PDA

View Full Version : ultrasound pictures-fade and disappear?

snp624
05-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Sorry for my ignorance if this is a common knowledge... I've read while ago on other message board that ultrasound pictures will fade and eventually disappear. (Japanese board, but they live in US, so I don't think they are talking about Japanese ultrasound.) I have my ultrasound pictures already scanned, but will photocopy them as back ups if this is true. Does anyone know?

TIA!

houseof3boys
05-08-2004, 11:55 PM
They will fade, so I would definitely color copy them (don't do b/w even though they are b/w since color will capture more information) or take them to one of those Kodak Picture Maker machines and make pics (they seem to always have coupons for CVS or Target).

I did a brief google on this just now and not laminating them kept coming up too!!!!

jubilee
05-08-2004, 11:59 PM
I have ultrasound pics that are over 12 years old (from my oldest son) and they still look the same.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Me too, I have ultrasound pics that are 13 years old and they still look just the same.

But that was an actual photo and the ones I got with Logan are just paper printouts, so maybe things are different now?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

pritchettzoo
05-09-2004, 01:33 AM
The paper printouts are heat-sensitive and will degrade over time, faster if exposed to high temperatures. You definitely shouldn't laminate them or you'll get one black blob. Color photocopies are safe, but the timeframe of the ink lasting on those is somewhat unknown as the technology hasn't been around for long enough to tell. (My dad is a Xerox tech rep and works on some of those machines--not just some random freaky knowledge). According to him, the safest bet is to scan them onto a disc for storage and get some printed out on photopaper--like you would regular film developing.

HTH!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

snp624
05-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I guess I will color-photocopy just so that I will have them as backups. We already burned all DD's pictures on CDs, so we are probably safe :)