PDA

View Full Version : digital SLR cameras

calebsmama03
05-06-2004, 05:41 PM
DH and I are looking into digital cameras and want a nice but affordable one. We're looking at the Minolta Dimage 7i 5MP camera - I found it for just over $600. Any experience with this one? Any other suggestions?
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

bjiang
05-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I have no experience with this camera, but you could find reviews on it at

http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

-- Bo

mattysmom
05-06-2004, 06:14 PM
I just got the Nikon D70 which is a digital SLR (you can change the lenses). I LOVE IT!! It cost $1000 or $1300 if you want the "kit" (which comes with a GREAT lens). I love that I can go to the park and take 100 pictures of ds and not worry about if only one comes out well. And there's no shutter lag so it's as quick as a regular film SLR. Feel free to email me if you have questions about it. Also, check out www.nikonians.com and www.twopeasinabucket.com - the photography message board - there's a good thread about the camera, as well as other useful threads about online developers, etc.

Did I say that I LOVE the camera??

egoldber
05-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Do you already have a film SLR with large-ish collection of lenses? If so, I would get a digital SLR that allows you to use the lenses you already have. We got a Nikon D1 (used, three years ago), since we already had an extensive collection of Nikon lenses.

Make sure to check out the used market for ANY digital SLR you are interested in. They are generally readily available used and for good prices.

If you don't currently have a large-ish collection of lenses, then I would look at the types of lenses you would want to buy and get the digital SLR that will let you use those. Over time, the price of lenses always FAR FAR outweighs the price of a camera body.

HTH,

mattysmom
05-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I want to echo Beth's message. I already had a Nikon body with 3 lenses so it made the most sense for me to get a digital SLR that was compatible.

calebsmama03
05-07-2004, 02:48 PM
I don't yet have an SLR camera but have wanted one for several years. With the rise in digital (and the convenience of it) it seems to make sense to go ahead and get a digital SLR rather than just a film one. I'm a huge admirer/lover of photagraphy and want to start learning more and doing more myself.

Thanks for all the links and advice. I will check those out.

ETA: THanks also for pointing out about used. I was leary about buying used/refurb but perhaps it's worth a look to get a nicer camera in my price point...
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

egoldber
05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
We have bought ALL our cameras and most of our lenses used. You save a ton of money. Also, companies discontinue lenses for newer ones with more bells and whistles, which you may or may not want.

In addition to eBay (which we have used many times) check to see if you have a high end camera store in your area. They often have a good selection of used equipment, and often give a 90 day warranty.

Some big on-line places, like B&H Photo Video in New York also sell used or re-furbished cameras.

I don't know anything about that Minolta camera, but here's some food for thought. Since you are starting your lens collection from scratch, I would encourage you to purchase either a Nikon or a Canon body. The reason I say this is because both Nikon and Canon have by far the largest body of lenses and accessories available on the market, both new and used. If you should ever decide to upgrade to a nicer body or get a film SLR, you can stay in the Canon or Nikon family and use all the accessories you already have for the new camera. And the whole point of an SLR is to be able to get the lenses and accessories you really want and need.

Many high end shops will let you rent a camera body and lens. I would try out both a Nikon and a Canon to see which style you prefer. Generally people tend to prefer one or the other for various reasons.

HTH,

llcoddington
05-07-2004, 03:56 PM
We have both a Nikon N80 SLR and a Nikon CoolPix 3100 digital. We are thinking of going completely digital. But, we hesitate simply because we love the quality of pictures we get with our N80. Could we get the same quality with a digital? (a digital SLR)

It's definitly a HUGE advantage to have a digital when you have kids! Right now we just go back and forth from the N80 to the digital. We get good pictures on both, but would like to have one camera to haul around!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

egoldber
05-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes. You will get comparable quality with a good digital SLR. Just like with a film SLR, its all in the lenses, flash and other accessories.

HTH,

calebsmama03
05-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks Beth! I'll check out used. I think I may scrap the idea of the Minolta because after reading reviews, although it is supposedly a good camera it is "SLR-type", so the lens is not interchangable. I think we're going to take a "field trip" the Wolf or Mike's camera (the only camera shops I know of here) tomorrow to check out different models and get a rudimentary education in buying a digital SLR :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

heidi_timms
05-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Buy.com had some refurbished ones in their clearance section that were 5MP's. They are worth a look. We also have bought from big electronic dealers off of ebay.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

egoldber
05-08-2004, 10:57 AM
I've never heard of Mike's, but I strongly urge you to check your Yellow Pages for high end camera shops. The folks at Wolf Camera usually know nothing about high end cameras.

HTH,

ddmarsh
05-08-2004, 09:54 PM
I just purchased this camera (the Minolta) and love, love, love it. Of course I'm coming to this from the Canon A70 so it's like a dream compared to that :). I did lots of research and one of the biggest draws was the shutter lag tests which I have found to be very true - it's virtually nonexistent.

calebsmama03
05-09-2004, 12:54 AM
I looked at the D70 today - VERY nice camera! I'm sold, now I just need to find a good price - tough since it's so new :( I wonder how long it will take till it starts turning up used? Ebay seems to be going for at or above retail! Unfortunately it's about $400 more than I was originally hoping to spend (with the lens kit, etc.) but the quality seems worth it.

These boards are so dangerous! I came for input on a $650 camera and leave wanting a $1200 camera! Yikes...
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

egoldber
05-09-2004, 12:29 PM
OK, think LENSES. :) The thing with the SLR is the lenses. What lenses do you want to be able to use and why? In general, the lenses that come bundled in starter kits tend to be cheaper, lesser quality lenses. If I were you, I'd find a used body on eBay and then find a couple other lenses you really like.

