PDA

View Full Version : Help! I am trying to get DS to nap in crib....

StaceyKim
05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
My DS could nap anywhere....stroller, bouncy seat, car seat, in my arms, etc. etc. and it's been great because I haven't been a slave to his naps but now that he is down to 1 nap a day sometimes 2 I would like him to be in his crib where he is the safest especially when I am home. He is just over a 1 year old. Has anyone had these same issues? What did you do to get them to nap in the crib?
Any advice would be appreciated!

P.S. He goes to bed every night in his crib with no problems whatsoever. Sleeps from about 7:30pm to about 7:30am.

deenass
05-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Up until about 3 weeks ago my son ONLY napped in my bed and ONLY after I nursed him to sleep ... sometimes this would take 30 mins so i finally decided he was going in his crib (where he does sleep at night).

I nursed him in his room (instead of mine) and laid him in the crib. I then stayed with him and rubbed his back ... took about 10 mins to get him to sleep. 3 weeks later it takes less than 10 mins to get him to sleep but I NEVER leave until he's asleep (the few times I've tried have been disaster).

Maybe I got lucky, I don't know, the sleep gods did not bless my son, he's not the best sleeper in the world (but never cranky so who am I to complain I guess?)

Good luck!

jk3
05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
My DS is 11 months old + he just started napping in his crib about 3 weeks agos. Putting little toys in his crib-plastic bath toys + stacking cups, nothing that can suffucate him-have helped tremendously. He plays with his toys, cries a little bit + then decides to nap!

bnme
05-05-2004, 09:07 AM
I have almost the same situation with my 16mo DS. He sleeps 12hrs at night and goe to sleep by himself in his crib. But naps have been a problem since he was about 10 months. It had gotten to the point that he would only nap :
1. in the car
2. in my lap or
3. reclined in his high chair watching 'Blues Big Musical' .Not something I'm proud to admit, but it worked for a while! He was a big swing and stroller napper when he was an infant and I think this is where our issue began.

When he escaped from his high chair while I was in the bathroom I knew I had a problem. Plus with baby #2 on the way I didn't want him to be so dependant on me or driving around for naps anymore.

I started putting him in his crib for naps using our same night time routine about a week and 1/2 ago. I was scared at first because I did not want to disrupt our super-easy night times and his great night sleep at all, but I HAD to do something.

He has been napping but I will admit there has been some crying. Not more than 15 minutes, thank god. His naps are also shorter (only about 45 minutes) but I am hoping they will lengthen. Monday he fell asleep right away (no crying), and yesterday he played in his crb for 1/2 hour (no sleeping). He later fell asleep in the car on the way to Gymboree. His bedtime is 6pm and I have not made it earlier though he seems like he could go down as early as 5 some nights. I hope this will help lengthen the nap.

The transition has been much easier than I feared so my advice is go ahead and try-you never know. I know CIO isn't for everyone but it has worked for us in a couple of situations. And you can try the same scenario without using CIO or using a method you are comfortable with.

Good luck!