PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh teething...

Imperia
05-10-2004, 07:15 AM
For mother's day it appears Maddy has started teething. My poor little one was more cranky and fussy today than usual. Every once and awhile she would give me a half hearted smile; I just cuddled her close and comforted her as much as possible. She is usually all smiles and squeals, so this was a change for her!

As well as being fussy she had a slight temperature (around 100 degrees), and her upper gum (yes, I know the lower teeth usually erupt first, but I don't think so in her case!) is all white and if I run my finger over it I could feel little ridges unlike her bottom gum which is smooth and pink. Plus she is DROOLING all over the place. She started choking on it a couple of times it was so copious.

I am not sure what sort of teething items to give her beyond just the plastic type you refridgerate because she is SO young (not even 4 months old, but teeth show early in my family) and she is not eating any solids (I would like to keep it that way). I haven't given her Tyelnol either, but I suppose at 15 weeks she is old enough for it now? Would you suggest that? Do you give it as needed or just before bed? Her fever isn't high and it really doesn't seem to be bothering her much, but I figure the tylenol would help with the teething pain.

Anyone else had such an early teether? She seems to be taking it fairly well aside from being a little cranky.

Imperia

jbowman
05-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Imperia,

I think that Tylenol would be fine, but I would check with your ped. for the proper dosage for her age, weight, etc--you don't want to give her too much (I am very cautious about these things). HTH and good luck. Ellie is teething as well (but not an early teether), so I understand!

Imperia
05-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks!

I know she can't have ibuprofen/advil/motrin yet because she isn't 6 months old.

I am also super careful about medications, probably due to my time as a vet tech. Will they give me Tyelnol dosing info over the phone?

Imperia

Marisa6826
05-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Imperia-

Scroll down. There's a dosage chart for Tylenol on this link.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp

Good luck!

-m

momma_boo
05-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Tylenol is definitely fine. Ped suggested I give her some if she got a fever after she got her shots at 2 mos (which she did!).

The Sears site that Marisa bookmarked is a great site. Honestly, one time the peds office (nurse) gave me the wrong dosage for Robitussin. She told me to give the dosage for a 2-4 year old, I think. Thank goodness I remembered the site!

JenCA
05-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Julia started teething early, too (she had popped 6 teeth by the time she was 5 months old). We gave her Tylenol for pain, and I also bought homeopathic teething gel at Whole Foods (I didn't use infants' orajel because I tried it and it tasted HORRIBLE). Both things really seemed to help her pain, as well as freezer teething rings.