PDA

View Full Version : OT - Cutlery Question

kfcboston
05-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Hello and happy mother's day! :)

I'm wondering where to get my Wusthof Santoku knife sharpened. This knife was a splurge for me and I LOVE it, and I use the sharpening tool in my butcher's block regularly, but it's time for a real tune up. I think I'm lacking to confidence to bother investing in a sharpening stone. I'm wary of just bringing it to the local hardware store since they ship it off site to God knows where. I know Wusthof has some "sanctioned" places to go on their site, but is THAT really necessary (they're few and far between)? There's also a small cutlery specialty store at a local mall, but it doesn't seem like anything special either.

Am I just being too anal? Anyone have any tips or experience with getting high quality knives sharpened?

TIA!

flagger
05-09-2004, 08:24 PM
If you have a Sur La Table nearby, they offer sharpening places. Santokus do need some skills to sharpen IMHO.

ppshah
05-09-2004, 09:04 PM
If you have a William Sonoma near you- I think they will sharpen it for. But it's probably a send out service as well. This reminds me I need to get my knives sharpened too.

Marisa6826
05-10-2004, 12:24 AM
I have that knife and LOVE it! It was my birthday present last year.

My local chef's store sharpens them. I don't think you can really sharpen it yourself well since it has those little divits in the side of the blade.

If nothing else, what about calling some of the better restaurants in your area and seeing who their chefs use?

-m

kfcboston
05-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Marisa -

Is that a place near you that sells equipment specifically for chefs and restaurants? I don't know of a place like that right nearby but I could hunt a little bit - sounds like a good option!

I do have Williams Sonoma nearby, which is also a possibility excpet that I'm hoping to avoid getting it shipped to no man's land......

Thanks!

Marisa6826
05-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Kate-

There are places that do restaurant sales only, but they're in NYC proper.

The place I'm speaking of is a store called Chef Central. It's consumer oriented, but for real foodies.

One of my favourite addictions!!

-m

PS- Aren't you in Boston? There has to be a chef's school in the city. They might even do it for you.