PDA

View Full Version : I am Pregnant and DS has (we think) Fifths Disease! Questions.......

StaceyKim
05-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi,
My DS has been diagnosed with Fifths Disease (after discussing symptoms on the phone with pediatrician) and I am 6 months pregnant. I called my doctor and now have to go in for a blood test ASAP to make sure I am immune to Fifths Disease! She said it is very RARE that the test would show that I have Fifths Disease but I am still a little nervous about it.

If anyone out there had a similar situation, please tell me what happened!

ETA: Thanks for your responses. I heard the greatest risk is when you are only 14-16 weeks pregnant. I will keep you posted!

brigmaman
05-06-2004, 05:22 PM
I had the test for immunity with my first pregnancy because I worked with children. Of the few people who I know who've been tested, they've all (3) been immune I guess through past exposure.
I remember being nervous when there was an outbreak in our school anyway, but apparently once you see the symptoms in a child, he/she isn't contagious anymore.
It's a pretty common childhood illness, so you may have had it and not even know it!
ETA- I also remember the school nurse telling me that it is the biggest threat in the first and third trimester.

jubilee
05-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Oh no! I just wanted to say I am praying for you, your son, and unborn baby. Let us know what is happening.

bnme
05-06-2004, 06:40 PM
During my 1st pregancy I came back positive for 5ths, but I just had a high count due to immunity. They had to redo the test due to some confusion so for a while there I was worried I might've had it. If I remember correctly, the biggest risks were very early in the pregnancy. I don't remember where I got the info from but I probably just used google to search.

Best wishes.

twins r fun
05-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Try not to worry too much. Like others, what I've heard is that the biggest risk is during the first trimester and (I was told) the risk of miscarriage is "only" 10% then. Also many people have immunity because they have had Fifths, but didn't know it or don't remember it. When I was 12 weeks pregnant Fifths Disease went around my kindergarten classroom (I was a teacher). I freaked out and ended up taking a few days off to limit my exposure while I waited on the results from my blood test to see whether I was immune or not. It turned out I had antbodies to it meaning I had had the illness at some point in my life. And again I was told that many people are in this situation. I know it's hard, but try not to worry-chances are everything will be fine.

starrynight
05-07-2004, 01:03 AM
I will keep you in my prayers that you are either immune already or that you don't catch it.

vikivoly
05-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Try not to worry. I was exposed to fifth's disease (never even heard of the darn thing before!) when I was about 12 weeks pregnant. I took the blood test and found out that I had already had it at some point, so I was immune. My OB said the same as yours, most people had it as a child and are immune.

Let us know how it turns out!

Sarah1
05-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Stacey,

No advice, just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, and keep us posted! It sounds like you're in the clear, but let us know, OK???

And feel free to PM/e-mail me if there's anything I can do to help.... :)

StaceyKim
05-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, the good news is I have the immunity to Fifths (meaning I was exposed to the disease long ago and cannot get it again).

For others that are pregnant and have other children/babies or are around children/babies....my doctor said this is a very serious thing to contract while you are pregnant and a lot of people do not already have the immunity (like me). There are conflicting reports saying that most people DO have the immunity because they were exposed as a child but my doc said the opposite.

The symptoms in a child/baby are runny nose, cough, and most importantly cheeks that look like they have just been slapped. So pretty red. By this time, they are not longer contag.! So, there is no way to prevent being exposed because the symptoms are not there. Also, some run a fever. The disease is transmitted through saliva. Then after the rash on the face goes away they get a "lace" like rash on their torso, arms, etc. Basically, it is good to be aware of this and if your child or some child that you are in close contact with has this and you are pregnant you HAVE to call your OB and get the blood tests.