PDA

View Full Version : I could use some job related/fee input re: opportunity that has come my way.

sbjf
05-04-2004, 06:03 PM
A local publishing company wants me to write a third grade curriculum workbook for them, it's going to be 96 pages long and this would be a contract type position, work from home.

The woman left a detailed message with the above info and wants to talk to me asap. I left her a message in return a little while ago, but before she calls back I'd like to have some type of an idea as to how much money I should look for for an assignment like this. Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty excited about this opportunity because I could really use the money, of course!!

khakismom
05-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Great opportunity Bonnie!! Sounds wonderful!

Bonnie, she will most likely have a dollar figure in her head when she calls you back. When you acquire an author and sign them to do a book, you know how high you can go in order for the book and publishing company to still be profitable.

Ask her if this is a straight fee or if you will be given royalties (a % of the book's profits based on how many they sell). Cirriculum books are a different breed because normally they don't involve royalties, but some do. She will also be basing her dollar figure in her head based on if you are a first-time versus a previous author. New authors are paid less.

Her figure will probably be a price per page, such as $8 per page. So think about how much you want. To me, $8-10 sounds reasonable. Also, ask if there's a signing bonus or a bonus for getting your chapters to them early.

I worked as an editor doing this very thing--among other stuff :)--for over 8 years so if you have any more questions, please ask away. Good luck!!

sbjf
05-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Thank you so much Maureen! Your input is a huge help, now I feel better prepared for my conversation with her.

I've never worked as an author before, this is new for me. My background is in teaching (8 years) and I have my M. Ed. in Education as well.

I'll keep you posted!

suribear
05-04-2004, 08:39 PM
First of all, congratulations! It is a great feeling, huh?

It depends on how they would pay you. I have a great set-up where I get paid on an hourly basis for contract work.

Can you find out what the going rate is for this sort of thing? I researched that before I gave them my hourly rate and quoted between the mid to high range. After two years, they recently gave me a large increase, without prompting!

Somehow $8-$10 per page seems really low to me as it would mean under $1000 for the job. Hmmmm. Of course, I'm in a different field so I can't say.

Kris

sbjf
05-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Hmm, good idea. Tomorrow I'll call around some other similar type publishing companies and see what their starting rate is for such a contract. Thanks for your input!

jd11365
05-04-2004, 10:34 PM
I taught 3rd grade so if you ever need someone to bounce an idea upon, feel free to email me. Good luck!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

sbjf
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Thank you, Jamie! I sure will!