PDA

View Full Version : OT-Grilling recipes

cara1
05-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Provided the weather holds up, we're having everyone over for a Mother's Day BBQ. Usually it's just burgers, dogs, or BBQ chicken. I'm looking for something more exciting (though not difficult) to do with chicken. I'm thinking kabobs, but even when I've done that, it's just slathering on BBQ sauce. Any other great crowd-pleasing recipes out there? Side dishes?

C99
05-07-2004, 06:54 PM
My husband came up with this great BBQ sauce last summer: 4 parts Cardini Original Caesar dressing, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part white-wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

votre_ami03
05-07-2004, 07:19 PM
I love the McCormick Grill Mates marinades, the teryaki & mesquite are my fav's, especially the mesquite.

I also like seasoninng w/lemon pepper.

As far as sides:
grilled portabella mushrooms
Bush's baked beans
Pasta salad
mac & cheese
fruit
potato/macaroni salad
tossed salad
Corn on the cob grilled
baked taters

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

brubeck
05-07-2004, 07:23 PM
We do kabobs with homemade marinade all the time. Basically one part lemon juice to 3 parts garlic olive oil, then add minced onion, Lawry's BBQ salt, black pepper, oregano and basil. Reserve 1/3 of marinade. Soak meat and/or mushrooms in the fridge overnight, then assemble kabobs the4 next morning. Use reserved 1/3 for brushing on while BBQing.

I have also used this marinade for steaks and chicken and it works very well! In fact I am doing some this afternoon for a BBQ tomorrow.

As for side dishes, I usually do garlic bread with meat-only entrees (ie: not hot dogs or burgers that have buns/bread already) and grilled veggies. Brush the veggies with olive oil before grilling. You can also take THICK slices of tomato and zucchini and spread them onto 1/2 a piece of foil. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle parmesan cheese on them. Fold over and fold the edges, then grill for 5 minutes. Yummy!

brigmaman
05-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges glazed with brown sugar...recipe to come tomorrow. (I'm not home and don't have a computer, but I have yummy recipes to add tomorrow!)
Chicken breast butterflied and pounded thin. Stuff with tomato and summer squash or zucchini. Close with toothpick and grill.
Add cheese when almost cooked through.
I have a great steak marinade that I just made the other night. Ugh...I'll add the rest tomorrow.
Marinade
2 medium onions
1 tsp beau monde seasonings
1/4 cup gravy master or kitchen bouquet
1 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
Throw ingredients in a blender until liquified. I marinate for about 8 hours.

cara1
05-07-2004, 08:13 PM
How do you grill your portabellos? I remember ruining a few last summer. Thanks for the other great ideas, though...

brubeck
05-07-2004, 11:03 PM
I always marinate them beforehand and brush with oil-based marinade while grilling. Otherwise they are too dry and charred at the edges.

August Mom
05-08-2004, 03:11 PM
This is really good and very tasty. It may not be for the very calorie-conscious, though.

Basil Grilled Chicken

3/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Press 3/4 teaspoon black pepper into sides of chicken breast halves.

2. Combine 1/3 cup melted margarine and 1/4 cup chopped basil. Stir well. Brush chicken lightly with melted butter mixture.

3. Combine 1/2 cup softened margarine, 2 tablespoons basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in small serving bowl. Set aside.

4. Grill chicken over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, basting frequently with remaining melted butter mixture. Alternatively, fry chicken breast halves in large skillet approximately 5 minutes on each side.

5. Serve grilled chicken with softened basil-butter mixture.

NOTE: I have also prepared this on a stove-top grill and by cooking the chicken breasts in a skillet until cooked through. These methods work just as well when you can't grill outside.

August Mom
05-08-2004, 03:12 PM
This is my favorite side when we grill. It's very tasty.

Ramen Noodle Coleslaw

1 package ramen noodles (chicken flavor)
1/2 sliced almonds
1 T. sesame seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T. white vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 ramen noodle seasoning packet
1 (16 oz.) package coleslaw mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Crush ramen noodles. Place noodles, almonds and sesame seeds on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, make dressing by mixing olive oil with vinegar, sugar, pepper and seasoning packet.

Toss coleslaw mix with dressing and noodle mixture. Serve.