PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually pregnant after negative pregnancy test?

jk3
05-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Just curious how common this might be. Thanks!

JenCA
05-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Well, I took a home pregnancy test that gave me a positive result. Then, I saw my doctor, and took a test at her office that gave me a negative result. It turns out that because I tested early at home (three days before AF was late), my hCG levels were not high enough to be detected in the test I took at my doctors' office. A week later, I returned to my doctor's office, took another test, and got a + result.

jbowman
05-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I took an at-home pregnancy test (one of those early ones) and it came back negative. I took one again several days later (after I had missed my period) and it was positive. Needless to say I took 5 MORE at-home pregnancy tests (that all came back positive) before I had the pregnancy "confirmed" by my OB, LOL! I was like a pregnancy test "junkie"--DH kept saying, "Go to Target alone, I am not going to contribute to your addiction...you are pregnant!" It was really funny!

jojo2324
05-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Yes - I didn't know my cycle since I had only had it a few times after DS was born. I took a test, and it came out negative.

I took another one about two weeks later, and it was positive. (Again, *really* didn't know my cycle!)

Funny thing is, the second time I took it, I MISSED the stick!! Can you believe it?? So I had to chug about a gallon of water to make myself go again, and (ewwww) reused the test. Talk about keeping yourself in suspense! :)

Karenn
05-10-2004, 11:20 AM
When I was just pregnant with Colin I felt totally pregnant and could have checked off all sorts of things on the "Are you pregnant?" list and still tested negative. I even told my husband "Oh, don't worry, this thing is totally wrong. I AM pregnant." It was a couple of days before my period was due, but still within the recommended time frame on the test package.

Of course this time around, I didn't feel pregnant AT ALL but figured I'd better take the test anyway since we had been trying and I was a day or so late. Even though we were trying, I was still totally shocked.

jk3
05-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I know it's a case by case thing but I'm hoping that the test I took was inaccurate for some reason...! =)

flagger
05-10-2004, 12:06 PM
My friend never had a positive HPT with her first child. An HPT is more often likely to indicate a false negative than a false postitive. FWIW.

jk3
05-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Interesting. Thanks!

ChicagoMama
05-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Yep, with Sydney. And it wasn't an early pregnancy test, either.
Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

Sarah1
05-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Same here. My situation was the same as Joanne's, basically...my cycle was kind of irregular, so I think that threw it off.

atlbaby
05-10-2004, 11:26 PM
I got a negative pregnancy test with DD #1, and then a positive one a week later. My cycles have never been regular so I don't know if I was testing too early the first time, or what happened. Needless to say, I took about 5 once I got that positive result--just to make sure!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

jk3
05-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Still negative. Don't know what is going on! I'm consistently the textbook 28 day example + now it's already 31 days but negative yet again. This didn't happen the first time around so I'm assuming the tests are correct...? =0

caleymama
05-11-2004, 10:29 AM
It all depends on when you ovulated. If you ovulated a little later than normal, you could be late as a result. Lots of things can affect when you ovulate, but typically the time from when you do ovulate to when your period starts is supposed to be pretty consistent. I don't know what to tell you about the tests, but I hope you get an answer soon one way or the other :)

emilyr
05-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I don't remember discussing it in school, however, in my hospital and dr. office lab experience, there have been times when the urine was negative well into the pregnancy, while the blood test was positive. Also, and please DO NOT be offended anyone, but sometimes larger women do not show positive as early as smaller women (esp with urine vs blood). Just something my coworkers and I have observed.

Emily
(MT(ASCP))

jk3
05-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Not offended but I am on the petite side! I'm putting off dealing with this until next week. At that point, I should be able to figure this out! It's not as if we were technically tring but it would be a nice surprise...

Jenn
DS 6/3/03