PDA

View Full Version : Funny little tic - anybody ever seen this?

ncmommy
05-06-2004, 08:31 PM
I am calling the doctor tomorrow, but I thought I'd check to see if anybody else has experienced this. DS is 14 months old, and for the past two months I've noticed him doing this funny little thing with his mouth - he moves his jaw to one side, and while at first I thought he was doing it on purpose, it doesn't seem like a voluntary movement to me. He's doing it more and more, and DH has finally agreed with me that something isn't right. I'm starting to really worry that something is wrong with him. Anybody ever seen this kind of thing before?

JLiebCamm
05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Is it when his mouth is open or closed? Or is it when he starts to open his mouth? A problem with the TMJ can cause a sideways mouth deviation when you move the mouth (although you typically hear about this with adults, not babies).

jubilee
05-07-2004, 03:01 AM
My 12 month old sometimes holds his jaw funny, but I realized he is just playing around with his teeth... so not quite what you descibed. Hope the doc sheds some light on it!

ncmommy
05-07-2004, 08:05 AM
He does it with his mouth open , and sometimes he follows it with opening his mouth open and closing it over and over again, as if he is saying da-da, but he isn't speaking at the time. I guess this might make the TMJ theory make sense if his little jaw is clicking or something. I just hope this isn't serious.