) about a year ago. It was very hard for us, and even harder because I had to explain to my then 3yo what had happened.

Please remember the wonderful life that Pooky Bear had with you whenever you are feeling sad. Happiness is on the horizon...

khakismom
04-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. It is heart-wrenching losing a pet (I lost my precious pup 2.5 years ago.) I promise it does get better and easier each day. Big hugs to you sweetie!

ktdid74
04-28-2004, 04:27 PM
So sorry to hear about your kitty! It sounds like he had a long, full, and happy life. I know how painful it is to lose a pet so you have my deepest sympathies. Good luck with your move- I'm well aware of how hard that is, too. Take care--

lisams
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your cat - losing a pet is incredibly hard. You are going through some major changes right now so you have every right to be upset. TIme will help comfort your sadness. Take care of yourself.

Lisa

mamahill
04-28-2004, 05:38 PM
May Pooky Bear rest in peace, and you be at peace that he is resting. Hugs to all of you. I share in your mourning.

cinrein
04-29-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm so sorry. I know how empty a home feels when a furry member is no longer there. I can only imagine how upsetting it must be to also be packing up to move to a new home.

As others said, it does get better and you will be happy again. I promise! Hugs--

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03