If you are not planning to buy 2-3 other lenses and an extrernal flash, frankly, I wouldn't get a SLR.

HTH,

egoldber
05-09-2004, 12:29 PM
oops...double post

calebsmama03
05-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Beth -
Having had no previous experience with high end (or SLR) cameras I'm a bit at a loss. I've planned for several years to buy one and take a few classes but have just now gotten the motivation (and some money) to actually DO it. My plan is to get the D70 body with a decent basic lens to start out with and as I get more informed and improve my technique purchase more lenses, flash and other accessories with the intent of doing pictures for myself and family/friends.

That said, I have no idea what would be a good lens to start out with. Given that money will be an issue and I can't find the D70 used because it is too new, the camera shop I visited suggested the kit, which comes with a Nikon 18-70 Lens for about $1300. They told me this lens retails for around $600 but it reduced to $300 with the kit. I also found a kit online with 2 lenses with the D70 body for just over $1200, which is a good price, but not if the lenses aren't good quality. It comes with a Sigma 28-80mm Autofocus Lens and a Sigma 70-300mm Autofocus Lens. I'm still researching myself a bit, but do you have an opinion, Beth (since you seem to be our resident "pro" :) )? Obviously I like the idea of 2 lenses for essentially the same price, but if the quality is poor then it wouldn't make sense to buy it. I appreciate any advice since I'm making a big investment essentially "blind" before I know much on the subject!

Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

llcoddington
05-09-2004, 02:10 PM
When we first purchased our film Nikon SLR, we bought the body separate and then bought a Tamron 28-200 lens. I think this is a good lens to start out with, simply because we didn't have to switch lenses. And, when we were learning how to use our camera, the last thing we wanted was to be confused about which lens to use. We were confused enough by how to operate the thing! We have learned quite a bit (and are still learning) and now would feel more comfortable with different lenses. Just a thought...

Edited to add: I don't think the Tamron 28-200 is the greatest lens, but worked for us and wasn't expensive.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

egoldber
05-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Before buying anything, I would read a bit about photography in general. I like this site for general info. He is very opinionated, but I find what he says to make sense.

www.photo.net
http://www.photo.net/equipment/what-camera-should-I-buy
http://www.photo.net/equipment/what-camera-should-I-buy#35mmslr
http://www.photo.net/equipment/what-camera-should-I-buy#digital
http://www.photo.net/making-photographs/lens
http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D70/index.html

Some of his info is a trifle outdated, but the basic stuff is still true.

I am FAR from an expert or a pro. And we have the benefit of having gradually expanded our camera and accessories collection over 10+ years.

When looking at lenses, make sure to pay attention to the second number. The smaller that number, the better the lens is able to use available light. This is actually quite important for taking photos indoor and of moving objects (like toddlers :) ). An f2.8 lens is always going to outperform a f4.5 or f5.6 lens.

A great lens offered by both Nikon and Canon is the 50mm/f1.8 lens. They are generally cheap (around $100) and take excellent photos. I could use this one lens well over 50% of the time and not be unhappy. Another indispensible lens is a 24mm/f2.8. This one retails new for around $250. These two lenses would satisfy most of your photography needs. Other lenses to think about for the future are a long lens and a macro lens.

You will also want an external flash. These are generally in the $200 - $400 range.

HTH,

mattysmom
05-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi Lynne,
I wrote earlier to put in my plug for the D70 and I'm glad to hear that you saw it (and liked it!) I bought the kit, because as you know, the lens it comes with is an excellent one and Nikon gives you a bit of a break if you buy the kit. I have the N80 and have a 50 mm 1.8 along with two telephoto lenses, but since I got the kit, I honestly haven't even used my other lenses, just the one that came with the kit. And my ds is just 2 weeks older than yours, so we're probably taking similar shots (which are difficult to get now that he's moving so quickly!) While $1300 is a lot of $$, I did a lot of rationalizing - and it was my Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary/Mother's Day, etc present - and it is totally worth no other presents for a long time! Someday I'd like to get a flash, and other accessories, but for now, the kit is perfect.

I've had the camera a little over a month now and have enjoyed it SO much - I take 100 pictures in a sitting and love that it doesn't matter if only 1 comes out well. I also recommend the Sandisk Ultra II card - I have the 512 mb and it's on sale now for around $120. You can get 300+ shots with good settings. And the battery lasts really long - I've only charged it once and have taken hundreds of pictures. Do check out www.nikonians.net because there's a whole discussion on this camera - and people really love it.
Do feel free to email me with any questions. And, while there are no good deals on the camera since it's so new and in such high demand, you can get it from a number of places with no tax/no shipping.

Ali

papal
05-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Any recommendations?

egoldber
05-10-2004, 09:29 AM
The best I know of is Penn Camera. I go to the one in Tysons (at 7 and 123), but there is also a store in DC. If you want to come to Tysons one day, let me know and we'll do lunch! :)

The Tysons store has a good used camera and lens selection (its where we bought our D1). The store in DC has the big rental center.

HTH,

papal
05-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks, sounds like a good idea to me! :)
We have an old film Nikon N6006 SLR camera.. it is time to go digital!!

egoldber
05-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Oh, I have a 6006! I LOVE that camera!!!!!!!

But with kids, digital is SOOOO much easier. :)

papal
05-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Easier and CHEAPER. We have spent a small fortune on developing film.....not to mention that i want to wring the neck of salesman at Ritz camera everytime i see him....incompetent, lazy-a$$ed buffoon. phew.. had to get that off my chest.