PDA

View Full Version : How much do you tip for a massage?

egoldber
05-04-2004, 11:39 AM
DH and I are away for a little getaway and I will be getting a massage. I have never had a "real" massage. How much is the tip customarily? And also, if the place adds a 20% tip to the fee, do you tip on top of that?

Thanks!

jec2
05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
I usually try and tip about 15%. Sometimes if it is a new place I am going to, however, I ask the receiptionist what is customary. Usually they'll say anywhere from 10-20%.

No, if there is already a tip included, then I would not tip on top of that.

lisaE
05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
I tip 15-20%. I have tipped more than that, if it was especially good. Or if I had hairy legs, or something like that, haha.

If the tip is added already, I might add just a few more dollars.

papal
05-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Beth.. when I asked at Circe, they said that if a tip is included in the massage (like when you get a gift cert).. you do not have to tip over that.. otherwise, 20% is a good tip if you really love your massage.. otherwise 15%.

mmm... massage... i could use one right about now!!! enjoy yourselves!!

nohomama
05-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Let your experience be your guide. If you receive what you consider to be an excellent massage then a higher tip (around 20%) is appropriate. Tip less or not at all if you have a less than stellar experience. If a gratuity is already included in the cost of the massage, then anything additional isn't necessary. If you'd like to give the massage therapist a few dollars though, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

I live in an area where tipping is the exception, not the rule. Those clients who do tip me usually tip around 15%. I have a few clients who are very generous and tip closer to 20-25%. If I lived in a major metropolitan area (NY, LA, Chicago...), I would expect to be tipped at 20% consistently.

As others have mentioned, it's perfectly fine to ask the receptionist or the therapist themselves, what is customary. I hope you have a wonderful massage. You certainly deserve it.

kransden
05-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Am I the only one nosy enough to ask where you're thinking of going? Ah... a little getaway... I only get those in my dreams now.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

egoldber
05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
LOL! DH and I are in New Orleans. We go home tomorrow. Not too exciting though. He is here for a conference and I have been lazing around while he works. (Sarah is at home with MIL.) I went to the spa at the Ritz Carlton today, and it was amazing. I had a European facial and a 60 minute massage, plus the use of their sauna and steam room. Yummmmmm......

But I felt no obligation to tip more than the mandatory 20% :)