PDA

View Full Version : I've had a breakthrough in SAHPing

deborah_r
05-07-2004, 11:49 AM
I know I've read it before, but it just did not really click. And I also didn't really want to hear it, since I am not a morning person. Yesterday and today I got up at 6am (mostly due to coughing and congestion) and took a shower. Kai keeps sleeping til about 8am! It is great! Even though we co-sleep, I just put pillows around him and DH and I peek in their quite often. He barely moves, because he has just nursed around 5:45 or 6. I would like to change that part to where I can move him to his crib, I know he just needs to get used to it. (he wakes up and cries if I try to transition him)

Usually I just sleep until it is obvious that Kai is not going back to sleep. But this is like saying "I have to get up and ready for my job - which is SAHPing!"

So now I need to work on scheduling what I will do with my time before he wakes up - because now I mostly sit here going - "Wow, I'm awake. I didn't know the sun came up this early..." And then I can take him for a walk right when he wakes up, then breakfast.

Oh, the fun we'll have!!! (half kidding there, it IS work afterall :) )

houseof3boys
05-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Hee Hee, just laughing at your comment about the sun coming up this early.

I think you'll be happy and more relaxed when Kai gets used to his crib. The part about having to go back and check on him with the pillows around him is the part that doesn't let you guys relax ver much. We only co-slept part time, but the pillow trick didn't work for us. Ryan fell out of the bed once after he climbed right over the pillow. He wasn't hurt, just scared and didn't understand the falling part that had happened but he landed on DH's sweatpants that were lying right there from the night before. The crib transition took about a solid week of his fussing and crying. I sat in there on the floor next to his crib for 5 minutes and read his books outloud. I also put a favorite book or a favorite toy in the crib with him so when he stopped fussing he would realize he could play with something.

But speaking of scheduling, I just started that this week and decided to be more strict about my scheduling cleaning. My house is a disaster area and I go into freak out mode when someone is coming over and I hate that. I figured I could clean for 30 minutes during his afternoon nap while watching TV (okay, so I watch DOOL :)) and that would make a big difference.

Glad it clicked for you Deb.

suribear
05-07-2004, 01:19 PM
DS sleeps with us. When he sleeps in, I just put pillows around and leave the monitor on and run up when I hear a noise. Works for us! Before that I would stay in the room and put away laundry and stuff, but it's nice to have the flexibility. He would wake up if we try to move him into the crib, which is essentially an expensive toy chest.

When he's older we'll probably move him to the floor near our bed.

For us, the benefits of "co-sleeping" (I hate all these terms LOL) far outweigh the cons. Good luck!

Kris

alkagift
05-07-2004, 03:07 PM
I've been thinking about doing this too--right now I'm trying to shower during Matthew's morning nap and for some reason his am nap is deteriorating, so the shower is getting shorter and more dubious! I also was talking to my aunt about how she gets up with her DH when he goes to work so that they can have breakfast together, which seems nice. However, MY DH gets up at 5:30!

By the way, we didn't co-sleep but we did have a bassinet in our room for a long time and we were able to transition to a crib by starting with naps--the am first, then the pm, and we did that for almost a month before we did it at night, if that helps.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-07-2004, 04:19 PM
AHHHH you might inspire me to get up pre bugaboo!!!!
He sleeps in which is great, but I sleep into so it doesn't help my schedule much...
So glad you shared this!!!
Steve doesn't wake till like 7:45 so if I got up early I could take a stroll, drink coffee play withe pups...

But in my defense we stay up real late so it might be hard but I hope I can do it...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

deborah_r
05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
He takes naps in his crib, and starts the night in his crib, til about midnight or 1:00. But in the morning he gets very upset if I try to move him before he is "up" for the day. I think I can work on it though!

Well, I took a 45 minute walk, but it went downhill from there. Talked on the phone a bit, and my building is having water problems and I haven't been allowed to use the water in the kitchen, so the kitchen is a disaster.

But tomorrow's a new day, right?!?

AngelaS
05-08-2004, 07:41 AM
I always get up before my girls and it's truly a wonderful time! :D I can get SO much done without helpers that I go in spurts of getting up earlier and earlier to work on projects. LOL My friends know they can call me before 7 (when the girls get up) 'cause most likely I've been up since 5, or 4 or even before.... :D